Do you know your child's school calendar for 2020 yet?

I'm in British Columbia (Canada) and our school district (Surrey) just released calendars in the past week or two for 2019/2020 AND 2020/2021. Makes it very handy for future planning! Our kids get two weeks off each year for spring break.

Our calendar doesn't come out until a few months before the year ends, either, but I went on the provincial website (we're in Canada) and there is a "strongly suggested" set of dates for the next several years listed. Since our school board generally uses that as their template, I'm going to book the spring break that site recommends. If I'm wrong, I'll lose out, but I bet I won't be wrong.

Another thing you could do is phone the school board. They probably can't tell you what the exact dates are, but someone should be able to tell you what they are considering as possible dates.

One idea you can try...while our school district doesn't publish the calendar until Oct-Dec each year, the school board usually has proposals out as early as summer but the don't always publish it. BUT they have their meeting minutes for the school board published each month on their website. It requires some sleuthing on our part to pour through meeting minutes but many years we are able to see the proposals before they are voted on using this method giving us a few months head start.

Our district is a creature of habit. If you have lived here for quite some time, which I have, you can easily guess what the school calendar will be at the beginning of each year based on the "rules" the district has been using for decades in some cases. The trouble is we live in a wintery weather area, so guessing the second half of the year is a lot more tricky since that's when you'll see holidays shortened to make up snow days or summer break pushed off by a few days to make up snow days. But, if you're like us, and you would rather plan your trip as close to the start of school as possible, then yes, we can plan for 2020 and know with very high certainty that the school will start one exactly the day we think it will. The district would have to make a very surprising change to affect us in regards to the first day because they've been starting school the same day since at least the time when my 78 year old mother-in-law went to school there. :)

One other thought, our teachers have, as part of their contract, days that they will always get off, no matter what. And since they have a three year contract right now, I know we're definitely going to be out of school on at least those days for the upcoming 3 years. :)

Nope. We typically get a draft calendar in February for the coming Aug-June. Then in July they'll make some changes for that upcoming school year. However, I now have children in two different school districts. I've avoided voting on the calendar options in hopes they both end up close to the same!

Our district is changing it up, usually has spring break the week before Easter, but pushing back school next year to start at Labor Day and shortening breaks. We have been taking cruises spring break, but now we only have a long weekend in 2020. We're thinking about Christmas now for 2019, but it's expensive.

Our calendar for 19/20 year is out already. But our spring break is always the last full week of March days.

I don’t know how unusual this is, but we don’t get a spring break. February, March, April, and May each have one 4-day weekend instead.

I'm in Illinois and don't know, either. I contacted the school secretary, and she said they'll work on the calendar this coming December. However, spring break is typically the last full week in March. I'm booking now and will cancel later if I have to. And fingers crossed that I don't!!!

One idea you can try...while our school district doesn't publish the calendar until Oct-Dec each year, the school board usually has proposals out as early as summer but the don't always publish it. BUT they have their meeting minutes for the school board published each month on their website. It requires some sleuthing on our part to pour through meeting minutes but many years we are able to see the proposals before they are voted on using this method giving us a few months head start.

I agree with this....back when my dd was in middle/high school, I would call the school board office and generally was able to find someone who knew the "tentative schedule" well in advance.

I called our school district office and was told it will probably be sometime in March or it could be early April. Well thanks, that's helpful!! lol!! I also called my dd's teacher from last year to see if she would have something in her contract, unfortunately she doesn't. Oh well, now that I've seen the prices for all the different cruises it looks like we will probably continue to cruise in Jan. She will just miss 4 days and I will cancel if needed. Luckily she rarely gets sick, so the only time she misses school is when we cruise. Now that I typed that she'll probably get sick a lot!

Just from reading a few posts on here it sounds like a few of you already know when your child's Spring break 2020 will be. Just wondering if any of you do in fact already know this. My dd's school doesn't release the school calendar for 2020 until sometime in March 2019. This is very frustrating. Next year will be dd's first year in middle school and it will be harder for her to miss any school for a cruise, so I would like to be able to book one during her Spring break. Another thing that is frustrating is that there is no pattern as to when the school district does Spring break. Sometimes it is the week either before or after Easter, sometimes it is 3 or 4 weeks before Easter!! Makes it impossible to guess when Spring break will be, grrrr!!
Just needed to vent! We are able to book tomorrow, but now I don't know if I should just pick something or wait until we have her calendar, I'm sure prices will increase between now and next March, Spring break prices are already so high! So what do you do if you don't have your kids school calendar? We can't go in the summer due to dh's job, Jan-April is the only time he can get time off of work.

Our school district published calendars for 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 two weeks ago. It doesn't always happen that way but I'm glad they did.

My school district does the same thing. I won’t know Spring Break 2020 until Feb/Mar 2019.

However, Spring Break is pretty much the same every year. It’s the summer that changes. They actually send out a survey to the parents asking them to vote on 4 different school calendars.

I had a WDW vacation planned for mid to late August but had to change it when they approved a school start date of Aug 15th instead of the usual last Monday of August. That was super annoying.

If it was me, and I had the money to cover the down payment, I would book 2-3 cruises and then cancel the ones that don’t work out.

Nope, and we do not even have to stress about it this time. After much sadness and deliberation we decided along with our son to switch to homeschooling from his private school. Everything came to a conclusion on Monday and gold booking opened on Tuesday, so what should we do with the saved tuition, but go on our second WBPC cruise. :) He is a sophomore and we snuck the last one in when he was in the eighth grade as we thought there was no way to be able to go any later. After we returned from our first WBPC cruise my husband and I tried to figure out when we would be able to do another. We figured it would at least 11 to 15 years because of the ages of our kids. So thankful for the opportunity that fell in our lap the day before booking opened.

We are in the northeast and won’t get our 2019-2020 school year calendar until the spring but our spring break is always the same week in April. We used to get Presidents Day week off in Feb as well but they recently cut that back and now we only get a 4 day weekend.

Yes. Ours is published 4 years at a time and they just published it in August for 2019-2023.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter