Do you negotiate price on a resale

LIDisneyFan

<font color=red>Older, yet for some reason not muc
Obviously, buying from Disney means paying the $72/point. When you buy a resale, is it expected that you pay the asking price, or do you negotiate?

I purchased a resale last December and at that time, even, there was very little negotiation with them. In fact, most resales seem to be selling almost as quickly as they are listed. There is much to consider however. The points that are banked or available in current use year can greatly increase the value of the resale. I watched the resales for quite awhile and bid on one which was not accepted. I then found exactly what I wanted, and paid the asking price which was very fair. Hope this helps...:D

We just bought a BW resale, actually we havn't even closed yet. We offered $1 less a point than what they were asking. So I would try at first. Good Luck!!

We did some negoitiating, although not much! Just remember the price of Disney versus what your getting in your resale. If there are banked points don't really count on negoitating, if there are borrowed points then go for it!

Good Luck!

We negotiated (through the realtor) for a slightly lower price when we purchased our resale in December 1999. I guess it depends on the seller as to whether or not they will negotiate. We found out (after the fact) that the seller in our case was a bankrupcy court and they probably would have accepted ANYTHING in order to liquidate the DVC asset. Our resale in 1999 actually cost us less per point than our original purchase in 1995 (through Disney) even with closing costs figured in.

I guess the bottom line is that if you don't try to negotiate a lower price, you'll never know if you could have gotten the lower price.

When we bought our resale in April 00, we offered $3 less per point than what the sellers were asking. We also requested that they pay the 2 title transfer fees ($75 each for 2 contracts) and they did that! To think what we paid a little over a year ago we got a deal. I could not imagine paying $65 a point now. If you do negotiate the worst that can happen is they refuse. In that case I would counter-offer. Good luck!

Negotiate on a resale. I bought 210 OKW points from Disney, and now I am adding on 150 OKW for $58 per point. The seller was asking $62 per point. Sounds like a great deal. I was able to purchase for a lower amount because it is a resale and all points are tapped out for the next year. Since the seller used the points, they paid the maintenance fees for the next year on top of the low price. Roughly, I figure each point is equal to about $10 so if you can buy a resale with 150 currently available points, then $68 per point is not such a bad deal (adding $1500 to my price of 150 at $58 per point). I could not have negotiated lower since Disney would probably kick back the contract as too low and they would exercise their right of purchase. The banked and available points really add a lot of value to a resale. Just make sure you can use them before they expire. As it turned out, I do not need points until 2002 so the low price and no maintenance fees until then suited my requirements.

I negotiated. I got the seller to come off the asking price per point and to pay closing. It is all according to what you want and what they have to offer. Like others have said, price per point, points available, banked or borrowed points, maintenance fees paid or not, does the number of points match what you are looking for, etc all affect the deal.

When I bought, the market was about middle ground between favoring seller or buyer. When it is a sellers market, putting a lower offer out might mean you miss that contract if someone else offers full price or just a better offer. It is always a chance you take.

I would just say offer what you think is a fair deal for you. Worst they can say is no.

We bought 150 OKW pts. for $57.00 a pt. The offering price was 59.00. They accepted our offer. This was last November.

We bought 230 pts for OKW in February of this year. Asking price was $62pt. We paid $55.50 and we also covered closing costs. So yes, you can negotiate and I cannot imagine buying a resale without doing so.

HTH

I cannot believe how much things have changed in the one short year since I purchased my 300 point OKW resale. I bought 300 OKW points in June 2000. The asking price was $60 per point for a Sept. use year. All 300 of 2000's points were still available and all 300 points from 1999 had been banked. I offered $50 per point expecting to make a counter offer when my offer was rejected. To my pleasant surprise the seller accepted my offer. I paid the $475 in closing costs. It seemed only fair considering what a great deal it was. Boy, have things changed!

Don't be afraid to negotiate! The market conditions currently are not that conducive to lower prices--it is a sellers market. There are several factors you should consider. First, the amount of points that are currently available. If no points are available you should not pay the mantance fees for that use year since the current owners used all the points. Second, the asking price is critical. When you factor in the closing cost plus mantainance fees it may turn out you are paying more than you can purchase via Disney direct. Third, you should place your name on a list with a resale broker and they can advise you when a property becomes available. It is my understanding many properties don't even make the resale market because the market is so hot. I am not sure how important your home base is. Many seem to think that it pays to buy where you plan to stay most of the time. Although I would agree with that position it does not make sense to over pay for the convenience. BWV owners can book at OKW and vice versa. I think only time will tell if this is a factor in the future. It could be with BCV available in the near future it may lessen the demand for the BWV. Good luck, I am sure you will find something!! Enjoy! ;)

As sparkysfriends mentioned things have changed in just one short year. We bought 210 pts to add on to our 280 pts and paid $ 50 a point. We split the closing with the sellers and from offer to closing took less than 4 wks. We had a great broker how stayed on top of the paperwork and pushed the sellers along. With Disney raising their pricing this has had an effect on the resale market with increase in those prices.

If you are interested in hearing more email me.

Good luck

Ed
DVC 1994

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter