• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you read/watch foreign news?

Freyja

<font color=red>Formerly known as Sleepless in Den
Just curious. Do you ever check out foreign news websites, newspapers, news (tv) stations, etc. in order to see/hear what´s going on in other parts of the world?
I´m not referring to when you check out a certain story that´s connected to your hometown/community/country, but rather just whather you´re interested to find out what´s happening elsewhere, even though it may be "none of your business"?

I do, all the time. But then again, I´m a bit of a news freak. I have various foreign tv stations, check out news sites on the Internet from at least 5 countries daily (Iceland, Denmark, Germany, UK and USA) and like to get my hands on foreign newspapers.

Well, I'm not sure if it counts, but I like the news from England. BBC-America has a very wide view of the world. It kind of gives me a third opinion, if you know what I mean.

Well, I'm not sure if it counts, but I like the news from England. BBC-America has a very wide view of the world. It kind of gives me a third opinion, if you know what I mean.

Definately counts :)

I read The Econimist the The Week magazines, but don't watch TV news. Economist has a lot of international news, Week covers some foreign news as well.

I read the BBC website daily. They have the best coverage of South Asia and I'm always interested in how the USA is portrayed.

Its funny, but I get the feeling that all the American newscasts are very one-sided-even if I agree with their opinions. BBC-America gives me the impression of being neutral. Maybe its their lovely accents, but is feels like they are reporting facts-not emotional reactions. Make sense?

On my Kindle I read the Shanghai Daily (a daily Chinese newspaper for Americans/English who live in China).

I also Kindle the International Herald Tribune (an excellent newspaper).

On Sundays, I like to purchase (again, on Kindle) The Independent, a United Kingdom newspaper.

We watch the news on BBC America, as well. :thumbsup2 Their coverage seems to be a lot more in-depth than the American news shows.

I agree with previous posters on three dependable sources - BBC (or BBC America), The Economist, and The International Herald Tribune. I travel a lot abroad, and I've really come to depend on these for good, solid (and fairly comprehensive) reporting.

I hate to sound cliched, but BBC seems to be much better than CNN when it comes to getting the story. CNN seems to be putting on more and more "fluff", such as (non-)stories about celebrities. And Time as well as Newsweek seem to have become more Time-lite and Newsweek-lite over the past ten years or so.

As for the International Herald Tribune - what other newspaper can you obtain just about anywhere in the world, often on the day of publication, and that would give you not only international coverage, but also the relevant sports results (including, of course, U.S. football, basketball and baseball) as well as a decent variety of comics - and the NYT crossword?

Having said that, yes, even when I'm at home I log on to a few other international sites - British and French, primarily - just to see what kind of spin they give to what's going on in the world.

I am able to watch Fox, CNN, Many Italian channels, BBC, Al Jezeera, and I think German. I am especially interested in comparing the same story on each channel to see the view of the countries. When the Pope died, I flipped through several channels. Italy was focusing on the religious side of things and good ole America was more concerned with which political people were attending the services. I also like the local Italian channels for the daily news. They open the newspaper and page by page, they read each article and comment on it. The camera is usually focused on the newspaper and you can actually read along if you like.

Yes, I occasionally read the Washington Post ;)
Actually, no, American news is really all I read or watch. Seems like I barely have time to see/read any news anyway.
If a story is originating out of a foreign country and I'm really, really interested in the details then I will seek out a news source in that country to get a clearer view of the situation.

my DH reads the Israeli news online everyday.

twice a day.

without missing a day - ever.

for years.....

If im around at lunchtime one day i turn on Fox news as their presenters are quite funny sometimes, especially the morning show.

Sometimes I'll turn on news from England. I also turn on news from Spanish-speaking countries, but that's less to hear what is going on there and more to practice listening to Spanish.

I can't watch or read anyone else's news because I don't know the languages.

Yes, I scan a variety of international news sources on a regular basis. I particularly like the BBC.

Yes, I watch Japanese news most mornings.

I like the BBC news. They seem very fair and informative plus it's good to know what's going on in the rest of the world.

I read Le Figaro and Le Parisien as well as listen to French radio daily. Although, I did spend 4 years in Europe, so at this point, it is more of a habit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter