Do You See Value In Beauty Pageants?

They haven't interested me since the '70s when my family and I would root for our state or the USA, but I don't want them banned or anything. As someone said, there are tons of things I don't value, but to get involved in them in a judgemental way is none of my freakin' business.
I remember doing that too as a child! The televised "Miss Canada" pagent was a big deal and my friends and I would be on the phone together on our rural party-line while it was on, talking about our favourites! :goodvibes Admittedly though, I knew nothing about the pagent world and whether or not it was exploitative.

As for the comments up-thread about parents forcing their girls into the activity, well we have a son who was not athletic at all. He just wasn't up for hockey or soccer, which is what most boys play here. Instead we, as parents, made the decision to put him in all kinds of other extra-cirriculars like music lessons, martial arts and civic clubs. Some he liked, some he didn't, but we "forced" him to finish at least one season of each in order to offer him an enriched experience. I imagine if he had been a daughter and pagents were an option we might have tried it and not considered ourselves abusive in any way. And we've also seen some very unhappy kids being pushed beyond their comfort zones in sports - why doesn't that strike anyone as exploitative?

Our small-town fall festival is in full swing, and last night was the annual Little Miss, Junior Miss, and Miss Viburnum (Viburnum being the name of our little hamlet) contests. All of the young ladies dressed in their finest gowns, showing off their talents, and so on.

The progressive, forward-thinking, equality-minded person in me sees such things as a throwback to a time when women were valued more for their beauty than their other qualities. Truth be told I find it kind of icky.

The reasonable and practical person in me says that no one is forcing those girls into these competitions, and if a young lass wants to parade herself in a pretty dress and awkwardly sing a church hymn in front of an appreciative crowd... well that's her business and not mine.

What say you?
I don't see value in it, but someone does for them to continue. One argument is that this industry employees people and can be a resume builder so if these went away there would be something to replace it. There's not one way to get to your goals. I do wish they would focus on the platforms they are for than prancing in a swimsuit but women are still willing to do it so more power to them. Women's rights are for choices whether you disagree with them or not. Now if women were enslaved to do pageants than I have a huge problem.

No value in my mind but they certainly don't bother me.

I do enjoy the pageantry!

Scam is not really the right word. It is more of a MLM I would say. You know that you have to have investment on the front end to get ahead. (Clothes, hair, lessons, etc.)

There are perks if you win and it can be fun. I have met women winners of contests in odd places in my life. Very nice people promoting their area.

Anyone here watch "Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders Making the Team"? It is my guilty pleasure. IF you make this team, you are "BRANDED". You can put that on your resume for life.

In all fairness to the DCC, they put you through a VERY strict vetting process and you ARE under the microscope. So, career wise, you are always going to be in the spotlight. However the DCC trains these women to do cheerleading AND media. 50% of the job is media and they train you. Not a bad gig if you want to do it.

Bottom line, I am for the freedom of expression, even if it is not my thing.

Even the winners don't make a profit, so it's scam in my book.

Professional football cheerleader would not be a big thing on any resume for me - not a 'talent' or skill in any way. It's all based on looks and the ability to control people. Not the type I would want working for me. So, I guess they would be branded for me as well - as sheep. Pretty sheep, but sheep nonetheless.

I don't like them, especially for children. No interest in watching them. I think they objectify women/girls.

Professional football cheerleader would not be a big thing on any resume for me - not a 'talent' or skill in any way. It's all based on looks and the ability to control people. Not the type I would want working for me. So, I guess they would be branded for me as well - as sheep. Pretty sheep, but sheep nonetheless.

I am thinking you don't know much about NFL cheerleaders. I once believed the same stereotype as you did until my daughter became involved with the NFL squad in our town. The definitely have a talent. They have to be very, very accomplished dancers. There are thousands who try out for 26 spots each year. It is based on dance ability and professionalism, not looks. There are many different types of "looks" amongst the ladies. They have incredibly fit bodies to wear those skimpy uniforms. which lends to the stereotype of looks. But that is because they are accomplished dance athletes not just pretty 'lil things. Being on the sidelines, seeing up close the six packs on those women is daunting.

The women on the current squad are all college graduates, now either professionals or in grad school. There are several in med and law school. They are teachers, nurses, speech and physical therapists, software engineers, accountants, and an over abundance of them are in fields of human services. They all have charities they dedicate themselves to. They all have very successful lives, dancing for an NFL squad is just a part time gig. It is something fun they do, not their profession. And they certainly are not sheep.

Not sure what dancers have to do with Pageants or how they got lumped together, but they are not remotely similar.

Last edited:

I don't agree with you personally so we will have to agree to disagree. Being a member of the DCC is HUGE as far as perks. To say otherwise is folly imo.

I am thinking you don't know much about NFL cheerleaders. I once believed the same stereotype as you did until my daughter became involved with the NFL squad in our town. The definitely have a talent. They have to be very, very accomplished dancers. There are thousands who try out for 26 spots each year. It is based on dance ability and professionalism, not looks. There are many different types of "looks" amongst the ladies. They have incredibly fit bodies to wear those skimpy costumes. which lends to the stereotype of looks. But that is because they are accomplished dance athletes not just pretty 'lil things. Being on the sidelines, seeing up close the six packs on those women is daunting.

The women on the current squad are all college graduates, now either professionals or in grad school. There are several in med and law school. They are teachers, nurses, speech and physical therapists, software engineers, accountants, and an over abundance of them are in fields of human services. They all have charities they dedicate themselves to. They all have very successful lives, dancing for an NFL squad is just a part time gig. And they certainly are not sheep.

Not sure what dancers have to do with Pageants or how they got lumped together, but they are not remotely similar.

I lumped them together because the opinion of it not being a worthy of doing as a female is given the same weight as a beauty pageant participant for some people.

Our small-town fall festival is in full swing, and last night was the annual Little Miss, Junior Miss, and Miss Viburnum (Viburnum being the name of our little hamlet) contests. All of the young ladies dressed in their finest gowns, showing off their talents, and so on.

The progressive, forward-thinking, equality-minded person in me sees such things as a throwback to a time when women were valued more for their beauty than their other qualities. Truth be told I find it kind of icky.

The reasonable and practical person in me says that no one is forcing those girls into these competitions, and if a young lass wants to parade herself in a pretty dress and awkwardly sing a church hymn in front of an appreciative crowd... well that's her business and not mine.

What say you?

I don't care one way or the other. They will go the way of the dinosaur when the audience dries up & contestants stop signing up.

If there is so much more to it than outward appearance, why do they undergo such heroic measures to maximize outward appearance?

First impressions? I mean I go to any meeting or job interview looking my best, first impression. Who you gonna hire/reward the person in the nice dress or 3 piece suit or the person in jeans & a sweatshirt.

If thry are over 18, I guess that's their business, but I despise children beauty pageants. I think they can do damage to the losers AND the winners.

Now, here is a link to a spoof of "Toddlers and Tiaras" starring Tom Hank. It's really hilarious, but it is also spot on

That is the funniest thing I've heard all night. :rotfl:

At least the Miss USA and Miss Universe pageants don't even pretend they are more than a beauty contest. They have no talent competition, and no scholarships are awarded.

I guess if people want to participate or watch them that's fine, I have zero interest. The only potential value is the experience of being able to appear in front of audience with some degree of comfort, and if there is a skill involved (dancing/gymnastics/singing) there would be some value in that.

I'll admit that when I was a little girl I never missed them. My sister, cousins and I would play "Miss Universe". It changed for me when Trump took over. The contest became a lewd show, with contestants wearing the skimpiest bikinis and doing suggestive move and dances. That was a total departure to what the contest was before, and that's when I stopped watching

First impressions? I mean I go to any meeting or job interview looking my best, first impression. Who you gonna hire/reward the person in the nice dress or 3 piece suit or the person in jeans & a sweatshirt.

I din't think that being well-groomed and presentable is what Cant wait 4 Disney meant by saying "heroic measures to maximize outward appearance" I think this means plastic surgeries, implants, etc.

Last edited:
I din't think that being well-groomed and presentable is what Cant wait 4 Disney meant by saying "heroic measures to maximize outward appearance" I think this means plastic surgeries, implants, etc.

And the only people who do this are pageant people? I have seen "regular" women & men who do this also.

Women breasts & face, men chest & behind.

I'm mixed on this. My roommate in college was a pageant girl and was in a few of the Mrs America feeders. She won the Miss "insert large state university" title our junior year and had to make multiple civic appearances during her reign, as well as follow certain ethical standards and be involved in community service and some public speaking engagements. She had a year of tuition paid as part of her winnings. She competed in the state level Miss America pageant, but did not place (much to her relief). She was happy to have won, but didn't enjoy the added commitment required of her.

So, for the high school/ college age pageants, yes I see a bit of a benefit. The participants who learn to speak in public and how to present themselves well, both in individual and group settings tend to do well and can help pay for part of their education. The "tan, teeth and ta-ta" pageants (Miss USA for an example) don't impress me at all.

You are correct.

Here Here. I like to look good for a job interview. I use butt glue, wax my teeth, have a consultation or 20 with the wardrobe and make up artists, put Preparation H under my eyes, slather Preparation H all over myself and then wrap myself in Saran wrap and run on the treadmill, have a rib or two removed to make my waist look better, and undergo jaw, face, and ear surgery to make myself look nice before a job interview. Doesn't everyone do the same?

Here Here. I like to look good for a job interview. I use butt glue, wax my teeth, have a consultation or 20 with the wardrobe and make up artists, put Preparation H under my eyes, slather Preparation H all over myself and then wrap myself in Saran wrap and run on the treadmill, have a rib or two removed to make my waist look better, and undergo jaw, face, and ear surgery to make myself look nice before a job interview. Doesn't everyone do the same?

Again you think only these women do things like that? My DM did thecPrep H thing for years, she also did the Saran Wrap. & she was SAHM. She also had someone to do her hair & makeup,for occasions. So to denigrate these women is just wrong.

If they were the only ones doing plastic surgery then the surgeons would be broke.

You know if that is what they want to do, so be it. Not my cup of tea but who am I to judge them as less than because of their choice.

And if think only women go to these extremes ROFLMAO. We have one guy here who wears more makeup than most of the women. And he wears spanks - former model in his 50s

Well not to me but I was never in a pageant and Dd flat refused. But if a child likes doing it and it's fun and their "thing", what's the harm?

No different than 4 year olds in dance class or cheer or little boys on the ball field. What holds importance to one won't to another.

And just like most things have become, if you don't start young, they don't have much chance of competing later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter