Do you look both ways even though you have a green light?

nile455

<font color=green>Have you met the Monsters of the
It feels like I'm seeing more and more cars running red lights than ever before. So many distractions now with phones, and drivers seem to be getting worse and worse. I also think Drivers Ed has declined over the years.

This is happening a lot now, esp in intersections near my neighborhood in Orlando.

Last edited:
I know it sounds silly to look both ways when you have a green light, but it feels like I'm seeing more and more cars running red lights than ever before. So many distractions now with phones, and I also think Drivers Ed has gotten worse over the years.

This is happening a lot now, esp in intersections near my neighborhood in Orlando.
If I'm sitting at a red light and it turns green, yes, I'll take a quick look to make sure there's no one running the red.

If I'm approaching a light and it's green, nope, I'm pretty much just going right through.

Absolutely. I've seen too many drivers blow right through red lights. And someone who didn't even slow down at a stop sign.

Probably didn't used to but with the Wild West driving these days, I sure do. I'm now worried I'm going to be one of those people who, when they have a full-on green light at an intersectiong, ends up braking and trying to read the cross-traffic before I enter the intersection. NOT a good thing to do but, dang, there's some crazy driving going on where I live. And getting T-boned is generally a death sentence it seems.

I look both ways. I had the right of way along with the rest of two lanes of highway traffic when some knucklehead in his truck, who should have been stopped at a red, kept on moving and T-boned my car.

(This was the car that was previous to my current car, Charlotte P. Drummond, you see. )

Absolutely, when driving, walking and biking. When walking and biking, I won't go until I have made eye contact with the drivers on the first position at the lights.

My son recently got his driver's permit. We are in CA and the written test that has to be passed is INSANELY hard. Most of what is drilled into drivers in the handbook is how much you CANNOT depend on people to follow the rules of the road, how you cannot make assumptions about what other vehicles or pedestrians are going to do, and how your main job is to avoid a collision in all situations. It explicitly states to pause when your light turns green and scan the intersection for drivers who are approaching too fast and who may run the red light. Also, always be on the lookout for pedestrians who cross against the signal. It's a pervasive problem both ways (cars running reds AND pedestrians going when they shouldn't).

Yes, always. I never assume that anyone will obey a traffic signal or even do what they are signalling they will do. They may not - always be vigilant.

Definitely, if I am waiting at the light for it to turn green. Most of the time if I'm approaching it already green. The running red lights more often is something I have also noticed people doing in the last several months or more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter