Do you regret your career choice? What would you have done otherwise?

I wish that my family had supported my choice as a career instead of a job. I coach gymnastics, I have been doing it for 31 years now. When I was younger I was always told that it was a job until I found my career, tried real estate and a few other things, but I love coaching. It is a low paying job unless you own the gym.

My son wants to also be a coach. When he finishes college I will help him to start his own gym. DH and I are the only family members that support him. We are enough to counter balance the grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc... that are trying to convince to find something else.

I don't have a career. i never went to college. Didn't have confidence. Became a SHM and never had a career. Now my last kid is just about out of the house. Now what? I'm stuck.
Never had a career to regret.

My career choice wasn't a choice; I stumbled into a job when I was 19 and just continued along an upward path of various positions in the same industry (residential construction) for a dozen years. I stopped working when DS was little and really never planned to return but after 8 years at home, urgent circumstances required an income. I couldn't very well "start over" at that point, since it was all about the money, so I jumped into the same type of role again because of the earning potential. It's now 10 years later and both my age and the position I've achieved (business unit manager) dictate that I just carry on, although being head of the "complaint department" is an impossible job to love.

I don't waste a lot of time regretting anything; it's certainly not productive. But if I'd given any forethought and purpose to planning a career, I doubt I'd ever have ended up here. In the interim I did actually have the opportunity to pursue a career I thought I was interested in (funeral service), and found that it wasn't as great a fit as I'd always imagined. That experience did a good deal to bring me perspective. Turns out I'd rather not work at all, at anything - if I didn't need the money. ;) But since I do, the thing I find most satisfying is doing a job that maximizes my income.

Last edited:
I don't have a career. i never went to college. Didn't have confidence. Became a SHM and never had a career. Now my last kid is just about out of the house. Now what? I'm stuck.

You're never stuck. If you would like to fill some time and feel/be needed versus wanting financial gain...please consider volunteering...choose an area or something that you enjoy ....are you a lover of the written word/ voracious reader. Perhaps volunteer at a local library or for their numerous book sakes and/or clear outs. There are many volunteer opportunities out there
And you are Filled with experience, life experience...time management skills, budget skills..the list is endless.
Have that confidence now...perhaps a short volunteer stint will re-energize you ..and networking may just lead to something else.
SAHM are awesome...and Blessed in many ways!!

For me....no regrets...after university I started at the bottom (like most) and that industry helped me to forge to the top..when "we" decided that Finally we were Blessed with starting a family ....it Came True....so I was a SAHM....then inched my way back in the industry ...part time, then took the leap...self employment...which was great but more difficult than I ever imagined.
Ultimately retiring ...early YIPPEE....and now.....I feel like I'm
Living The Dream! Very Blessed Indeed! No regrets here!

Looking from 1979 to today at my career, i have no regrets with the WORK.
But your priorities change over 38 years. The work takes a backseat to the BENEFITS, retirement benefits in particular.
Many of my friends had jobs that provided a nice (up to 90% of their last years salary) pension and full health benefits after 30 years work, as long as they were age 50. And their retirement checks are often bigger than my paychecks, and they haven't even started getting Social Security or Medicare yet. It is entirely likely that these people will make more from their employer in their retirement years than they did in their working years.
I have told my kids they have a choice, do the work you want to do, or put up with work you like less, but will provide vastly better benefits.

I'm retired now, but when I was working, I never doubted my career choice. I'm a problem solver, so the field of administration was perfect for me. I excelled in office administration in high school and my first job was as secretary to Chairman of the Board of a large Washington, DC travel agency. Most of my friends who didn't go to college went to work for the government at $3200 a year without shorthand ad $3600 a year with shorthand (no, those figures aren't typos! This was in 1965 - I'm old!). My first job paid $4912 per year, with free travel benefits.

I left the travel agency when I married and after DD#1 was born 18 months later, DH's Army assignment sent us to Panama. With no car and a new baby, I was a SAHM. I didn't like it very much, so when we returned to the States, I got a job in the Admissions Office of the local community college. My secretarial and administrative skills helped me get promoted to Secretary to the Director of Admissions and Records, and then to Secretary to the Dean of the English Department.

Four years and one baby later, I found myself in Florida with two little girls while DH completed an assignment in Can Tho, Viet Nam. Again, I was unhappy as a SAHM, so my mother, who lived close by, took care of the girls while I worked in the English Department at the University of Central Florida. When DH came home, we went back to Maryland and I went back to PGCC. A little over two years later, DH got an assignment to Madrid, Spain, and I went to work at the Embassy. After that, I was hooked!

We spent the better part of the next 24 years serving at Embassies and Consulates all over the world (after Spain, we served in Peru, Turkey, England, Indonesia, Cote d'Ivoire. the Philippines, and Germany. The skills and training I had enabled me to build on what I learned in school and served me well as I established a highly respected career as an Executive Assistant in the Foreign Service, Department of State. I worked for some pretty high level State Department officers and some of my work ended up on the desk of the Secretary of State.

Most of my managers recognized my excellent training and gave me assignments with more and more responsibility. I did a lot of original writing, ranging from defending requests for housing variance waivers to the memo of which I'm most proud. When the U.S. re-established relations with Cambodia, I worked in the East Asia office. The managers had selected the officers to staff the Embassy, had found and renovated a building to be the new Embassy, and had shipped all the office furniture and communications and security equipment to the new Embassy. What they hadn't done was send a memo to the SecState asking permission to officially open relations with Cambodia! My manager, the Administrative Officer, was given that assignment, which he promptly turned over to me. He have me the points that needed to be addressed and the routing list of the State Dept. officers who had to sign off on this memo. I worked on it for two days and turned it over to him with the disclaimer that I had never done a memo of this magnitude, that it was well above my pay grade, that I had no false pride of authorship, and that my feelings wouldn't be hurt by any changes. To my utter astonishment, my original memo went through 17 coordinators with only two minor changes: someone changed "an" to "the" and I mentioned "the destruction of the Soviet Union" and someone changed "destruction" to "disestablishment." SecState signed off, we were officially in Cambodia!

My experience in writing and editing all kinds of documents, reports, briefings, and white papers led to my second career as a book and short story editor. I don't have enough work to support myself, but I don't need to support myself. DH and I both have government annuities and Social Security, so I edit because I enjoy the work, I'm good at it, and it keeps me off the streets, stealing hubcaps. I've edited six short stories and a mystery novel, which has been published, so my name is in the Library of Congress!

Queen Collee
Wow, this is really interesting! Thank you for such detained post. Most of them are so vague...

No regrets. I went through ROTC and became a commissioned officer in the US Air Force. I served for 20 years, then retired. Then I did the same type of work for my home state and now am back doing it for the Air Force as a civilian employee. Of course there have been days/weeks/months when my job wasn't ideal, but overall? I loved it then and love it now. It's challenging. It's rewarding. And I'm proud to say I've served my country.

You raised kids & managed a household-you have a ton of skills. Make a list of all of the skills you acquired being a SAHM & see if you can match it up with a job & start there Being a SAHM gives you more experience than you realize :)

No regrets. I went through ROTC and became a commissioned officer in the US Air Force. I served for 20 years, then retired. Then I did the same type of work for my home state and now am back doing it for the Air Force as a civilian employee. Of course there have been days/weeks/months when my job wasn't ideal, but overall? I loved it then and love it now. It's challenging. It's rewarding. And I'm proud to say I've served my country.

Thank you for your service :)

Started out in retail management...which I hated. Ended up in Insurance (claims). But I was meant to play centerfield for the Cincinnati Reds...either that or be a train engineer. Not sure why either didn't happen, but at age 50, I'm afraid my window of opportunity has passed.

So my last back-up plan was to be a monorail pilot in my golden years...but now they seem to be transitioning to an automated system. So it's pretty clear to me that the universe hates me.

I have pondered this myself, I seem to suffer from "the grass is always greener". I was a teacher for 20 years plus. I loved it for a while, and grew to hate it with a burning passion. I got out of it into an entirely different line of work. After a while on the other side of the fence, I kind of realize that teaching is not really such a bad thing, and maybe I am better suited for that. It is not that I hate what I do now, I just feel like I "have more potential". Yes, I realize not long ago I was whining that I thought a place wouldn't hire me because it was kind of "under employment", and I ended up getting the job... and yea I am already restless and wanting more money.

Do I regret leaving education? No, I know what people told me, but I truly had to see for myself. If I have to work (which apparently I do lol) I believe I am best suited for teaching or something in education. I would really like to get back in, I believe I have a renewed sense of purpose and drive.

I am an accountant and I don't regret my career. I think it's a good fit for me. When I started college all I knew was that I wanted a degree in something business related. I loved my Introduction to Accounting class so that's when I decided to get my degree in accounting. I took a few classes towards an MBA but I never finished (mainly because DH & I moved and my credits didn't transfer). I am not a CPA either.

I've been at my current job for 20+ years. I still really enjoy the work I do at my company, and I make a very good salary, but I don't like how the culture of the company has changed since our current CEO took over. I thought of looking for a new job but I think I'll stick it out. Over the past 20+ years there have been lots of changes....I'll just buckle down and get through this one too.

Ever since I was a child, what I really wanted to be was a SAHM. I taught in my 20's, stayed home with kids in my 30's, worked part time in my 40's, and am working full time in my 50's. Teaching has been a good career for me overall and certainly has provided flexibility and the means to do what I really wanted, but being home with kids is what I really enjoyed and fortunately DH was happy with that as well. Now that college is paid for our kids, I'm tossing around the idea of getting a job as a nanny.

I think it would be good to go into a career that doesn't depend on a good economy. I'm only making about 2/3 of what I did 10 years ago because the economy is so bad. It's the same job and had pay raises all them years but way less overtime. But I don't regret it. Was making double mortgage payments a month when the economy was good and was able to pay my house off before the economy got bad. Would love to make 6 figures again.

I retired several years ago after 40 + years as an RN. I didn't like the many weekends and holidays that I had to work but I loved the variety of specialties and shifts that I could choose. I worked in hospitals for the first 20 years, then moved to home care. When my DS was born I switched to part time, but I was still able to make decent money.

I have no idea what I would have done if not an RN.

I regret waiting so long to start one. I'm just now, at 30 finishing up my prereqs for nursing school. I'll be 33 when I actually START my career.

HOWEVER, I absolutely do not regret being able to be a stay at home mom for my children during their early childhood and elementary years.

I work in banking and while it can be lucrative with nice benefits, it's a volatile industry - constantly fire drills with always changing regs, and staffing levels are at the mercy of interest rates. Everything always seems to be in flux as far as process changes, organizational changes. It's never just boring status quo. I find that to be a negative, I'd rather have confidence in my job stability.

I've always had an interest in real estate but have no interest in sales. I did consider law school for a while, so that may be a path I would take if I could do it over again.

Sounds exactly like my job! I am in the banking industry too, and I echo your thoughts exactly!

Mammas, don't let your babies grow up to be librarians. They'll be living in your basement forever.

I took a break while the kiddos were in the baby-preschool years which was extended by a few years while I was a caregiver to my MIL. By the time I was ready to go back the only thing my degree qualified me for involved my asking, "Would you like fries with that?"

I'm also an accountant. I think it's a good fit for me. I'm not as far along as I should be if I hadn't been a SAHM off and on throughout the years. Some of my peers are a decade younger than me. My boss is younger than me. And I'm ok with all of that.

From time to time, I wonder if I wouldn't have been better suited for the medical field, but I'm sure there are plenty of things I wouldn't like about that either, and if I was a Doctor, I'd wonder why I didn't just become an accountant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter