Do you have a "theme" to your pin collection?

mom2minniemouse

I believe in Tag Fairies and Diet Coke.
DD7 and I are new to pin trading. She has about 35 pins to my 5. LOL! However, there really isn't any rhyme or reason to our collections except for DD's love of the "baby" Mickey, Minnie, Chip, Dale, etc.

I was just wondering if you seasoned "pros" collect simply what you like or specific types (whether they be cast member pins, a particular character, or a particular series).

We're intrigued by some of the CM pins since they're harder to get, but we mostly traded for just those pins that caught our fancy at the time. (Silly me, though. I bought a slew of trader pins for DD and didn't break down until the night before we left and got some pins for myself. LOL! Now I have two years to wait to trade at WDW again!)

I really don't have a theme. I buy what I like and mostly LE (500 - 2000)!

I personally collect most of the lanyard series pins (Hidden Mickeys), but not all...and from there, I collect pins I like because other than Mr & Mrs. Potato Head, I can't see myself getting that into any one character. For example, I like all characters when dressed for Halloween, but especially anyone dressed as a witch.

Because of the thousands of pins out there, and new ones being introduced all the time, you should try to figure out some general themes you like. It makes it a little bit easier to resist others.... ;)

Seriously, resistance is futile....pins are addictive! But a lot of fun, and you can make great friends. :woohoo:

The pins I have the most of right now are Lilo & Stitch, Mickey Mouse & Walt and my CM ones. But also have a bunch of other ones that have no real theme to them, but they all have a special meaning to me and remind me of where I got them. When we go this trip I want to get a theme going of Cinderella and the Diseny Resorts( the ones that I have stayed at so far). I love Diseny pins, it's just a fun hobby that never ends!

I don't really collect anymore but the pins I do have consist of patriotic pins, Mickey, and anything that reminds me of a trip we've made.

DS is also 7 and started trading pins for the 1st time at DL back in June. On our trip to WDW last month he traded for almost 50 pins over the week. I'm trying to steer him toward focusing in on one or two themes. Looks like Americana and Figment will be the ones he's searching for in December.

DD(now 9) does most of the trading, though I do some trading and some buying and we don't separate the collection into mine and yours. We both have characters or themes that we like and may seek out more often than others, but the overriding theme behind our collection is "The Pins We Like and Can Afford" and that works well for us. :) I just know that if we specialized, we would not only then feel like we needed to chase down rarer (read: more expensive) pins in that theme, but we'd miss out on some striking pins. Nah, especially with kids, just let them trade for what they like - it's just pure fun that way......

My themes are (not in any particular order) Maleficent, Figment, Fantasia, penguins, Sword in the Stone.

We are newbies, and do not buy that many (set a $ limit). But, we have been buying what we like, same with trading. We also are running into some difficulty with the pins. They make a lot of them in "sets or series" such as princess, and keyhole, etc. We are beginning to feel the "need" to purchase the entire set, or the pin will not be valuable alone. Does anyone else feel this way? :confused3

I have a very original theme -- anything that strikes my fancy. :rotfl2:

I love pins and I try and buy the ones that catch my eye and I "have to have." That is my only theme.

I love Eeyore (surprise), Tinkerbell, Goofy, Mickey, Stitch, Figment, Sulley and so many others. I couldn't even imagine trying to theme them. Who would I leave out?

DD: Minnie, Princesses & Tink

DS: Goofy

Me: Dated LE's that highlight a day or event ie.. I have New Years Eve 1999 & 2005 and New Years Day 2000 & 2006 - Plus resorts and for upcoming trip I have decided I need some Eeyore

DH: He helps us all by finding cute ones for me & the kids to buy

I Started Collecting Lilo and Stitch when they were hard to find (Lilo still is)....DH Collects Jiminy and Steam Boat Willie. We also like the Disney Travel Company Pins and collect other things that catch our fancy! :thumbsup2

I have focused mostly on Mickey and goofy being drawn, sketched, animation (including the hench sketch pins and working on the 100 mickeys). I love to draw, and really respect the skill. Consequently I have a few framed sketches , autographed, with the pin of the drawing. I have also a few other themes/characters: eeyore, Si and Am, hitchiking ghosts, some nice service and trainer pins, sleeping beauty fairies, and "i just liked it". :woohoo: :artist:

I like Figment, the Song Pins (Found Johnny Appleseed last trip!), and ride pins. And everything else that touches my fancy!

I collect Tink, Figment and the 100 acre wood gang.

Mom collects christmas, sorceror mickey and resorts.

I enjoy paying pins too but don't really have a theme. I do like anything with tinker bell, princesses or villians. But if I see one that catches my eye I will buy it. We will be at Disney next week, looking forward to see what new ones have come out. princess: :yay:

Nope, no theme, just get the ones I like. Though lately I've been trying to get one for the year that I go.

My theme is mainly Pixar films. However this trip, coming up on Saturday I am mostly going to focus on Mickey and rides!

Christine

Disney World -- Contempary -- 1975 (I think, very young at the time)
Disney World -- Ft. Wilderness -- 1981 (again an estimate)
Disney World -- Off site -- Senior High Class trip -- 1986
Disney World -- Polynesian -- 1987 -- last trip w/parents
Disney Land -- 1997-2001 -- Many trips, my boss’s favorite place to take clients
Disney Land -- 2004 -- Offsite --Started my pin addiction!!!
Disney World -- 2005 -- Caribbean Beach Resort

My main theme use to be anything Disney that had a pointy back! :goodvibes :lmao:
Now I have narrowed it down to about 30. :confused3 :rotfl2:
I REALLY avoid certain themes, no matter HOW much I like them -- such as holidays. I have TOO many holiday pins. I think Christmas would have to last 5 months for me to wear my Christmas pins. And the rest of the year would be Halloween with no time for the other holidays! :rolleyes: :rotfl:
I like to stay away from characters too. (Except Jessica Rabbit.) I like transportation, rides/attractions, pins that don't look like Disney, advertising, cast, etc.
And some pins I just can't resist! :love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter