Do you let Disney take your luggage from the Airport to Resort?

Always let them take the luggage. Only this last time (landed at 8:15 p.m.) did we have any issue - all of our luggage showed up, in perfect condition, but that was at 3 a.m., after inquiring of the front desk 3 different times and not getting any answer other than (the system says it is on the way). Overall, will do it again, but probably avoid such a late arrival, and might bring enough to sleep in a small carry-on.

Friends of mine have had problems with the luggage service - twice their bags were lost going home when they checked them at the hotel before going to the airport. Both times they were found and delivered to their house the following day. After that I decided it wasn't worth the stress, and now I always bring my bags with me on the bus.

Always let them take the luggage. Only this last time (landed at 8:15 p.m.) did we have any issue - all of our luggage showed up, in perfect condition, but that was at 3 a.m., after inquiring of the front desk 3 different times and not getting any answer other than (the system says it is on the way). Overall, will do it again, but probably avoid such a late arrival, and might bring enough to sleep in a small carry-on.

You should NEVER fly without everything you need for 24 hours in a carry on. Airlines lose/misdirect bags, whether you use DME or not, its always a possibility.

Friends of mine have had problems with the luggage service - twice their bags were lost going home when they checked them at the hotel before going to the airport. Both times they were found and delivered to their house the following day. After that I decided it wasn't worth the stress, and now I always bring my bags with me on the bus.
For the record RAC is not ME luggage service. Two totally different services

We have used it every trip (even late arrivals) and never had an issue. One of the main reasons I use DME.

15 trips and no issues. Many of those trips with adult children comin and going on different flights at different times.

My goal is less then two hours from landing I have a Schoefferhoeffer draft in my hand. Luggage delivery helps make this possible.

Fwiw, when you land has no bearing on when you should get your bags. Disney aims for you to have your bags 3-4 hours after you check in. Which, now that people don't always have to go to the desk, can be estimated as 90 minutes or so after you plane lands. But that is a rough estimate, sometimes Magical Express takes longer, and if you do have to stop at the desk and check in, can put your bag delivery time back a bit.

So in the above your bags were only an hour late. But yes, what you need for the first night (or the first 24 hrs) should be in your carry on bag. Always.

We used to use their baggage service, but one time we didn't get our bags until 4 hrs after we got to the resort. Now we don't use the yellow tags and just pick up our suitcase once the plane lands at MCO. It's not a big deal for us and I like having all of my stuff with me once we get to our room.

We used to use their baggage service, but one time we didn't get our bags until 4 hrs after we got to the resort. Now we don't use the yellow tags and just pick up our suitcase once the plane lands at MCO. It's not a big deal for us and I like having all of my stuff with me once we get to our room.
3-4 hours after you arrive at your resort is when they are supposed to arrive

Plus then we need to pack bathing suits, shorts, sandals for everyone in our carry-ons....seems like a lot of extra hassle when we could take 10-15 minutes to grab them ourselves!
You should do that anyway. Not because of DME, but because of the airline. What will you do if the airline misdirects your checked bag? ALWAYS have enough to support you for the first 24 hours in your carry ons.

It depends on my plans for the day. Hitting a park til late --- MDE delivery. Chilling by the pool --- we grab the bags ourselves because when the room is ready I want to unpack and settle in!

I know they say 3-4 hours after landing but what happens if your room isn't ready? How soon after the room ready message until they deliver?

It depends on my plans for the day. Hitting a park til late --- MDE delivery. Chilling by the pool --- we grab the bags ourselves because when the room is ready I want to unpack and settle in!

I know they say 3-4 hours after landing but what happens if your room isn't ready? How soon after the room ready message until they deliver?
Pretty much as soon as they are informed you have a room. Remember, this is the 1 luggage service that is automatically brought to your room without you asking for it

That's the best part! Well, ME luggage delivery and resort transfers of luggage. My first trip using it I was a late add to a friend's reservation. She didn't have a luggage tag for me so she found an old ME luggage tag, wrote her new reservation number on it and (voila!) it ended up in our room. I was amazed! And totally sold on the whole experience. Now, if I were arriving late, I'd either pack one night/day worth of items in my carryon or collect my bags myself.

Baggage check-in/claim is my least favorite part of travel so this is a particularly magical aspect of Disney for me.

We land at 1:00am this trip. so we will take our own bags.

but any other time. as long as it is during normal DME hours, we let them do the work. We have even dine the deal where we took uber direct to the park, and caught up with our bags hours later.

You should do that anyway. Not because of DME, but because of the airline. What will you do if the airline misdirects your checked bag? ALWAYS have enough to support you for the first 24 hours in your carry ons.
I have all necessities with me (contacts, glasses, etc) but I don't bother bringing extra clothes along. I've had the airlines misdirect my bags plenty of times unfortunately and I know I can survive with what I bring along!

Never have and never will. It's not really an inconvenience to get my bags off of the carousel and bring them on the bus plus it's faster and I know that I have them.

I have all necessities with me (contacts, glasses, etc) but I don't bother bringing extra clothes along. I've had the airlines misdirect my bags plenty of times unfortunately and I know I can survive with what I bring along!
OK. :confused3

Then it's a personal judgement call. You can wait for your checked luggage or take everything you want in your carry on. Some people don't take into account airlines are also liable to lose luggage (more so than DME IMO). So I remind people about that.

I've been getting them myself after a few incidents.

The first one, I landed around 11:30am, luggage not delivered until around 7:00. It's possible the airline delayed it, I had used curbside check, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. That same day, my friend arrived around 5:00pm, hers did not show up when we returned from Epcot around 9:30pm. She called, they said it was delivered! Just then, we had a knock on the door. It was a guy staying across the hall. He had it, he noticed our room number written on the tag. So that was bell services fault.

On another trip, my friend had a split stay. Her luggage did not show up. She asked if it could have been delivered to her second hotel. They said they checked. They gave her a credit for clothes. 2 days later, guess where they found it? Second hotel.

On a trip last September, we picked up the luggage, we were staying at Poly. When we checked in at ME, they said going to Saratoga Springs? We said, no, Polynesian. So they were looking around and finally just changed it to Polynesian. First thing we thought is what if we used the yellow tags. Would they have gone to Saratoga?

I don't usually but I try not to check on the plane either. I've had such hassle with lost or delayed bags (all with the airlines).

I have used ME for bags once and it was before I knew about the delay - we flew in at 10pm and got bags at 2am. Nope! If I was checking I would use it IF my arrival plan didn't create an issue if my bags are a significant number of hours behind me.

The luggage thing is all we used DME for, we've rented a car to do a grocery stop in the past, we'll use Tiffany this Fall. We usually arrive at Board Walk around 10 AM and the last several trips our room was ready so we drop our carry on off in the room, leave the groceries with bell services and head over to Epcot. By the time we're through with the park our luggage is in the room.

Bill From PA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter