Do you have to take an upgrade if you don't want it?

kpgclark

<font color=339900>There's nothing hum drum about
I must have way too much time to think about things! If you are given an upgrade do you have to take it? Let's say you are in a cat. 10 secret porthole room and Disney wants to upgrade you to a cat 9. This isn't necessarily a good upgrade. If you don't want the upgrade do you have to take it?

No you don't have to take the upgrade.

We were once upgraded from a deck 6 cat. 11 to a deck 2 cat. 10. While the cat. 10 has the split bath, we didn't want to be down on deck 2, so we told the TA to leave us on deck 6 in the cat. 11.

I believe if you book a "Guaranteed" category room you may be obligated to accept what they assign. I think I may recall someone posting about this before...

If you are booked GTY, you need to keep a <I>close watch</I> on your reservation status. This is easy if you book directly with DCL because you can check your ressie details online at any time. Some TAs offer this; some don't. As soon as you are assigned a stateroom (which is <I>usually</I> within a couple of weeks of sailing), if you discover you are upgraded to something you do not want, call <I>immediately</I> to see if any alternative is available. Make sure <I>you</I> know the deckplans thoroughly and can advise the CM on what is acceptable to you. They MAY be able to switch you to a more desirable room, either in that same upgraded category or in your original category. If not, your only option would be to <I>pay</I> to upgrade to an even higher category (price based on upgrading from your <I>original</I> category booked). If you do not know your assigned room until you arrive at the port, it may be too late to do anything if the ship is full. Timing is <I>everything</I>.

If you originally booked a particular stateroom and have written confirmation, you <I>should</I> be able to decline an upgrade if you wish, but there could be exceptions if there was a mix-up or "computer error." ;)

You will find a variety of stories about how guests were or were not upgraded and how they handled it. Upgrades are unpredictable. The best thing is to <I>always</I> stay on top of the details of your reservation and to respond <I>quickly</I> if it is not to your liking.

When our TA called with the "good news" about the upgrade, we told him immediately that we did not want it and to reinstate our deck 6 cabin. We originally booked with a guaranteed cat. 11 on deck 6.

Fortunately they were able to give us cabin 6004.

Now that I think about this they wanted to give us cabin 1067. With a cabin that far down, guess they wanted us to help shovel coal into the boilers. LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter