Do you get what you request?

fishermouse

DVC owner SSR/AKV
After reading a post on the smoking thread about not getting a NS room I was curious. How often and how many of our requests do we actually get. It's not unusual for me to have to remind the CM at the desk of a request I made.

get them pretty often. but I arrive early. arriving late you don't have much to pick from.

the only place I have trouble getting a non-smoking was HH. they only have one non-smoking room left. they were trying to save it. well I mentioned that I am allergic to tobacco and that ended that argument.

of course that is on my records with DVC - that might be why I have never had a problem.

I think the answer is probably directly related to the number and type of requests made.

For instance, if someone requests a specific room number, chances are they will not get it...but their "request" would NOT have been granted.

In over 30 trips to OKW, I have always gotten my most important request (non-smoking) except for one time...and it was my choice to accept a "smoking optional" room, as we had arrived at 8:30am after driving all night and wanted "a room" rather than waiting until 4pm for a non-smoking unit. Location requsts have been "hit or miss", bt realy, at least at OKW, one room is pretty much like any other...with only a couple buildings that have less than stellar views from the balcony.

I've always gotten my no smoking room request, which is always my most important request. I usually don't care too much about the location of the room, but if I have a preferred water/garden view at the Boardwalk, I usually request a view overlooking Heritage Green, and I've always gotten it.

After reading a post on the smoking thread about not getting a NS room I was curious. How often and how many of our requests do we actually get. It's not unusual for me to have to remind the CM at the desk of a request I made.

Always the no smoking request.

More often than not any other request (king bed or specific trail/savannah view at AKL, for example).

I'm talking the resorts, FYI, not DVC. We haven't had our first DVC stay yet, so...

I agree with Chuck, it all depends on the number of requests made. We always ask for non-smoking and have always gotten it (even when checking in at 1AM).

Sometimes we've asked for close to HH at OKW and didn't get it but really didn't care.

Maybe that should be another post? List your requests! Might be interesting to see what people ask for. Mine would be very boring - NS or NS and close to HH.

Cyn

Never have gotten a location request.

Have gotten our nonsmoking request 66% of the time.

Have gotten NS request all but once and that was for an OKW GV checking in Dec 27th. The CM at check in started right off saying that they had been unable to give me a NS GV but her supervisor said to make sure we knew it had been thoroughly cleaned and desmoked. It was 8am and I was thrilled to get it that early so didn't complain. When I got in the unit I could still smell some of the desmoking and cleaning process so opened windows, the patio doors and turned on fans. By afternoon it was fine. Usually my requests are NS, upper floor and near a pool. Sometimes it is just NS and upper floor. Once I asked for NS, and building location in building 30 or above because of someone sleeping in living room and wanting access to bathroom through laundry room. This next trip I am planning to ask for NS, upper floor overlooking bus stop at CP - my DH likes that area so he can sit on balcony and people watch. In all situations I will trade any of the other requests for NS. I agree keeping the requests minimal seems to make it easier to get them.

The only request we make on our reservation is nonsmoking and we've always gotten it. I usually don't make a location request, but on our last trip we had friends at BWV that checked in a day earlier than we did. We checked in at 9:00 on a Sunday morning, and I just asked if we could be on the same floor as our friends. They gave us a room three doors down, and it was ready!

Number of requests does make a difference, often it's a trade off, I always ask for NS upper floor, then DTD view at SSR. I'll give up the upper floor for the view as long as it's not ground floor, I prefer an open patio door and windows to air conditioning. Cm's have always described room when it is assigned and I will remind them if it's not what I want or even ask to see what's available and pick. All this is done with lots of honey, Cm's are gracious and very accomodating (IF POSSIBLE). I do think that somehow your room should be linked to the requests you've made and when you reserved. Just because you check in late you should not have to get whatever is left when you made reervations 11 months out, I can call 1 month out and if I get there at the right time I get the best room. Not really a fair way to do it. They know what will be available each morning and should assign rooms accordingly.

we are making only our 3rd DVC trip this summer, so all of this is good information...on our first two trips, we have requested NS, non-handicapped accessible, and upper floor. we haven't had any trouble getting all of these requests - although we have always checked in early. for our upcoming JUN trip, we will not be checking in until after 1100p.....anyone have an opinion on whether we'll get our NS request (at BCV studio) by checking in that late?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment2
Sometimes we've asked for close to HH at OKW and didn't get it but really didn't care.Cyn

No... not another post.... I need to know what this request means.

Hospitality House at OKW....you know...where you check-in, Olivias, Community Hall, near the pool. :)

We only request n/s and we always get it. Nothing else is really that important to us. We occasionally request water view as well at OKW and have always gotten that also.

We always have non-smoking and have always gotten it with DVC. I've only just started making additional requests like upper floor at SSR or specific building ranges at OKW. My last trip we arrived at 7 p.m. and were put in room 4810 in OKW which is a disabled room. We were not told that it was the disabled room, so when we got there, we were disappointed. It was our 7th annual girlfriends trip and one of the girls really likes to take a bath - which she obviously couldn't do as there was just a shower. Also the refrigerator was placed right beside the bed - not conducive to sleeping - we could've moved it, I suppose, but there wasn't really anywhere else to move it to where it would not be in the way.

Anyway, I immediately called to see if we could change but they were all sold out of studios for that night but they could move us the next day. So we did that -- I expressed my disappointment about our room assignment as the room did not meet my expectations when we made the reservations (although in hindsight I supposed I should've realized there is always the possibility to be assigned a disabled room). We were also deprived of the use of a room for the day as we could not get into our new room until close to 4 p.m. (deprived is too strong of a word because it was our choice to move). I asked if there was any way they might compensate us for our inconvenience (I was thinking a free ice cream or even a balloon - just something....) but they informed me that they were ALREADY doing me a big favor by allowing us to move and not charging us for the room change (apparently DVC owners who request a room change are charged?) FWIW, we moved ourselves, and yes, I know that housekeeping had to come clean the room since we had spent one night in it.

FWIW, the original room we were assigned was not very fresh - it didn't appear to have been occupied for a while - there was quite a build-up of dust on ledges and it smelled like it had been closed up for a bit. The CM I spoke to when I called to change rooms was a bit surprised that we were in it until she checked and saw they were sold out.

We enjoyed our new room assignment - building 23, upper floor, non-smoking - so I got all the things we wanted. I really didn't care except that we needed non-smoking and a bathtub :)

So far we only ask for non-smoking and that is always what we have gotten. :thumbsup2

I've been on a lucky streak so far (knock on wood) and have always gotten what we asked.

We only request n/s and so far, we've gotten it.

Once we've got that, I'll sometimes ask a CM if there is a n/s near HH, or a n/s with some other benefit we'd enjoy. But as long as we get n/s, we're happy.

We really need non smoking, and so far we have always gotten it. Other requests have been hit or miss. We just think of it as a bit of extra pixie dust if we get 'em.

We have gotten: rooms near other family members, rooms with a DTD view at SSR, rooms close to DTD when walking at SSR, and rooms close to the Turtle Krawl play area at OKW.

We have not gotten: rooms close to HH at OKW

So I guess we mostly get our requests. Other than the non-smoking, we wouldn't be upset at all if we didn't get them.

I've only had one one DVC stay so far but all my requests were met. I had the perfect room for me. I know in all likelihood that will never happen again but I'll be happy as long as it's NS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter