Do you "rent" points to family and if so, for how much $?

As others have said, if we go with them, we do not charge (it would be nice if they treat us to dinner).

If they are going by themselves, we ask them to pay our annual dues (if I were to do it this year, I would average that at $7 like Sandi). I do not ask them to cover annualized costs, only dues.

We don't charge.

I currently have a res for 2 BR in WDW for a week in October - DD& family joining us. If someone gets sick and can't go, well have an extra room. Too bad. I also have 3BR res at HHI next summer. Planning for DD family and DS/DDIL. They are hoping to get pregnant so depending on timing might have to back out. That's on us.

Twice before we've had friends and further out relatives join us in 2 BR. Both times they offered to pay but we said just take us out to dinner. Don't want to start it and don't want to deal with taxes.

Last edited:

I don't charge to family and since we only have 300 points I have never offered to non family as I visit twice a year for a week and tend to use them up.

I've offered free nights to my extended family although no one has take me up on it and that's about 10 kids of different ages now all over 18.

I did give a free night to my housekeeper's family from overseas two years ago who never visited the US before and got them a room at Bay Lake Tower since they were only going to Magic Kingdom.

Last edited:
We more often than not have taken extended family, grown kids, and close friends. We have never charged them. But currently only 2 of our 4 grown children show an interest in coming to Disney and we’re always along on the trip. If that changes I could see the dilemma as I probably couldn’t have afforded all 4 of them wanting a trip. At least with charging something they have some ‘skin in the game’ to make sure they really value it. It’s great to be able to hear how others deal with this issue if it becomes one for us.

I charge $10pp. Maintenance at $8.50, so it’s not really a profit just easier to calculate.

They don’t value the dvc otherwise, and will cancel last minute.

I had a family member who tried to book a room and it was going to cost them like $6k for the week. I offered to book it for them with my points. Think about how relieved they felt when the cost of the trip was reduced by 75%. I don't think they were insulted that I saved them money.

we've only used our points with family when the were travelling with us and we didn't make them pay. we sometimes are gifted with drink or meals which isn't expected. one time, we used points and shared a 2 bedroom with friends that also had kids and they paid for a nanny to travel with us.

we've only used our points with family when the were travelling with us and we didn't make them pay. we sometimes are gifted with drink or meals which isn't expected. one time, we used points and shared a 2 bedroom with friends that also had kids and they paid for a nanny to travel with us.
Mmm, where did you put the nanny, in the closet?

Mmm, where did you put the nanny, in the closet?
good question. 2 bedroom at Kidani. 5 adults (including nanny), 2 kids three and under and the other two were 7. so the nanny had their own bathroom and almost the entire living room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter