Do you have an electric can opener?

Do you have an electric can opener?

• Total voters

tvguy

Question anything the facts don't support.
That was the cool gadget to have growing up in the 1960's. I think our last one died about 25 years ago and since then we just use the manual can opener. Never had an electric can opener that was durable or easy to use.
Checking my pantry, about half the canned goods now have pull tab tops. But checking the use by dates on my Campbells soups, the NEWER ones need a can opener, the older ones have a pull tab. That could be a supply issue with the pandemic.

Not too much that I buy has pull-tops. I've always had an electric can opener and probably always will.

We have an electric one which I detest. My trusty manual opener broke several months ago. Or wore out. Since then I have been unable to find a decent manual version. I’ve tried three or four and none come close. I think the original I had was about 30 years old and probably cost $2.

Progress I guess.

Yes we have an electric can opener . I must admit I paid extra for green beans with the pull top to make green bean casserole this Christmas. I hate using it ! 🤣

Used to have one but when it finally bit the dust, I just started back using the manual one.

We have an electric one which I detest. My trusty manual opener broke several months ago. Or wore out. Since then I have been unable to find a decent manual version. I’ve tried three or four and none come close. I think the original I had was about 30 years old and probably cost $2.

Progress I guess.
We have one of these in the kitchen at my office and it's very sturdy, easy to position and mows through lids easily.

No. I use a manual one—it’s pretty good—think it’s made by OXO. I like most of their products.

We don’t use a lot of canned goods. We used to have an electric can opener but just don’t see a need for one anymore. It just took up
space on the counter and got sticky and grimy. It’s easy enough to use the manual kind.

Not anymore. The last one I had died about 10 years ago and I never replaced it. I don’t open enough cans to have another appliance cluttering up counter space practical.

As for pull tabs-hate them. Half the time I have problems removing them fully and have to use a spoon or other makeshift lever to finish the job.

We had an electric one growing up, but I never saw it as a necessity when I got out on my own. My first house had a kitchen that was 9'x9' with two doors and one doorway. I had very little cabinet/counter space it just wasn't worth having something I used so rarely. 30 years later I still have a manual one and find it works quite well. If I get a pop-top, that's fine, but I don't go looking for them. Seems like they are a tad more expensive if compared to the regular. Honestly, I don't use a lot of canned items unless I'm making chili!

We don’t use a lot of canned goods. We used to have an electric can opener but just don’t see a need for one anymore. It just took up
space on the counter and got sticky and grimy. It’s easy enough to use the manual kind.
My dad worked in a cannery so always have had canned goods on hand. More so since the pandemic started. Hard to find soup any other way.

We have one of these in the kitchen at my office and it's very sturdy, easy to position and mows through lids easily.
View attachment 642024
This is what I went back to - the exact one and I love it !! I had 2 electric break - or would not open big cans - but this died with zero effort which is what I need as I have a spinal injury and don’t have a lot of power in my arms and hands - this opener is awesome !!! I can cook by myself with it!! Love it I have two - Kohl’s

My grandma bought me an electric can opener when I was single. It finally died 2 years ago. I cried when I had to throw it out. We bought a new one, and my mother in law gifted me a battery operated.

Yep. We don’t have a manual one but we should get one for emergencies. We both have wrist, hand issues so the electric one is way easier for both of us to use.

We have both, you never know when the electric one dies! Ours is fussy certain cans are a no-go and the manual comes in handy

DH is addicted to electric can openers, LOL; he's not very mechanically inclined, and he can never seem to get the manual ones to work. If it dies he'll go out and get a replacement the same day. I, otoh, HATE electric can openers and refuse to use them, because the can tends to slip and make a mess because you are holding it up in the air to put it against the blade. (Apparently the height is designed for 2 quart cans of tomato juice?!) Every time DH sees me open a can manually, he likes to act like I'm a luddite, but I don't give a flying flip.

I have 3 very nice thick-handled manual openers, including a side-cutting version that I prefer for cans that don't have to be drained.

My parents owned one when I was growing up, it even had a knife sharpener in back. I have never had one myself though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter