Do you have to be a strong swimmer to do the dolphin swim?

AprilsZoo

Why worry?
We are hopefully going to get a chance to go to Discovery Cove during our upcoming trip, which is something I've wanted to do since they opened. But now that it's time to plan it, I'm getting nervous.

I'm not what anyone would call a strong swimmer. When I was young, my mom wouldn't let me go around water (pools, lakes, etc) without a life vest on, because I couldn't swim (because she couldn't swim to come in after me if I needed help).... Of course, since I wasn't allowed in the water without it, I couldn't learn to swim. Kinda a pickle, huh?

Anyway, when I was about 12, i would go to friends' homes who had pools and I taught myself to swim. I can dog-paddle and do a regular stroke, sorta. It feels like I'm doing the same thing I see other people do, at least in my mind, lol.(DH
says its pretty sad to look at, and that its a wonder i move forward at all, lol)

As a result i do not have a lot of confidence when in deep water. I'll swim through the deep end of a pool, but i usually just get to the edge to stop and then turn around and swim back. DH says I tread water just fine, but I never feel really good about it. Also, I never learned to swim underwater... I just can't seem to get down under the surface, like to get something off the bottom of the pool.

Anyway, do you have to be a super-strong swimmer to do the dolphin interaction? Does the dolphin take you out into the water? If so, do you have to do that part, or can you just do the stuff in the shallows?

I wish I could've convinced my mom to let me take swimming lessons when I was a kid .... I've called all over and no one does swimming lessons for adults... :sad2:

I don't think you have to be a great swimmer, but you do stand or tread in about 5 feet of water when you interact with the dolphin. To ride, you can either go out deeper, tread for about 5 minutes, to wait for your turn, and be ridden into the shallow end, or, you could start the ride in the shallow end. I don't remember alot of swimming, more treading and bobbing, as I am not the tallest mom.
It was the neatest things to feed the dolphin, kiss it, touch it, command it, and take a small ride hanging onto its fins. Our dolphin was Dash, and she was so friendly.

When we did this a few years ago, they had us all wait in the shallow area until it was our turn. I believe that for the most part, it was a heads up froggy kick kind of a swim out there for me because I just couldn't deal with putting my face down in saltwater without a mask/goggles on. If you wanted to go out as a couple or a family group, you were allowed to do so, but the water was deeper out there and you had to tread water. I let my partner go first and then I went. It was not a long wait out there at all. The way back, just hold on tight and let the dolphin do the work. Diego was our dolphin and it was really a neat experience.

They give you 2 options for the dolphin swim portion - one in deeper water, and one in shallower water. They will ask your group (before the swim portion) if anyone would like to do it in the shallow part of the lagoon. Per the website, you are allowed to wear a life jacket during the dolphin swim, too! :)

Sorry but I find Lynne's post a bit off with water depths.

You do 90% of your dolphin interaction in shallow water. I'm 5'3" and it came up to my midchest to shoulders(I've done DC twice, in two different pools) both times. The floor of the pool isn't smooth so there are points that are slightly higher or lower, depending on where you are standing. There is a drop off where you need to go for the dolphin to pull you back in. You will not be able to touch the bottom of the pool here. You can wear a life vest (I've seen lots of kids do this and some adults) but keep in mind the wet suit will provide a bit of bouyency. You are not allowed to go underwater in the dolphin pool so you don't need to worry about that. I am not a strong swimmer myself, I can get around in water but it's a goofy looking paddle crawl type of swim. They are usually pretty patient with people making their way out to where they need to be. Once you're out in the middle, you do need to be able to tred water, but I wouldn't say you need to do it for any more than 2 or 3 minutes. Usually long enough for your new dolphin buddy to make their way to you and for the trainer to instruct you where you need to grip (The dorsal and pectoral fins) You also have the option of a shallow water swim where you wouldn't need to worry about swimming at all. You can just kind of walk to where you need to be in the water.

From what you described as your swimming skill, I honestly think you'd be fine, but if it makes you feel safer, go for the shallow swim.

You've gotten your answer, but I figured I'd add in my experience for extra reassurance.

When we went, DD (then 7), was the youngest and shortest participant in our group of 9. She was just over 50" tall at the time and the water was up to her chest. So, fairly deep on her but not deep on the adults. For almost all of the interaction you are standing, so no concern there. I see other people were in deeper water, so I am thinking they adjust to the shortest participant.

For the swim, you are (as mentioned by PP's) given the choice to do the deep swim (actually a pull) or the shallow water one. We had 9 in our group - 5 kids, 2 moms and 2 dads. The dads were both nervous. So, the kids and moms went first and did the deep water dolphin pull. You do have to tread water and the time can vary depending on different factors. DD and I went out together and our dolphin decided to swim around and check out all the other groups for a while. When she eventually came back, DD had her turn and then I went after DD. So, I was treading water for about 10 minutes. Most people were only treading for about 2-5 minutes. If you are not comfortable with the possibility of the extended time, I would go with the shallow water pull or wear a life vest. (Nobody in our group had a vest, so I don't have experience with that.)

Both the dads opted for the shallow water experience. The experience is exactly the same only you are pulled across the lagoon in the shallow water instead of from the deep to the shallow. DH can swim. But, he was just too nervous to give the deep experience a try. At no time during the shallow water experience was he where he would not have been able to stand up. While I do think our instructor was a bit amused by the fact that the kids went right out and the dads were scared, she was great at making sure that everyone got a fabulous experience. I wouldn't hesitate to go with shallow water if you are unsure. :thumbsup2

I'm a good swimmer but when I go to DC I plan on wearing a life jacket. Why sit there and tread water for 5 minutes if you don't have to. My DH might wear one too.

Of course if you feel more comfortable wearing a vest, do so...but I'd suggest trying out the wetsuit in the pool first. You'd be surprised how much bouyancy they can provide. Between that and the salt water, its not all that difficult to tread water. Much easier than being in a normal pool. I really just stuck out my arms and "peddled" in the water with my legs.

:thumbsup2

Thanks for all the descriptions of the experience. It confirmed my idea of what it would be like.
I can't wait to get in the water with the dolphins. I feel much more confident now. I didn't even think about the little kids who do it. (Although I'm sure there are 4 yr. olds who swim better than I do)
Thanks LSB for reminding me of the added bouyancy of the wetsuit in salt water. I hadn't considered that. Thanks also to everyone who mentioned the life vests. Does anyone know if you have to use life vests provided by DC, or can I use my own "ski-belt" type of floatation device. (it is coast guard approved) I used this when I went snorkeling in Hawaii and it was great. :)
I'm really getting excited again. :yay:
Thanks again everyone.

:thumbsup2

Thanks for all the descriptions of the experience. It confirmed my idea of what it would be like.
I can't wait to get in the water with the dolphins. I feel much more confident now. I didn't even think about the little kids who do it. (Although I'm sure there are 4 yr. olds who swim better than I do)
Thanks LSB for reminding me of the added bouyancy of the wetsuit in salt water. I hadn't considered that. Thanks also to everyone who mentioned the life vests. Does anyone know if you have to use life vests provided by DC, or can I use my own "ski-belt" type of floatation device. (it is coast guard approved) I used this when I went snorkeling in Hawaii and it was great. :)
I'm really getting excited again. :yay:
Thanks again everyone.

I'm almost positive that you need to use their life vests. I did not see any life vest there other than those belonging to DC. They look like the ones that you see for the kids at the WDW pools/ water parks. They come in all sizes. DH had no problems finding one that fit him - he used it to snorkel because he needed his hands for his mask. Turns out that his goatee kept the mask from sealing so he had to keep emptying out water. :laughing: Both he and DD ended up getting vests mid-day and there was still plenty of supply left, so they must have a lot of vests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter