• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you ride the WDWRR just for fun or is it efficient transportation?

I ride it for fun, I like to ride the entire loop. It's relaxing and a nice break. I think I've ridden it once to get to Frontierland from the front of the park.

Not a quicker way to get around, but sometimes more enjoyable with being able to sit, look around and get a ride to the other side of the park.

Our next trip our plan is to focus on adventure land and frontier land one day-- when we are done and ready to leave we will hop on the train to ride around to main st station.

Not a quicker way to get around, but sometimes more enjoyable with being able to sit, look around and get a ride to the other side of the park.

Our next trip our plan is to focus on adventure land and frontier land one day-- when we are done and ready to leave we will hop on the train to ride around to main st station.
That is exactly what we're doing! Fun way to end the day, and we can rest our feet before the walk to the buses.

For what it’s worth, they wouldn’t let me take my city mini double on last Aug. I had to leave it so when we were finished, I had to walk back and get it.

Every couple of trips it's fun to ride the train for a round trip. Classic Disney and very relaxing!

We use it for transportation, but not really because it is efficient. We do it because it is more comfortable than walking. I usually plan dinner at a monorail resort for our MK days, so the train is a nice way to get from the back of the park to the front when we're ready to leave, or back to where we left off after dinner. Walking would probably be faster, but by 7-8 hours into the park day catching a ride is worth the few extra minutes it takes to get where we're going.

For what it’s worth, they wouldn’t let me take my city mini double on last Aug. I had to leave it so when we were finished, I had to walk back and get it.

When I was there in November my husband and 2 boys took the train for a fun ride around the park. A cast member offered for us to fold up our double stroller and put it on. I had the baby in there and a ton of stuff underneath it so I declined. But, perhaps if it’s not too packed some may let you. We were at the stop next to the Barnstormer.

Generally, walking is faster and more efficient. I used to read reports about some folks preferring the train first thing in the morning to get over by BTMRR, but that was ages ago.

We don't ride the train all that often.

As with other modes of WDW transportation, timing is often a factor. (last to board vs. just missing last call to board)

Last time we happened to ride it....it looked like it was about to pour, and we'd just gotten off the Barnstormer. In that special case, the train kept us a little dryer than if we'd walked. Not dry, just dryer. (I don't recall for sure, but I think it is one of the many rides that stop running during storms with lightning.)

We ride it for fun and transportation. I've always loved trains.

That said, our years in Ca. at DL ruined some of the WDWRR for us. At Disneyland, the train is better integrated into the park, and was designed to be in the sight lines of the park and show off the rest of the attractions (that was Walt's intent). Plus...dinosaurs!. At the MK, the train seems more removed,, often out of site of the park (or even outside the berm). I'm suspect Walt wouldn't have approved of the layout of the WDWRR. Still it's a train, so fun...but no Primeval World Dinosaurs, so booooo.

We ride it for fun. We ride when we need a break, and lines are long at other attractions.
Last trip, it was just DH and I and we made a point to ride the whole circuit since we hadn't done that since our first trip in 2010.
This year, we are planning to do it with our boys.

We always take at least one trip on the train (except one time, when it was closed for refurb). We love the nostalgia of riding in an old fashioned working replica of an old steam train.

Sometimes we ride it for fun and sometimes for efficiency. Quite often we do back to back Splash/BTMRR fp's and then we take the train to Fantasyland for a quick walk to our SM Fp.

We love the nostalgia of riding in an old fashioned working replica of an old steam train.

Nothing replica about it.

Real Baldwin engines (built 1916-1925) that saw real service in Mexico and had been decommissioned before they came to WDW. The fireboxes burn diesel instead of wood/coal, but otherwise the steam generated by the firebox still drives the engine and powers the lights just like they always did.

Nothing replica about it.

Real Baldwin engines (built 1916-1925) that saw real service in Mexico and had been decommissioned before they came to WDW. The fireboxes burn diesel instead of wood/coal, but otherwise the steam generated by the firebox still drives the engine and powers the lights just like they always did.

Great to know, thanks. That ups the nostalgia factor even more.

I was assuming it was a replica. Seemed like a safe assumption.

Both! We had some time before a FP was available so we caught it in Fantasyland and took it all the way around. Then as the day went on we caught it in Frontier land so we could avoid the crows and got off at Main Street. While it might not be faster, it was far less aggravating then getting through the crowd.

We take one full loop just for fun every trip to the MK. I love the train ride and my boys do also. From HM it would be WAY out of the way to get to a train station so walking up front would be a better plan.

Thinking we could take the train the day we will likely end at HM and ride to the the front of the park. But we'll have 2 double strollers so would it be "easier" just to walk. The kids would think the train is fun but don't want to do it on a day everyone is tired and just needs to leave. How do you use the train?

Strollers can't go on the train unless they're collapsible. And it is definitely not faster than walking. But, we did enjoy it, just to experience it.

The train is awesome, Walt Disney was a huge train buff, he'd like that people are still enjoying a train ride around his park even though there are far more advanced attractions now. :earsboy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter