Do you enjoy listening to Native American/First People/Indiginous music?

it is beautiful to listen to.

we have a large native american population in our region and the adjoining so we are very fortunate to have frequent opportunities to attend a wide variety of events and visit facinating places.

I know of one group, Ulali, thanks to the movie Smoke Signals.

i love this movie. we have an annual native american film festival near us and one year when my oldest was volunteering this was one of the featured films. several members of the cast as well as the author (who was born here) did a panel. prior to the panel my son spoke with the actor who played 'thomas builds the fire' (who is now a medical doctor in addition to periodic actor), he was just incredibly nice and shared facinating memories of filming the project.

have you watched either of the tv series 'dark winds' or 'reservation dogs'? both are fantastic and wildly different looks inside res. life.

if anyone is interested in a newer spin on native music-check out the band 'snotty nose rez kids'. i am not a big hip hop fan but the music they do is facinating.

Thank you! I heard of the board somewhere online. Long time Disney fan and there's so much good information here. I know what you mean about the VRs in the early and mid 19th century. I started my quest to help my Mom get into the DAR and had several brick walls before settling on an ancestor with the acceptable documentation.
One reason I'm trying to find out more about my N.A. ancestor (they would be from the Lenape) is that their family may have fought on the American side during the American Revolution. Of course this will be extremely difficult to prove but I'm up for the challenge. :confused3

I'm not familiar with Native American music I have to say, but I watch and listen to Native Hawaiian music and dance sometimes on YouTube.

I don't have any recordings but when I hear it on TikTok videos I always stop and listen as it brings back childhood memories of going to Powwow every year. My family is Osage and Quapaw and we are all meeting up with extended family at the end of the month to attend the Kihekah Steh Powwow in Oklahoma which I haven't been to in years. I just love the beating drum and singing.
Youtube has plenty of Native American music to listen to.

I'm not familiar with Native American music I have to say, but I watch and listen to Native Hawaiian music and dance sometimes on YouTube.
Youtube has many different kinds from a variety of tribes. If you google what tribes are originally from your area, you can then search for music that would have been played by those tribes.

Doesn't necessarily do anything for me, but there are a lot of different musical styles that I don't necessarily listen to.

I will enjoy a site, a museum. or any kind of program on native history. Been to quite a few of those at National Park Service and other public agencies. Seen a few petroglyphs too.

I have cd's I have collected from various Pow-wows around the upper midwest. Oneida near Green Bay was last weekend and I missed it. My tribe on the shores of Lake Superior have ours next month and I'm taking my kids for the first time. The week before I will be in DC and am planning to visit the Smithsonian Museum of the American Indian. Northern Cree actually has some songs in English as well as Cree.
i want some fry bread!
Fry bread is always a good thing. If you ever get to Denver, Tocabe is a native restaurant that offers very good fry bread with bison meat and indigenous vegetables. I had my wife learn from my step mother and grandmother how to make it. After 15 years she's got it nailed.

I have cd's I have collected from various Pow-wows around the upper midwest. Oneida near Green Bay was last weekend and I missed it. My tribe on the shores of Lake Superior have ours next month and I'm taking my kids for the first time. The week before I will be in DC and am planning to visit the Smithsonian Museum of the American Indian. Northern Cree actually has some songs in English as well as Cree.

Fry bread is always a good thing. If you ever get to Denver, Tocabe is a native restaurant that offers very good fry bread with bison meat and indigenous vegetables. I had my wife learn from my step mother and grandmother how to make it. After 15 years she's got it nailed.

i love bison! it's pretty common to find it as a burgar option near us but we have a place that offers a bison meatloaf that is phenominal. their elk salisbury steak is spectacular as well.

We sometimes attended the annual Pow Wow in Pittsburgh when we lived there. I like learning about other cultures.

We have visited the National Museum of the American Indian in DC. They sometimes have music.

I enjoyed the Taos pueblo in New Mexico.

I enjoy all types of music, Robbie Robertson's (of the Band) first solo album had a lot of sounds exploring his native heritage.

Do you enjoy listening to Native American/First People/Indiginous music? I have since I was a kid because it let me feel a connection to my Native American lineage that I know so little about (but I have been trying over the years to learn more about it). Do you find the music calming or interesting? Have fun with the thread and please be respectful. :-):music:🌎

Yep. I sometimes listen to Northern Cree. Supaman has some cool music videos on Youtube which I like a lot. His style has a lot of hip hop elements to it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter