• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you like to stay with family when you travel out of town?

When we go visit my in-laws in Florida (from Philly) we stay with them. They are very laid back people, easy to get along with and I feel very comfortable there with no pressure. If I want to go sit outside and read a book for a couple hours I totally can do that without it being weird or awkward. We stay there usually for a week at a time when we go to visit. My parents are high demand/high pressure (they would be shocked to hear that) so we stay for maybe a night or two at most but they are only an hour and a half away so no need for long term stays and if we can make it a day visit we definitely do. They mean well and are good natured, it's just more of an effort there. We get along well with both sets of parents but my in-laws just happen to be way more flexible and easier to deal with.

We will stay with someone for one night if we are visiting and then we generally leave before breakfast. Basically a place to sleep if it's too long to drive there and back in the same day for a visit. But other than that we stay at a hotel. Generally speaking I think it's easier when adults have space from each other. But I am blessed that I lucked into the unicorns of in-laws and they are easy to get along with/be around even for a longer stay.

I mentioned my sister’s bathroom so I’ll respond. She has a 3 bedroom 1 bath home. The door doesn’t have a lock. So you can be in the shower or using the toilet and the kids will barge in. Also, because so many people are sharing the bathroom, you feel like you have to hurry while getting ready or schedule your bathroom time. I’m always asking the kids if they need to brush their teeth or use the bathroom in general in the evenings before I step in to get ready for bed. And because the counters are already cluttered with everyone’s stuff, I feel like I have to pack up all my stuff and keep it in the bedroom. It’s just not a comfortable experience.

So, her house is too small, that's all. That makes sense!

I mentioned my sister’s bathroom so I’ll respond. She has a 3 bedroom 1 bath home. The door doesn’t have a lock. So you can be in the shower or using the toilet and the kids will barge in. Also, because so many people are sharing the bathroom, you feel like you have to hurry while getting ready or schedule your bathroom time. I’m always asking the kids if they need to brush their teeth or use the bathroom in general in the evenings before I step in to get ready for bed. And because the counters are already cluttered with everyone’s stuff, I feel like I have to pack up all my stuff and keep it in the bedroom. It’s just not a comfortable experience.
Hey if Marcia, Greg, Jan, Peter, Bobby and Cindy could do it....lol

I hate it. The only place we stay is the ILs - they used to live in a smaller house and we'd stay in a hotel then, but they disliked it so much that they purchased a gigantic (5000+ square feet for two people) house so that "everyone could stay with them when they visited". They have 13 indoor cats, keep their house at 82 degrees year round, and don't like to turn on the lights so it seems so, so dark in there for me.

The last time we were there was the first time in three years, and I literally got 2 hours of sleep in the 3 days we visited. But we do it to keep the peace.

Depends. If it's a night or two and there's room, usually I don't mind it. If it's my BIL down south, then no - the problem with that is we're usually not completely unimpaired between tiredness and drink to drive to the hotel. Consequently, we haven't visited in 14 years. Family events have brought them up north so we're seen them and TG for Fb.

For many years we drove from Maryland to Florida. We would always make our day one (of two) stop in Jacksonville to visit my aunt. Always a happy visit for her and my family. She was the only family we ever overnighted at. She got older and we moved to Florida. She had to go in assisted living near my cousin in Tallahassee and just passed away last month at 98. She had a wonderful life.
We own an RV and travel/stay in it exclusively. It is our rolling condo. We don't fly or stay in hotels.

Last edited:
It depends on if the family member has the room for overnight guests. For example, we stay with our eldest daughter when we visit her, as she has a guest room with it's own bathroom...where as our son who lives in the same town has a small condo with 2 large dogs that take up all of the space. and only one bathroom. (love dogs, just don't need to share the pull out bed with them, LOL)

We built our last home with overnight guests in mind. 2 bedrooms are ensuite, have their own patios and share a common living area with a coffee bar, so that they can have a cup of coffee or whatever before they emerge for the day to the main kitchen/great room.

It depends on if the family member has the room for overnight guests. For example, we stay with our eldest daughter when we visit her, as she has a guest room with it's own bathroom...where as our son who lives in the same town has a small condo with 2 large dogs that take up all of the space. and only one bathroom. (love dogs, just don't need to share the pull out bed with them, LOL)

We built our last home with overnight guests in mind. 2 bedrooms are ensuite, have their own patios and share a common living area with a coffee bar, so that they can have a cup of coffee or whatever before they emerge for the day to the main kitchen/great room.
That sounds wonderful for guests.

I prefer to stay in a separate hotel. My family likes to have their own space to retire to, and I wouldn't want to feel like I'm intruding.

I’m really weird when it comes to sleeping at other peoples homes - I don’t like it. I also don’t want to share a hotel room with anyone outside of my DH or DD - weird, I know.

I said so much about staying somewhere else I forgot to say about our house. We specifically rented a house (we don't own) with a first floor bedroom and walk in shower so my parents could come visit and be comfortable and safe. It was very important to us. We love having guests and each of the 3 bedrooms have their own bathroom to make visiting easy. But I would never be offended if someone chose to stay at a hotel instead. People like their space. Not a problem. Friends and family are always welcome here or anyone passing through. We always have clean sheets in the guest rooms and are happy to host,

When my brother and sister in law come we give them the primary bedroom so they can setup the pack and play for our niece and they have the attached bathroom. No bother. We love having them here. Life is so interesting. I'm so flexible about some things and completely inflexible about other stuff that might not bother someone else. Guests don't bother me either way. Different strokes for different folks!

Not unless I have to. My youngest daughter lives in a town with no hotels so she was able to find us a private rental (converted garage) where we could stay as they had no room. From now on, we will visit with our small camper. But, do not assign me a "shift" at your house to deal with your domestic needs.

Not unless I have to. My youngest daughter lives in a town with no hotels so she was able to find us a private rental (converted garage) where we could stay as they had no room. From now on, we will visit with our small camper. But, do not assign me a "shift" at your house to deal with your domestic needs.
I don't even know what that means? "assign you a shift?"

I don't even know what that means? "assign you a shift?"
Her husband decided his wife ( my daughter)needed a break from her child rearing tasks and on vacation I needed to take over the baby and tne household chores because I am her Mom. Ummmm we were there for a couple of days and had others to visit. Yes baby boy was 8 days old and cuter tan anything but I did not show up for a "shift" with a newborm.

My answer these days is pretty much hotel 100% of the time regardless of the reason for the visit (visiting family or just in the area kind of thing). I used to be a bit more like "okay I'm fine here even with the inconveniences" but I think the last year or two just changed that. I'm sure I'll be with my husband's family a time or two in the future but I'd rather just get a hotel. His grandmother's is the only place that a hotel tends to not make as much sense logistically because we're there to visit her and a hotel may or may not be the closest to her but I actually would really prefer to be in a hotel anyways.

If it's just due to a power outage that will be a day or two I wouldn't have an issue staying with family locally, with a cat a hotel does become harder to find, but for visiting, or events (like a wedding) I'm pretty much now in the camp of please just let me stay in a hotel in a space that can be fully private and able to just do our own thing.

Her husband decided his wife ( my daughter)needed a break from her child rearing tasks and on vacation I needed to take over the baby and tne household chores because I am her Mom. Ummmm we were there for a couple of days and had others to visit. Yes baby boy was 8 days old and cuter tan anything but I did not show up for a "shift" with a newborm.
Ooof I agree that's in poor taste. I do wonder though for many new parents (most especially with a few day old baby) when family or friends visit that soon I can see where they may think you are visiting and willing and able to pitch in. I'm not saying people just offload the baby to someone else or start directing someone to do the dishes or do a load of laundry but that they may be extremely overwhelmed, parents (who are the baby's grandparents) do often visit and sorta just help. You should not have been made to feel like you're there though to just take care of the baby but I can see where there might have been a thought that you would help out. That might have been a good boundary to have laid out before the visit since the baby was so new and at least you would have known maybe to push off the visit for a while if they would have really appreciated some help while you're there and that's not what you were willing/wanting to do while visiting with them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter