Do you like your neighbors?

Our old house was on a cul-de-sac and we had the BEST neighbors. We sat outside every evening before and after dinner and watched the kids play. Our current neighborhood was an upgrade but full of unfriendly snobs. We talk to the neighbor across the street and that's it.

We are new to the area so don’t really know anyone yet. It’s new construction, so we are all settling in. They are still building here and each day or so, someone else moves in. So far, everyone seems nice from a quick hello, how are you, where are you from type of meeting.

Visiting our friends (they just moved into their new home) and they said the neighbors behind them were rude and never say hello or anything. I am blessed to have really great neighbors on both sides (no one lives behind us - golf course) We often have nice chats over the fence and have been invited to their homes for drinks. Other friends of ours had such awful neighbors that they had to move. (a multi-generational family around 11 people and 7 cars) What's your neighbor situation?

Overall, we have pretty great neighbors.

Single Dad on 1 side of us is quiet, mostly keeps to himself, has an older son in college who stores his dirt bike at his dad's house...he revs the engine occasionally on a Sunday afternoon and that's annoying once in awhile, but overall it isn't bad enough to complain about. A year ago, Single Dad has almost a forest of weeds in his front yard. Stayed like that for 2 months until the HOA sent him a violation notice. Now he doesn't have weeds.

1 set of across-the-street neighbors are lovely people, an older couple. No kids, both of them work. I talk mostly with the wife. She sometimes brings over egg rolls (she's Asian). We swap plant stories (we're both plant people). They have 2 guava trees in their backyard that I'm envious of. :-)

Other set of across-the-street neighbors are very nice & very normal. They're retired. The wife sometimes bakes cookies for my kids. When I was recuperating from cancer surgery 2 years ago, they brought us dinner a couple of times.

Nosy Neighbor on the other side of us is pretty irritating, but also very nice and overall really harmless. Here's some fun highlights from the last couple of years since we moved in:
  • has a 2 story house, has commented several times to me about how she loves looking out her 2nd story windows into my backyard, then asks prying questions like "Why do you have your blinds closed all the time? I can't see in." OMG, WHO SAYS THAT OUT LOUD?!
  • had 6 months of constant construction work last year in her backyard. 6 months of almost daily loud noise, jack hammering at 6:00 am, the whole 9 yards. She must have spent well over $100,000 on her backyard. It's like she constructed Caesar's Palace and/or the Taj Mahal back there. The construction noise was annoying.
  • We have a fountain in our backyard. She put one in, too, in her backyard. When the Taj Mahal construction was done, she had us over to show off the finished work and said, "Look, I have a fountain, too! Now our fountains can compete with each other!" I said, "Oh! I didn't know it was a competition! Haha!" Cue awkward laughter.
  • Kept asking me our first summer in this house weird questions like "How come I never see your kids play out front?" and "How come I never see your husband?" She finally stopped asking when I said, "I promise they really do exist and I don't have anybody locked in the dungeon or in the basement."
  • Another time, she wanted to go on a walk with me one evening. Great, come along! No problem. Then she proceeded to ask me, "How can your husband ALLOW you to go out walking by yourself in the evening?" Good grief, what? She then talked about how I needed a man for protection because somebody might abduct or rape me walking in, literally, one of the safest zip codes in the whole state. She stopped yammering about it when I suggested she go get some pepper spray if she's that worried about it and if that isn't enough, take a defensive hand gun class and carry a weapon on you in addition to the pepper spray and cell phone. Then she asked me if I lock my side gate at night and was shocked when I said, "Of course" because it didn't dawn on her to ever do that.
  • Nosy Neighbor recently chatted w/me at the mailbox and blurted out, "Did you call the HOA on me over my pergola?" Um, what? During the Taj Mahal construction last year, she had a huge 13' tall bright white pergola installed on the side of her house...the side that faces our house. So when you look out our dining room window, you see it. Thankfully, I have some lovely bamboo that is growing at a rapid pace to block all of that out. Well, guess what? She didn't get HOA approval and you're supposed to. HOA basically gave her a slap on the wrist and said, "Don't do it again." I told her, "No, I didn't report you. I assumed that you got all of those approvals ahead of time." She was shocked that I knew beforehand that pergolas/gazebos require HOA approval before you install them.
  • That being said, she's a really nice person. But kind of ignorant, naive, and hasn't experienced much outside the small community she lived most of her life in before moving here. She had no idea that not everyone celebrates Christmas, didn't know what Hinduism is (neighbors on the other side are Hindu). She brought us dinner a couple of times when I was recuperating from surgery, so I can just grow plants and trees to hide ourselves from her prying eyes out the 2nd story. haha!

We all keep our places up and keep to ourselves. No one is a nuisance and none near us have annoying pets, kids, or parties

It's all good! We've lived here almost 20 years. New neighbors in 3 houses across the street. We know none of them, but do wave and bring each others garbage cans up on garbage day.

We all keep our places up and keep to ourselves. No one is a nuisance and none near us have annoying pets, kids, or parties

It's all good! We've lived here almost 20 years. New neighbors in 3 houses across the street. We know none of them, but do wave and bring each others garbage cans up on garbage day.
As far as neighbours go, IMO this is perfection! :cloud9:

The neighbor daughter across the street from us almost made me wreck one time in my car another time on my lawnmower. She was in her driveway in a bikini suntanning both times when she almost made me wreck. There’s a tree by my driveway that I almost hit turning in. Also on the lawnmower I almost hit a tree. Their front yard has lots of sun and their back yard has lots of trees. So she suntans on the front yard. She is about 21 years old with a great body. She is a safety hazard suntanning out there like that. She is a really nice young lady. All of my neighbors are nice.

The neighbor daughter across the street from us almost made me wreck one time in my car another time on my lawnmower. She was in her driveway in a bikini suntanning both times when she almost made me wreck. There’s a tree by my driveway that I almost hit turning in. Also on the lawnmower I almost hit a tree. Their front yard has lots of sun and their back yard has lots of trees. So she suntans on the front yard. She is about 21 years old with a great body. She is a safety hazard suntanning out there like that. She is a really nice young lady. All of my neighbors are nice.

And of course she sunbathes out front because she intentionally wants you to wreck your car/lawnmower/tree.

On one side we have great neighbors and the other a neighbor we hardly ever see and if we do it's just "Hi". Behind us is a golf course. Now 20 years ago in another state we had one neighbor that was a challenge. They only mowed the lawn twice a year, yup, twice. One son was a goth who wore a black studded dog collar, dressed all in black with a long black trench coat. He got expelled from high school for downloading how to make a bomb on the school library computer. The other younger son would run about the area swearing at the top of his lungs, he was home schooled. The wife never said a word or made eye contact with us. Oh, and the father stated he was trying to start a church. They moved after about 4 years and a deputy sheriff and his family moved in, nice people.

My neighbor
This lady takes box knife to work. Threatens coworker. Put on leave.
Someone forgot she was on leave. 12 years later.. she was paid for 12 years. Received cost living and performance raises.
Gets fired. Tried to collect unemployment.
As city tries to collect files bankruptcy..
not a big fan..

I’m on a hi and bye relationship with my neighbors. Sometimes a wave too. We’re fairly new and moved in two years ago. 90% of the people on my block are older. We are one of the youngest families if not the youngest family.

I think my direct neighbor dislikes us. I think it started during covid which was less than a year after we moved in. We started having get togethers with family and friends once restrictions started lifting Memorial Day weekend of 2020. The first time we had one he gave us a lot of eye rolls when he would arrive home or leave. The next time he directly looked me in the eye and slammed his door as he got home. :rotfl:Ok mr passive aggressive. We had a bbq a few weeks ago and my friends said they saw him peeking out of his window and over our fence watching us. If he’s outside he will say hi to me but he won’t speak to my SO even when my SO says hi. He is probably younger than us. Single guy but from records I’ve seen the home belongs to his parents and he lives there.

Last edited:
For the most part, we're say hi, wave, and chat a bit with the neighbors. Occasionally, I'll have a beer or two with one of the guys on either side in my or their backyards. We take each others trash cans back at times, help shovel snow, stuff like that. Maybe borrow a lawn mower or a yard tool.

We had a Mrs. Kravitz who was always getting into others' business. She moved into a retirement facility about 10 years ago.

The neighbor on one side who moved away about 6 years ago was often "too friendly." He'd invite himself over when I was working in the yard or just sitting there. DW suggested wearing headphones, but he'd probably just tap me on the shoulder and say "Wutcha listenin' to?" I joked that I was going to install a 10 foot high cinder block wall topped with electrified razor ribbon.

But he was very nice too. About once a month for 20ish years he'd bring us of load of Italian bread "from the old neighborhood" in South Philly. And he helped me out with several yard projects.

About walls. There is this large vacant boardwalk/beachfront lot in Ocean City, NJ. It's been vacant forever. I don't know if it's privately or city-owned. Anyway, I told DW we should buy it. Not to build any houses or condos there. But to put up a 30 foot high "spite wall" and block the ocean view of the neighbors next to it. Pay whatever bribes that are necessary. 😈:teeth:

My neighbors are nice for the most part. I don't see many of them until it gets cooler.

Meh. It's nothing personal but I really dislike noise. One of our next door neighbors is really into using his leaf blower for long periods, fairly regularly. He must enjoy it, he goes on for so long, and usually on Saturday late mornings, just when I'm trying to rest in after a long hard week of work. How anyone can stand that much leaf blowing is beyond me. It's really loud and just goes on and on. He's nice to talk to but GMAB. And he has noisy friends who are frequent guests, particularly one who rides a motorcycle with a hole cut out of the muffler. So while I don't personally dislike the guy, I don't like living next door to him, either.

On one side we’ve had these neighbors 25 years. We’re pretty close with them and have always gotten along fine. The other side has only lived there a few short years. They are a young family. They are very nice. People in the back of my yard I don’t deal with. I wouldn’t know them if I saw them. My neighbor caught one of them throwing rocks at a mother deer in my yard that was trying to get to her fawn who she hid in a bush next to my deck. My neighbor was so upset with him and I was too. So I would say I definitely wouldn’t be friends with someone like that. This was 2 summers ago.

Also had good and bad neighbors but the bad ones were so awful we've had to move.

First bad one, we trusted them to visit our cat to feed it for a couple of nights - he robbed us of valuables and used our bed for.. you know what... when confronted he denied and proceeded to become our enemy. Move #1

Second, a junkie, smell of pot 24/7 near the house.. talked to him about it, became mad and confrontative ever since, doing multiple things that forced us to move again... Move #2

We were so traumatized by these two experiences that when we picked our current place, before we moved we hired a private investigator to check the type of neighbors.. happy so far.

If you live in a place with good neighbors all around your house, you've basically hit the jackpot, I envy you and I hope you appreciate how blessed you are.

I'd much rather live in a shack with good neighbors than in a mansion with bad ones.

There are 27 homes in my tract.
I don't know all my neighbors but I like the ones I do know.
I sometimes feel bad because I can be fussy regarding parking. I get peeved when cars in a
non legal spot that encroaches my driveway.
Then I feel sorry for being fussy.

Most of them I don’t pay much attention to. We had the best neighbors on the one side who moved away. A strange bunch moved in. They are harmless but if they catch you out, you can’t get away. They don’t have friends so they must be lonely but they aren’t my type.
The neighbor on the other side is an a$$. I can’t stand him. Plane and simple.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter