Do you jiggle your leg?

I've done it my entire life. My mom used to threaten to tie my leg down to make me stop. lol. Of course, I have several other nervous tics. I continuously count on my fingers or spell things out on my fingers. I don't know why. I also have one phrase that goes through my mind many times a day. It has been happening since I was a child. I think something was wired incorrectly in my brain!

My dh and dd both do!! I have to stop them when they do, it makes me nauseous if it's shaking the bed or theater chair or dining booth LOL.

I don't jiggle my leg, no. I do have the habit of rubbling my thumb and forefinger on my right hand together almost all the time. It's called "stimming" apparently and is a symptom of being on the spectrum or anxiety. Anxiety in my case.

I don't jiggle my leg, no. I do have the habit of rubbling my thumb and forefinger on my right hand together almost all the time. It's called "stimming" apparently and is a symptom of being on the spectrum or anxiety. Anxiety in my case.

That is very interesting. I do that, but always figured it was because that was the soothing action with my blankie when I was young (liked to rub the edging or under the edging where it was softer between my fingers). I will still do it when I am stressed out (no blankie needed) as it does add a certain level of soothing. Oh and I can do it with either hand - I am not at all picky on which. And I do have anxiety tendencies...

It's called "stimming" apparently and is a symptom of being on the spectrum or anxiety. Anxiety in my case.
For those who don't know, it's the autism spectrum. I've had to explain this to a few people in the recent past. So I wanted to clear it up for others.

Although, I am not diagnosed to be on an autism spectrum, I firmly believe I am. I was diagnosed with ADHD back in the mid 80s, when not many people know exactly what that was or how to deal with it. For me, many of the quirks I have are tied to my ADHD. I've shook my leg while sitting for years, and I still do it today. It doesn't bother me and no one ever notices it. it just feels comfortable to do once in a while.

If my Mom is getting irked or irritated she starts bouncing her knee up and down. I've enjoyed having that barometer available. 😅

For those who don't know, it's the autism spectrum. I've had to explain this to a few people in the recent past. So I wanted to clear it up for others.

Although, I am not diagnosed to be on an autism spectrum, I firmly believe I am. I was diagnosed with ADHD back in the mid 80s, when not many people know exactly what that was or how to deal with it. For me, many of the quirks I have are tied to my ADHD. I've shook my leg while sitting for years, and I still do it today. It doesn't bother me and no one ever notices it. it just feels comfortable to do once in a while.

I have a son on the spectrum and I also teach kids with autism. Some type of "stimming" is common for people on the spectrum. They generally occur as a repetitive motion such as rocking, hand or arm flapping. It's referred to as "stimming" since it stimulates part of the central nervous system that is seeking input at the moment.

Interestingly enough, many neuro-typical people also have "stims." Some are more obvious than others. My sister has been shaking her right foot since before she was born. My mom had a sore spot in her ribs toward the end of her pregnancy. She noticed my sister shaking her foot as an infant. She's 58 and still does it! One of my co-workers twirls her hair around her finger when she's deep in thought. She says she doesn't realize when she's doing it, but it seems to help her concentrate. When I'm in a meeting, I have to roll something between my fingers. If there are no paperclips or other small objects around, I rip off a small piece of paper and use that. It's my way of fidgeting without being too obvious. My son used to flap his arms when he was little. He's now 25, and sometimes shakes his right hand while he's talking. If I ask him what he's doing, he says, "Oh, I'm just stimming." He totally recognizes it now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter