Do you know any former or current Olympic athletes?

A friend of my sister was on the softball team back when that was a sport. My uncle was an alternate for one of the field events (high jump maybe) back in the 60s

Debi Thomas, 1988 bronze metal winner in ice skating. I knew her as an orthopedic surgeon whose patients frequently came to my floor. She only stayed at my hospital for about a year. Very nice doctor.

Carl Lewis's mother, Evelyn, was my high school gym teacher! It was always exciting to watch Carl Lewis compete as his mom was always in the stands cheering him on!

Karen

Debi Thomas, 1988 bronze metal winner in ice skating. I knew her as an orthopedic surgeon whose patients frequently came to my floor. She only stayed at my hospital for about a year. Very nice doctor.

I remember watching her, she was awesome! I remember thinking at the time how great it was that she planned on becoming a doctor. It's nice to know her dream came true.

Tara Mounsey. She grew up here...she won gold in 98 and silver in 2002 on the women's ice hockey team. DH and I have known her mother for many years through work, and other connections through her extended family, as well as the "small world" of hockey in NH. I got to hold the Nagano medal once....it's beautiful!!

Our neighbor was on th '94 US bobsled team. Didn't know him back then, he's an orthopedic surgeon now.

Marty Nothstein (cycling silver medalist '96 and gold medalist '00) is local - I used to work for his mom in the early 90's. I met him a few times while working for her, does that count LOL?!??!

DS15 took figure skating lessons when he was little from an Olympic pairs team - can't remember their names without looking it up. She broke her foot during competition & finished the routine (not well I might add!) That's what I remember about them. I think his name was Evginy or something like that.

ETA: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA - 2002 Winter Games, Figure Skating, Pairs' Short Program - Natalia Ponomareva and Evgeny Sviridov of Uzbekistan placed 18th after this skate. It was especially meaningful because Natalia was competing with a fractured right foot.

I once ran into the entire U.S. Olympic Women's Gymnastic Team - the famous team with the limpy girl Bela whatsisname carried off, fairly soon after that games.

I was walking through midtown, late, and heard the weirdest squealy squeaky noises. So odd I stopped and looked for where it was coming from. I know it sounds strange but that's really what happened and I had no idea what the sounds were.

Round the corner and there they were, standing by a limo, all in evening gowns, debating where to go or whatever. They sounded inhuman (I assume singularly they just sound high-pitched or young or whatever, in a group it's a squeaky, unintelligible cacophony) and look utterly bizarre they're so freakishly short yet proportionate and all - might have looked more appropriate in leotards but in eveningwear it was just... freaky looking.

Hahaha! I wore the Miss America crown for an hour! I was working in a small post production studio and we were doing the opening and interstitials. We needed the crown to shoot an insert shot of the crown on a pillow (I know, REAL creative there...). It was during my lunch break and the producer let me wear it as long as I didn't leave the room. It doesn't stay on unless you have 15 bobby pins.

She did not wear the crown. ;)

I went to middle school with Maurice Greene, the ex-world's fastest man. We used to work together at the local greyhound track around 1995ish and had to run as part of our job. He told us he was training for the Olympics and no one believed him because he wasn't really a fast runner at work. He ran for real one day and it was crazy! Sure enough, in 2000 he won the gold medal in the 100 meter dash.

Olympic medalsits (skating pair) Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir trained in the area where we live. We met them once at the rink before the Olympics and saw them around town but dont know them.

Had a classmate who won a medal in kayak in the 60 's. We had PE together all through jr high. She was strong even then. I sprained my ankle in PE one day and she picked me up and carried me to the school nurse.

Bennie Brazell (2004 400m hurdles finalist) went to high school with me. We knew of each other but weren't close or anything. Also Raasin Macintosh will be competing for Liberia in the 400m hurdles in London. She also went to hs with me. We were in the same class and had homeroom together.

I attended college with Alexi Lalas (soccer) and spoke to him a few times in passing since I often saw him when I would head over to my friends' house. He was a definitely a free spirit with his wild ginger locks and crazy beard but he always seemed pleasant and personable.

My niece's trampoline coach, Steven Gluckstein, is currently representing Team USA in London. GO STEVEN!!!!!!!

Yes, I'm a school teacher, and I had a current Olympian in my English and geography 9th grade classes. He won the gold medal for skeet shooting in the 2008 Beijing games, and he is a big contender to repeat for the gold in London. His name is Vincent Hancock. He was a model student, very focused and motivated. We are all very proud of him!

He visited our school about a month after he won the gold in Beijing, and I have a photo of my daughter with him wearing the gold medal:)

Not the regular Olympics but the disabled Olympics which is held immediately following the games.

Our former daycare providor was on the women's wheel chair basketball team in Biejing and won gold.

The Sweeney girls live in my town and know my children...we have on occasion donated to thier efforts! The entire town is both suppostive and proud of them!

At the YMCA I attended, one of the fitness program coaches there was also one of the coaches of the 2010 Women's Silver-medal winning ice hockey team.

Foluke Akinradewo, Bradley Ally, Vladislav Polyakov, Sanya Richards-Ross, Seilala Sua. They all went to my high school and I had class with a couple of them.

Totally forgot, my volleyball coach is playing for GB in beach volleyball.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter