• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you like to do jigsaw puzzles?

I love them but only if they’re the Disney Thomas Kinkade ones. The 500-1000 pieces usually take me two days but the current one I have is 2000 and it’s been a slow process.

So what do you do when you finish them? Display (how?) or break it up and back in the box? The Mandalorian one I was talking about, I actually got Modge Podge and glued it together. Got a frame today, but need to get a matte to fit.

I like puzzles but find them harder to do these past few years. I am colourblind so the light has to be pretty specific for me to be able to pick out different shades of the same colour.

So what do you do when you finish them? Display (how?) or break it up and back in the box? The Mandalorian one I was talking about, I actually got Modge Podge and glued it together. Got a frame today, but need to get a matte to fit.

We have framed a few.. One of The Disney Villains from Ceaco is currently hanging on my office wall, and we have a Mel's Diner in the hallway.
The rest get broken up and put back in the box.

I just break them up, put the pieces in a ziploc bag, and put the bag back in the box. I label the box with my name and offer them to friends who enjoy doing puzzles as well. I have an entire closet full of puzzles. If we ever have a yard sale again, I'll definitely purge the closet -- there are plenty of puzzles I have no desire to do a second time. I think I have about 10 puzzles loaned out to friends right now.

I have 2 puzzles that I plan to frame (shown below -- not my pictures, though.). I didn't plan to frame any of them but after I put the villains puzzle together I knew it would need to be framed. So since I didn't have the supplies to do it and didn't have anywhere to store the assembled puzzle, I tried to keep it in large chunks when putting it back in the box. It shouldn't take very long to reassemble it. And my husband decided I should also frame the Mickey head puzzle at some point but he didn't mention that until I had taken it apart so that one will need to be completely reassembled -- but fortunately, that's a pretty easy one and also shouldn't take too long.

I love puzzles I’m working on the Carl and Ellie double sided Disney puzzle right now. If you have a 5 below store near you they have a great 1000 piece puzzles for $5. It needs to be a minimum of 1000 pieces for me, otherwise it’s not enough of a challenge.

Love them! I find them relaxing and a good way to get out of my head for a while. I do mostly 1000 pieces, but will do smaller if I love the design. I like the bigger ones, too, but those require more of an investment in terms of space and moving some things around to accommodate it, so I don't do them as often. I spent the summer restocking my puzzle closet after all the craziness of the spring, and I'm so glad I did because they're getting hard to find for reasonable prices again.

When I'm done, I take a pic for posterity, box them up and then take them to the thrift store for someone else to enjoy. There are only a small handful that I'll keep because I think I'll want to redo them.

I've never minded the "mess," but then again in this house, if it isn't a puzzle going somewhere it's a Lego set. Yes, our house is a toy store!

I've always loved puzzles since I was a young kid. My husband isn't a puzzle person, fine by me. Last year I actually bought a table (that the legs fold into themselves) that was large enough to fit some of the large puzzles and shaped puzzles. Before that I was using a wooden board with sides that my sister's godfather and godmother made for me because they know I love puzzles and they do as well.

I work on mine normally for an hour to two hours then stop, then pick back up some other time. A good movie or music going on in the background and a puzzle is a relaxing activity to me.

I don't glue the puzzles. As much as I love looking at a complete one, one of my favorite things to do is to redo them. I have kept all my puzzles so when I'm done I break it up and put it in the box for another time.

So what do you do when you finish them?

Carefully take them apart, putting the edge pieces in a plastic bag so I (or whoever does them next) can skip the sorting step in the future! :teeth: I have a few favorites that I keep to do over and over, but others, I trade/pass along to someone else or donate to the flea market at DH's lodge.

Carefully take them apart, putting the edge pieces in a plastic bag so I (or whoever does them next) can skip the sorting step in the future! :teeth: I have a few favorites that I keep to do over and over, but others, I trade/pass along to someone else or donate to the flea market at DH's lodge.

That's such a good idea to put the edge pieces in a ziplock on completion. I don't do puzzles, but I will pass that along to my husband. He did a huge Disney puzzle with Beauty and the Beast theme. It has lots of hidden disney things in it. I absolutely love it. He used hodgepodge and framed it. It hangs in our spare bedroom and looks great. I appreciate them, just don't like to actually do them:)

Covid has made me a puzzle person and also a puzzle snob.
I’m still a beginner so I only do 500 piece puzzles.
It’s all about the brand of puzzle. I’m a Springbok fan.
If you buy cheap puzzles many of the pieces are cut the same. The better brands will have all different pieces. Also with the better brands the pieces fit together better so you can work on a section and pick it up and it won’t fall apart.
Who knew there was so many differences in puzzles.
So if you think you want to be a puzzle person:
Buy one of the better brands. Once again Springbok 😊
Start with a smaller size puzzle 300-500 piece
Pick the puzzle. For beginners it’s good to pick one that has separate pictures.
Don’t pick one with lots of similar colors.
Find a friend to swap puzzles with

A puzzle like this is easy for beginners. It’s many small puzzles

30148468-EDB5-4ADA-AB46-26D1EC20F636.png

Next level easy to (but a little harder) colors that are easy to define
C1CCB795-1267-4CFB-B23E-15A77B8ABBE7.png
And then the impossible (at least for me😂😂)
I traded with my sister for this one. It was way to hard. I couldn’t follow a pattern and was looking for each piece.
BD293FFE-8E22-47ED-8255-9AF2834A7827.png

Last edited:
Covid has made me a puzzle person and also a puzzle snob.
I’m still a beginner so I only do 500 piece puzzles.
It’s all about the brand of puzzle. I’m a Springbok fan.
If you buy cheap puzzles many of the pieces are cut the same. The better brands will have all different pieces. Also with the better brands the pieces fit together better so you can work on a section and pick it up and it won’t fall apart.
Who knew there was so many differences in puzzles.
So if you think you want to be a puzzle person:
Buy one of the better brands. Once again Springbok 😊
Start with a smaller size puzzle 300-500 piece
Pick the puzzle. For beginners it’s good to pick one that has separate pictures.
Don’t pick one with lots of similar colors.
Find a friend to swap puzzles with

A puzzle like this is easy for beginners. It’s many small puzzles

View attachment 544992

Next level easy to (but a little harder) colors that are easy to define
View attachment 544993
If you have a Hallmark store near you they sell Springbok puzzles :)

I love puzzles I’m working on the Carl and Ellie double sided Disney puzzle right now. If you have a 5 below store near you they have a great 1000 piece puzzles for $5. It needs to be a minimum of 1000 pieces for me, otherwise it’s not enough of a challenge.

I have that Carl & Ellie double sided puzzle but I haven't attempted to assemble it yet. I clearly wasn't paying attention to the details when I ordered it last March because I was not in the frame of mind to tackle a double sided puzzle at that point in time. Maybe I'll try it after Christmas when things settle down in this house.

Do you get a lot of puzzles at 5 Below? I just finished a puzzle from there and I dubbed it the puzzle from He**. The quality was so bad that it was very difficult to tell if 2 pieces actually fit together and many times the pieces got torn or peeled if I tried to take apart 2 pieces that didn't fit together properly. There were only about 6 basic piece shapes and there was a LOT of pink on the puzzle so there was a lot of "guessing" which pieces actually fit together. I completed the puzzle but I'm not sure all the pieces were in the proper places. My daughter bought it for me at a 5 Below that was having a 1/2 price sale on everything because the store was moving. I wasn't sure if all the puzzles were like that or if we just got a bad one. I think I'm super spoiled by all the Charles Wysocki puzzles (Buffalo Brand) and the various Disney puzzles I've done. They're all really good quality puzzles.

Last edited:
I have that Carl & Ellie double sided puzzle but I haven't attempted to assemble it yet. I clearly wasn't paying attention to the details when I ordered it last March because I was not in the frame of mind to tackle a double sided puzzle at that point in time. Maybe I'll try it after Christmas when things settle down in this house.

Do you get a lot of puzzles at 5 Below? I just finished a puzzle from there and I dubbed it the puzzle from He**. The quality was so bad that it was very difficult to tell if 2 pieces actually fit together and many times the pieces got torn or peeled if I tried to take apart 2 pieces that didn't fit together properly. There were only about 6 basic piece shapes and there was a LOT of pink on the puzzle so there was a lot of "guessing" which pieces actually fit together. I completed the puzzle but I'm not sure all the pieces were in the proper places. My daughter bought it for me at a 5 Below that was having a 1/2 price sale on everything because the store was moving. I wasn't sure if all the puzzles were like that or if we just got a bad one. I think I'm super spoiled by all the Charles Wysocki puzzles (Buffalo Brand) and the various Disney puzzles I've done. They're all really good quality puzzles.
I have had various luck with the ones from 5 below it depends on the brand, but I put puzzles together quickly so I like the challenge when they don’t fit together as easily.
The double sided Carl and Ellie isn’t hard to tell which side is which because of the beveling edge. The pieces don’t lock together well which is annoying because the border keeps breaking apart when I lean on it to work in center.

Yes, through the winter I have a card table out for puzzles. There's only so much time I want to spend on computer/tv. I like 750-1000 but will do 500, especially Thomas Kinkade Disney. DD19 bought me a 1500 for my birthday and we started it this weekend. I'm really surprised how far we already got.

I've stuck a few together with Puzzle Presto peel & stick. It's like big sheets of adhesive sticker. But that's all the further they get and then laid under my dresser or something, usually never get framed and hung like I intend.

Yeah, I like them. I get mostly 500 piece puzzles at Dollar Tree and set them up on a long table in the basement so I'm out of the way. I try to find puzzles that are challenging because I'm pretty good at them. I love Wysocki puzzles for the paintings but they're just too easy for me so I avoid them. I find it very relaxing sorting through the pieces and putting like ones in groups before I start the puzzle. Once someone gifted me a puzzle that was two sided and had similar pictures on either side. *THAT* was frustrating and I gave up because I was getting stressed out. Who needs that?

After I finish a puzzle, I carefully break it up, put it back in the box and tape the box closed. Our local VFW takes them for distributing to nursing homes...or at least they used to. I have a stack all ready to go for when the virus all-clear finally comes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter