• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you like 1st floor rooms?

noname70

Mouseketeer
On our last stay at WL we has a sixth floor room with an excellent view of the water pageant. However, when I noticed how the people in the first floor rooms had such convenient access to the pool and lobby area I was jealous.
This will be our first DVC stay (BWV) and I was wondering what your opinions are of 1st vs. higher floor rooms.

I prefer not to have a first floor, and my wife hates them.
We had a first floor last year at VWL, and one morning a snake was looking in our porch door. I thought it was funny, as he was a cute little guy, but the wife wasn't laughing. -- Go figure? :confused3

I never understood when folks would walk out their porch door to the pool. Do they leave their room unlocked? I haven't seen it so much at VWL, but have seen it many times at The Poly. :confused:

MG

At OKW they are very convenient! No extra steps after a long day out. However, there are times when the people above can be very noisy... esp if under a GV.

We are almost always on the ground floor - and for the most part are very happy.

I used to love the higher floors but now I really appreciate the 1st floor too.

We have young kids so being on the 1st floor and avoiding the elevators with the stroller and other stuff we have is nice. Also, the kids can run around outside in the grass during the afternoon for a little while and we can sit on the chairs on the patio to keep and eye on them. (And trust me, they are quietly playing....Mommy has no tolerance for yelling when other people might be sleeping/resting in their rooms) Also, we LOVE animals (Maistre Gracey, the snake would have been a bonus for our family LOL) so the kids can give the ducks some snacks...usually Cheerios, since we always have them :rolleyes: and I love opening the curtain in the morning and seeing a bunny or two eating outside our room.

About the pool, we do go to the pool from our patio, but we've had rooms with the quiet pool view. Usually, 1 of us will stay in the room and relax or get things done while the other is taking the kids to the pool. It's easier to get them back into the room and they don't have to walk through the cold hallways while they are dripping wet. (They never seem to dry off enough :confused3 )

So maybe when the kids get older we'll start requesting a high floor with a great view but for now we really like the ground floor view :)

I always used to request ground floor and loved it. Once I got a 3rd floor room and now appreciate the views. To us the ground floor is a totally different feel to the vacation....yup, we too go to the pool from our patio :)

Try the ground floor, I think you will like it!

Angela

As we need an accessable room and they all appear to be on the ground (1st floor) at VB and SSR anyway we have no choice so fingers crossed our experiance is a good one.

I don't like first floor rooms, because I like sitting on a balcony. Sitting on a patio is just not the same.

We had a first floor room at BWV a couple weeks ago. I really liked it, even though it was standard view. We overlooked the front lawn area. The kids loved going out and running in the grass while mommy sat on the patio. They also walked down to the pond to see the ducks and fish :) After they went to sleep and we were sitting on the patio, I walked up to the sidewalk and down the stairs to the Boardwalk to get us some snacks at the General Store. Had we been on a balcony, I wouldn't have been able to do that, and probably wouldn't have risked waking the kids to go back through the room.

SueOKW said:
At OKW they are very convenient! No extra steps after a long day out. However, there are times when the people above can be very noisy... esp if under a GV.

We are almost always on the ground floor - and for the most part are very happy.
That's why we always request an upper floor room-the noise! As far as the extra steps, with all the yummy food we stuff ourselves with, we figure we can use the exercise! We'd probably look at it differently if we had a stroller and young kids to get up also.

kadaten said:
We had a first floor room at BWV a couple weeks ago. I really liked it, even though it was standard view. We overlooked the front lawn area. The kids loved going out and running in the grass while mommy sat on the patio. They also walked down to the pond to see the ducks and fish :) After they went to sleep and we were sitting on the patio, I walked up to the sidewalk and down the stairs to the Boardwalk to get us some snacks at the General Store. Had we been on a balcony, I wouldn't have been able to do that, and probably wouldn't have risked waking the kids to go back through the room.

OOHHH, that sounds great! We're back in a standard view room in Nov. Maybe we'll get lucky with one...

We love first floor rooms especially with 3 kids and all teh crap we seem to drag back and forth to the pool for them.

I don't like first floor rooms because of a lack of privacy. I don't want someone looking in at me.

If I had a car and was at OKW I might have a different opinion.

I have mixed feelings. I LOVE the convenience of 1st floor, especially when we have our large double stroller in tow. But when DS was 20 months old, we stayed in a 1st floor studio at SSR, and he just would not stay on the patio since there were no walls to fence him in. I wouldn't have minded him just running on the grass, but he had to (and did!) climb over and around the landscaping to get there.

We faced the walkway to DtD (great view!), so there was no privacy, but with 2 little ones, DH and I are used to no privacy anyway. DD and I walked to the pool from our patio (nice and convenient!), but DH and DS stayed behind to lock up after us.

ksoehrlein said:
I have mixed feelings. I LOVE the convenience of 1st floor, especially when we have our large double stroller in tow. But when DS was 20 months old, we stayed in a 1st floor studio at SSR, and he just would not stay on the patio since there were no walls to fence him in. I wouldn't have minded him just running on the grass, but he had to (and did!) climb over and around the landscaping to get there.

We faced the walkway to DtD (great view!), so there was no privacy, but with 2 little ones, DH and I are used to no privacy anyway. DD and I walked to the pool from our patio (nice and convenient!), but DH and DS stayed behind to lock up after us.

ksoehrlein apart from when in bed my DS is in a wheelchair 24/7 (has a broken neck) and all we can get is 1st floor due to us needing an accessble room . I can understand the lack of privacy thing but can you tell me when you were at SSR if you were on the patio will he be able to see anything when sitting in his wheelchair if there is vegitatation / shurbery . we did ask for an upper floor so he could see have a view (of anything) but this isn't going to happen so we will need to make the best of where we are located.

Ali and boyz said:
ksoehrlein apart from when in bed my DS is in a wheelchair 24/7 (has a broken neck) and all we can get is 1st floor due to us needing an accessble room . I can understand the lack of privacy thing but can you tell me when you were at SSR if you were on the patio will he be able to see anything when sitting in his wheelchair if there is vegitatation / shurbery . we did ask for an upper floor so he could see have a view (of anything) but this isn't going to happen so we will need to make the best of where we are located.
From what I can remember, the plants were very low to the ground, so your son should still have a nice view. I just remember my DS walking around and over (OK, let's be honest -- and through) them, so they were no higher than a 2-year-old's knees. This was in February, while the landscaping was still immature, though, so in future years, your DS's view may be a little more obstructed as the plants grow taller.

I'm not a gardener by any stretch of the imagination, so I don't know if the plant varieties around the patios are "tall-growers" or not. Can anyone else help Ali?

For us, it depends. At OKW we prefer first floor -- easier with wheelchair and it just seems more natural to be sitting on the porch at ground level. The resort is designed with more privacy for each unit. Really the best layout of any DVC resort.

At the other resorts we actually prefer the upper floors, less traffic and noise and better views.

I was going to say that we prefer ground floor to first but realised that you call ground floor first floors.

I would worry though if children were very young as you would need to keep a constant eye on them or shut the doors.

Susan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter