Do you have a job which

Police officer with no degree. Same with DH. We each made enough that we could have supported our family on just one of the incomes (in a much more modest lifestyle). Together, we were very comfortable. The second career, I now have a degree but it is not needed at all for my job - I got it just to say I did. I could not support a family of four on what I make at this job alone but we have other sources of income. DH is making six figures in his second career with no degree.

BIL went into a trade and supported a family of three with his wife, the one with the degree, barely contributing.

Other BIL supporting a family of four on a police officer's salary with a stay home wife.

However, just to give some information for my City's Fire department while you don't have to have a college degree to get a job you do have to completed multiple certifications including "Current Kansas and/or National Registry EMT or Paramedic certification, Firefighter I or II certificates (preferred), Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) certification, Fire Service Entrance Exam (FSEE) certification and that is a minimum. In addition they explicitly state "Preference will be given to candidates with current fire service or paramedic experience, fire science or related degree."
Yes, very true.

In addition, Vince missed out on a number of early applications to several departments, because college degree does give 'points' in the selection process. Maybe a department was looking for 4 recruits. Maybe 75 applicants turn out. They are all ranked using a multitude of ranking items, one being a degree. Once he did make the first department, that was the key to the future. And paramedic degree is a definite requirement today.

In 1979 when I graduated from University you wouldn't even get a job interview in my industry without a Bachelors Degree.
In July 2021 when I retired I worked with two people with their Masters, everyone else but the shift supervisor had a Bachelors Degree. The shift supervisor never went to College, not even a Junior College, just had a High School Diploma, but she did have 15 years real world working experience.

Here in Germany most don’t have degrees and make good money and or can support families. But here there is much respect ( and living pay) for jobs that only require apprenticeships or vocational training.

Back at home in the US I had family that made living salary as truck driver, insurance rep, flight attendent, welder etc. and electrician oh and “factory” workers. - but they were unionized and had great pay/ benefits
Wow, this is a timely post for me. My daughter is 32, and is flying to Berlin tomorrow and will be visiting University campuses next week. She wants to enroll in a Masters program, she has her Bachelors in Government. These Universities are heavily recruiting American students. So University is tuition free in Germany? The programs she is looking at include the University securing the Student Visas you need, and housing and cost right around $24,000 for two years.
I found it interesting, that other than asking for a copy of her University diploma, the only transcripts they ask for are her High School transcripts.
In the back of her mind is getting a job in Germany upon graduation. For some reason she is very interested in living in Germany permanently. Her Great-Grandfather was German, and we know little about why he left Germany in 1900 and he died in 1921 so we have little information other than he started a business in China in the early 1900s and moved to California in 1912.

I do not have a degree. I started taking law enforcement technology in community College. I was hired as a police officer while still attending. I left college and found they were teaching almost the same thing I had been taking in school. .in one case even using the same textbook. It was a waste of time and money back then. (1980).
Retired 20 years later and went to computer learning center for hardware. I did graduate but when I got into the field I realized that anyone could do hardware. It was the relationships between the hardware and software that was important. Fast forward 20 years. Actually more like 15. I've been the project manager for a government help desk for that time. No degree. Looking forward to retiring for the second and final time.
I do the hiring for my contract. I don't care if you have a degree, I look for intelligence and an excellent telephone presence. I realize that the rest of the world doesn't operate that way. Everyone wants a four year degree just to be a receptionist. I strongly believe In trade schools. I wish there were more managers like me out there willing to give e a young person a shot who couldn't go to college for one reason or another. Actually being honest, I'd rather hire someone older on a second career than someone right out of college. But that's just me.

No degree (did go to college for about a year & a half), make a excellent living, could support myself if need be.
Same for my husband, although over the years he has taken advantage of various certificate programs offered by employers. We are both in trade, which has provided very well for our family.

I do not have a degree. I started taking law enforcement technology in community College. I was hired as a police officer while still attending. I left college and found they were teaching almost the same thing I had been taking in school. .in one case even using the same textbook. It was a waste of time and money back then. (1980).
Retired 20 years later and went to computer learning center for hardware. I did graduate but when I got into the field I realized that anyone could do hardware. It was the relationships between the hardware and software that was important. Fast forward 20 years. Actually more like 15. I've been the project manager for a government help desk for that time. No degree. Looking forward to retiring for the second and final time.
I do the hiring for my contract. I don't care if you have a degree, I look for intelligence and an excellent telephone presence. I realize that the rest of the world doesn't operate that way. Everyone wants a four year degree just to be a receptionist. I strongly believe In trade schools. I wish there were more managers like me out there willing to give e a young person a shot who couldn't go to college for one reason or another. Actually being honest, I'd rather hire someone older on a second career than someone right out of college. But that's just me.
Yeah, my son quit College after 5 years, 16 units short of his degree in Computer IT.
Went to work for an IT company on the Help Desk. Got let go after 2 years because he refused to get any Microsoft Certifications.
Went to work for another IT company on the Help Desk. That company didn't care about Microsoft Certifications, just that you could fix hardware and software issues. My son was shocked that some of their clients were still running Windows 98 Second Edition. Boss pointed out that he had tried to upgrade those clients, but clients pointed out upgrades would do nothing but cost them money. So boss checks those accounts. They paid the same month fee, yet generated far fewer calls for service than clients that upgraded. So Figure.
Son left and took an IT job with a State Agency. Holidays off. 9 to 5 Monday through Friday, no more call ins at 2 am because everything can wait until normal business hours. And all he works on now is e-mail issues. Always made more than I ever made with a degree.

No, I am a nurse and I actually have 2 four year degrees. I have a degree in Organizational Communication and PR and then 10 years later I went back for nursing.
My husband didn't go to college and makes significantly more money than I do! So unfair!

Yes… at one point it did not require, then it did, and today it does not require a degree.

I’m an airline pilot. I got in somewhere between the two requires. Actually toward the first require, but I had more than enough real life experience to overcome that.
Still requires a lot of actual experience.

Yes, it is quite lucrative.

I think as one job seeks, higher levels (Director/VP/SVP), these tend to have more stringent requirements related to degrees, but this is often to ensure candidates have the basic communication / business acumen skill-sets. Again, this is not always the rule, but fairly common.

I think honestly these requirements at this level It’s all the company image. They want their name also put up on a pedestal when you have board members, VP level personal bios representing the company. It also looks good for a company If their top leaders have initials after their name - at our company, one of our board members all of a sudden was doing Harvard executive programs. I’m talking after 30 years of experience. He only had your basic bachelor degree. representing the company. If you made it to this level in management on a corporate level, you don’t need an MBA to give you the business inside that you need. You already have it through experience and networking.

I was actually chitchatting with my BF about our jobs the other day. It’s really funny, but at her company, there’s a senior VP who is basically been crowned the golden heir apparent. He’s your typical mid 30s, male, politically savvy, but really has no true work know-how, but somehow worked his way up because he had the right connections.

The hilarious thing is this guy doesn’t have a masters. ( MBA). And it’s kind of a company secret and he enrolled just recently in some random right now MBA program part-time. Fridays he has his calendar blocked for school but most people assume it’s for work is kind of like an embarrassment that he doesn’t have it yet at that level so they’re kind of low-key about it.

My friend is mid management and they’re all just behind the scene, rolling their eyes and laughing saying that this guy’s been doing his job “OK” for this long without one and now all the sudden he needs to have that stamp “MBA“ more to save the company’s face, not his own

Last edited:
I was actually chitchatting with my BF about our jobs the other day. It’s really funny, but at her company, there’s a senior VP who is basically been crowned the golden heir apparent. He’s your typical mid 30s, male, politically savvy, but really has no true work know-how, but somehow worked his way up because he had the right connections.

The hilarious thing is this guy doesn’t have a masters. ( MBA). And it’s kind of a company secret and he enrolled just recently in some random right now MBA program part-time. Fridays he has his calendar blocked for school but most people assume it’s for work is kind of like an embarrassment that he doesn’t have it yet at that level so they’re kind of low-key about it.

My friend is mid management and they’re all just behind the scene, rolling their eyes and laughing saying that this guy’s been doing his job “OK” for this long without one and now all the sudden he needs to have that stamp “MBA“ more to save the company’s face, not his own
I work with our Organizational Development (OD), HR and Executive Talent Acquisition (TA) teams quite a bit.
In our company (large global enterprise), we have had similar examples to what you have described. As I mentioned earlier, there are commonplace practices and the exceptions. People may rise to or be hired into a senior management position based on having the "right resume" (i.e. the disruptor/high profile companies) and/or "connections" as you mentioned.

To your mention of being in the job, but now needing the "credentials" of the MBA/Certificates - could also likely indicate the individual is receiving executive coaching and being groomed for an officer or other senior level position. It could also be as you indicate that it's created a little drama and people are questioning whether the person has the "right" background. I have known quite a few senior leaders that have gone back to get their MBA/Certificates to update or shore up their business acumen as their original degrees weren't closely adjacent or have aged out due to career length (doesn't sound like the case here).

Personally, I don't think people should be shamed due to lack of academic credentials, but I understand where hard-working individuals may question the hiring / promotion criteria for senior positions as well - i.e. is it a level playing field to rise to a higher/senior level. It's always a delicate balance with politics, connections, and fairness.

There are a lot of trades that don't require a college degree. If you've ever met a master plumber I assure you they can support a family.

I have some direct reports that don't have college degrees and make good money however they all had to be internal promotions. Our company policy is anyone that manages direct reports (not just supervises but manages) has to have a bachelor's degree but I can promote internally without the degree provided they are actively pursuing a bachelor's.

No, I am a nurse and I actually have 2 four year degrees. I have a degree in Organizational Communication and PR and then 10 years later I went back for nursing.
My husband didn't go to college and makes significantly more money than I do! So unfair!
Not knowing where you live, your husband must make an amazing salary.
My mom retired in 1985 from a local hospital group as an RN. The nurses at her hospital went on strike, mostly because of staffing levels, but it was revealed that the starting salary for an RN was $120,000 before overtime and missed meal penalties. The new contract raised starting pay for an RN to $128,000. Nearly $100,000 more than my mom made in a year before overtime.

I knew what I wanted to do in 8th grade, and it requires a Doctorate degree, no other way to do it. But I love it, and wouldn't be happy doing anything else.

I am a retired teacher and had a BME and two Masters.

I actually got in trouble for telling my students that not everyone needs to go to college. There are trade schools, the military, and professions that you can enter and work your way up. Of course the principal was standing at the door when I said it and that did not go over well with him.
That’s just crazy! I wish my son would have followed his dad and chose a trade.

I do have my college education in criminal justice but the path I went back to and retired from, the state did not require a college degree. They did start requiring some college to promote to my position but, it hurt us more than just having experience. People with college degrees moved on quickly so it was a pain to train and then watch them leave 6 months later. There is zero way to prepare for my job without a lot of training as it is specialized learning. I agree with TVguy, my daughter does have a BA in business but, her job did not require it. She is in IT for the state, in a management position now (through on the job experience) and is making $$$$$$

My career of choice is hypnotherapist, which doesn't TECHNICALLY require ANY qualification as long as you're half way competent. However, it IS good practice to have at LEAST a recognised certification or PREFERABLY a diploma, again from a decent accrediting body. University degree is not required. I don't think there even IS a degree in hypnotherapy!

I work at a university and could not hold my position without an advanced degree. There are many pathways to find positions that provide good wages/benefits. Recently my state changed the rules so that a four year degree would not longer be required for thousands of state jobs. I also know of quite of few of ODS friends who are opting to go to trade school instead of a four year college when they graduate in May.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter