Do you have to buy the plan as part of a package?

ella6599

Mouseketeer
We'll be going in November, and staying at one of the resorts (probably the pop). Do we have to book room/tickets/dining plan all at one place, or can we purchase them separately wherever we find the best deals?

You have to add it as part of a package including at least one park ticket per person and hotel stay. Your dining plan is based on the # of nights you are in the hotel.
The only way to get a discount on this is to book through your local AAA agent. You can even ask them to quote you a package price then buy the AAA membership if the price meets your needs. Just know ahead of time what the full price of the package is (use the disney web site.) You will save a % off the room part of your package.

The other choice is to book with points rented from a dvc member, they can add the dining plan w/o tickets and that might save you some more.

OK- but do all the package components need to be purchased at the same place?

Right now, AAA will only save us about $10 less than what's on the website.

Suppose I found a good rate for the room only on Expedia, and a good rate for the tickets at ticketmania.com. Would I be able to call Disney, and add on the dining plan? Or, if I didn't book the room and tickets together, would I be out of luck?

ella6599 said:
OK- but do all the package components need to be purchased at the same place?

Right now, AAA will only save us about $10 less than what's on the website.

Suppose I found a good rate for the room only on Expedia, and a good rate for the tickets at ticketmania.com. Would I be able to call Disney, and add on the dining plan? Or, if I didn't book the room and tickets together, would I be out of luck?

You have to book it all together. You can not purchase it seperately.

You should look into renting a studio through a DVC member (Disney Vacation Club).

I can tell you how many points you would need if I know the dates you are going.

Points usually rent for $10 a point, and some rooms go for 8 points on up a night (more on weekend nights [fri and sat]).

Studio Rooms at a DVC resort have a coffee maker, microwave and refigerator, small table with chairs, and a small porch. Some have 2 queen beds, others have a queen bed and a sleeper sofa.

You can just add the dining plan on to that, and get your park passes at Ticketmania or whereever else you want.

Hope this helps. Check out the Rent Trade board for renters.

The 8 points per night studios are only available during a couple of months per year.

If you book through a AAA TA you can generally get a AAA discounted room rate and still get dining.

Your observation is correct, getting the dining plan may preclude getting some discounts on the room and tickets that you otherwise might be getting.

bicker said:
The 8 points per night studios are only available during a couple of months per year.

Well I was going by the fact that she said she was going in November, and OKW has 8 point nights for Nov 1-21, and Nov 25-30, points go to 11 a night for Nov 22-24. Friday and Saturday are 21 a night Nov 1-21, and Nov 25-30, points go to 24 a night for Nov 22-24.

So, if Ella was going Sunday, November 5- Friday November 10th, that would only be 40 points (or $400). Not bad, $80 a night, and then add the dining plan. Pop Century is $552 for the same time period.

6 Nights - lets go with Sunday, November 5-11th, total points 61 ($610), also not bad! $101.66 a night when you divide by 6. And that is all, no paying extra for taxes! Pop Century is $662.50 for the same time period.

Now, say she wanted an entire week, well, lets go with November 4-11th, total points 82 ($820), also not bad for a week! $117 a night when you divide by 7. And that is all, no paying extra for taxes! Pop Century is $772 for the same time period. Yes, weekends add more points. IMHO, 6 nights is the best deal!

ALSO, Very important, Pop Century is 2 double beds, OKW is 2 Queen Beds, and has more room for the porta crib. Holding 4 adults and one child under 3. Other resorts, you pay more for an extra adult in the same room over 2 adults.

But, for 1 week, I would rather stay at OKW than at Pop Century and pay the additional $48 difference for the whole week. Just my opinion.

Of course, if you want more room, and who doesn't? LOL

A one bedroom at OKW (the largest of all DVC's),

(Villas offer views of water, woodlands, or fairways. The one-bedroom, one-bath Villa has a fully-equipped kitchen, dining area, stacked washer and dryer, and private patio. The master bedroom suite includes a king-size bed and whirlpool tub. The living room has a queen-size sleeper sofa. )

here is how is would go down for the above dates:

OKW has 18 point nights for Nov 1-21, and Nov 25-30, points go to 20 a night for Nov 22-24. Friday and Saturday are 41 a night Nov 1-21, and Nov 25-30, points go to 48 a night for Nov 22-24.

So, if Ella was going Sunday, November 5- Friday November 10th, that would only be 90 points (or $900). Not bad, $180 a night, and then add the dining plan. Pop Century is $552 for the same time period x 2 rooms = $1,104.

6 Nights - lets go with Sunday, November 5-11th, total points 131 ($1,310), also not bad! $240.01 a night when you divide by 6. Pop Century is $662.50 x 2 = $1,325.00 for the same time period.

Now, say she wanted an entire week, well, lets go with November 4-11th, total points 172 ($1,720), also not bad for a week! $270 a night when you divide by 7. Pop Century is $772 x 2 = $1,544.00 for the same time period. Yes, weekends add more points. IMHO, 6 nights is the best deal!

On Disney' website, the same time period would cost $3,161.13, that's a difference of $1,441.13. The only difference is housekeeping. There would only be one housecleaning date, and one trash and towel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter