Do you like yard sales?

browneyes

DIS Veteran
My mom and my sil go crazy over yard sales. I can't seem to find it in me to pull over on the side of the road and walk all over somebody's yard to look at stuff. I never find anything anyway. My mom and my sil find some great stuff.

They also like auctions. I don't know if y'alls auction houses are like the ones in GA and AL that I've been to, but if they are you'll understand why I don't like them. Too nasty lookin' on the inside.:eek:

I know some people find some pretty good bargains, but I have enough of my own junk without brinding home someone else's!

That's how I feel, Kathy. Everytime I go to a yardsale I find all kinds of broken or chipped things. Can't find anything that matches all my broken or chipped things.:rolleyes: My mom and sil find all kind of great stuff for like a dime, 50 cents, etc. I don't have their luck.

I used to, but after we cleaned out my in-laws' house after they passed away, I vowed that I would bring the least amount of stuff into my house possible.

Yuk! I cant bring myself to take someone elses junk. Not only is it used(and in my mind, dirty), but I have enough junk of my own.
Recently a friend was telling me about the great deal she got on a couch and a desk at a yard sale. I was cringing.

I do not go to them. I hate it when the neighbors have them also. People park in front of our driveway and block the mail truck from the mail box all the time. Thinks goodness they only do once a year.:mad:

I don't go to them, but I love to have them. Every time I have one I seem to make a decent amount of money. I am so surprised each time just how many people come to these things and surprised over some of the things that they buy. I guess the old saying is true....one man's junk is another man's treasure.

:bounce::wave::bounce:

Oh I love going through old things! flea-markets, thrift stores, yard sales....I think I take after my gramma. She had whole storage rooms full of dolls from places like that. She was going to clean them up to resell to people who didn't have a lot of money, but it was a project she never completed.

I love them. I go often with my SIL and sister.
I don't buy something too often, but when I do it's something that I can't let sit there.

I guess I like looking through other people's stuff. I'm nosey:D

I've never been to a yardsale. After giving one this year and making so much money, I thought it would be kind of cool to go to one to see what kind of stuff I could find, but I never did.

My husband laughed when I said that and predicted I would never go. Guess he was right.

I go once in awhile but not often. Mom used to bring home WAY too much JUNK just because it was a BARGAIN.. She had enough tupperware to start a factory outlet store:(

So I usually only go for certain items.Our DD was doing one a couple of weeks ago and my MIL gave her some stuff to sell .........in it was this way cool 50's ash tray from Fla. with flamingos and stuff. Fits in with our sun porch decor .

Steve

When my mil and sil were visiting in May they wanted to stop at a yard sale in our neighborhood, so we did. I found a Tigger child's waistpack, autographed by Mickey, in perfect condition for just $1. I had to buy it, it was so cute. Don't have any kids around here to use it so I keep him on top of the hutch of my computer desk. He's so cute. I couldn't believe that someone was selling it :confused:

I try to make myself like them, but I'm too impatient. I'm the fastest shopper I know. I can have a list of 20 different things that I need, all at different types of stores, and be back in the house less than 2 hours after I leave the house. You can't do that when you go to garage sales.

I wouldn't mind buying used clothes for my baby, but I won't find out the sex until garage sale season is about over. I'll probably go to consignment stores. They're more expensive, but they're climate controlled.

I take DS to yard sales almost every weekend. We usually buy books. Lately he's been looking for Pokemon cards. You just never know what's out there!

Jill

I haven't stopped at one in at least a year.

I did find a WDW candy dish that I bought for 25 cents. When I went to the MGM exhibit that chronicles the life of Walt Disney, wouldn't you know it, that same candy dish is in one of the display cases!:p :p :p

I absolutely LOVE them!! As far as I'm concerned, sixty seconds after you've bought something NEW it's "used" anyhow, so why waste all that money??

I've purchased some of the neatest things in garage sales - everything from craft supplies to baby furniture to toys to books to stuff to sell on eBay..

I also buy clothes for my granddaughter at garage sales to wear when she's at the lake.. Never have to tell her to "be careful" and at 25 cents a peice, I can throw the clothes OUT after she's worn them once.. Mud pies anyone???? Fingerpaints?? :)

My DH does, he is going to some now, while I am on the Boards!;) :p HEY! It gets him outta the house!:rolleyes:

I've been to the rural type auctions when I was younger... they were dirty, animals in cages, sick looking animals, farm equipment sold by lots, and lots of old men smoking...

(Does that sound accurate?)

As for garage sales, it all depends... I haven't been in a long time, so I really don't know what is out there. . I am out of the market for baby/maternity things (hot items!).

Thrift stores I don't mind though. I only buy certain brands, certain sizes, and only if it is priced right, not priced higher because of the brand..

Consignment shops don't bother me either.

Originally posted by Cindy B
I've been to the rural type auctions when I was younger... they were dirty, animals in cages, sick looking animals, farm equipment sold by lots, and lots of old men smoking...
Don't forget the bathrooms that need to be sand blasted.:eek: Other than that, you got it pegged (oh, and it's old, young men/women that smoke like a furnace-I'm lucky I have lungs left after being dragged through auctions when I was younger).

I don't like Thrift Stores at all. They smell like moth balls.

I don't go to them, but we have a big blaock sale every year. Ours is coming up on August 24th so anyone in the WNY area that wants to come and look through my junk..come on over. I need to raise enough money for DIS CON!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter