Do You See Value In Beauty Pageants?

Not my thing, but I would never tell someone that their hobby was not important to them or has no value. I have to say though, through my special needs charity work, I interact with the Miss America and Jr Miss America contestants for our state quite a bit. Over the years, each and every one of them have been outstanding women, tirelessly dedicating their young lives to working for different causes that are important to them. So, maybe they do have some value. Maybe there is more to the pageants than just outward appearance.

I can respect charity work. But, i don't see that being a beauty pageant contestant is a prerequisite for charity work. I don't see how the two activities are dependent upon each other.

But, I admit I am biased. I am of the opinion that pageants promote standards of beauty that are unachievable to most women thereby placing undue value on appearance alone. Pageants are superficial beauty. True beauty has to do with more than make up, clothes and sex appeal.

Yup, I'm biased, no doubt.

Even the winners don't make a profit, so it's scam in my book.

Professional football cheerleader would not be a big thing on any resume for me - not a 'talent' or skill in any way. It's all based on looks and the ability to control people. Not the type I would want working for me. So, I guess they would be branded for me as well - as sheep. Pretty sheep, but sheep nonetheless.

The DCC are incredibly skilled athletes. It takes more than a pretty face to memorize 70 or so dances each season and dance for three+ hours at every game.

Not my cup of tea and I will honestly make fun of those who enter. There are girl who do it with legit talents and that's great, but for those who do it for the crown and are complete snobs (amongst other things) then I'll pass. A girl friend of mine entered pageants for the scholarship money. She mocks herself for doing it, but it helped pay for college. My aunt was the "queen" for a local festival that use to occur in my hometown and also used the money to pay for college. I have mixed feelings when it comes to rodeo queens though, as the girls who have participated have had to actually show off their (legit) horseman ship talents as part of the competition.

A town that we were living in for a number of years had a festival and parade each August where there would be at least 4 different royalty groups participating. The queen and her court riding a nice float from the big city an hour and half away, our county rodeo queen and her court, the county just across the state line and its rodeo queen and her court, the festival queen and her court, and one other that escapes me right now. While the beauty pageant queens and their court were pretty and the girls oohed and aaahed at their dresses, it was the rodeo queens and her court that the girls really liked. They were comfy in their jeans and cowboy boots, beautiful hats (and tiaras), and equally beautiful horses and saddles.

I like the way our town does the festival "little miss" and "queen" competitions - rather than a live competition, contestants (or their parents) submit a picture. All the pictures for each age group go up on a board attached to a box with change slots in it, one slot for each contestant, and these are placed in local businesses. A dime = a vote, and all proceeds go to support the festival.

In general, I don't like pageants. I don't think beauty for its own sake is something we should be teaching little girls to aspire to, so I don't see it as on par with sports, dance, drama, or other youth activities. Those are all about learning a game or skill, teamwork, the value of practice, etc. I don't see those same lessons in youth pageants. And I've heard enough 8 and 9yos lament being "fat" or "too short" or "too tall" or otherwise unhappy with their bodies that I don't think the message that girls and women should be judged on their looks is harmless.

Eh I don't care either way. It seems that some do it for the cash prizes and maybe a stepping stone to get into modeling or acting.

The DCC are incredibly skilled athletes. It takes more than a pretty face to memorize 70 or so dances each season and dance for three+ hours at every game.
There are MANY. MANY dancers capable of what they do and then some. My 14 year old being one of them. Their routines aren't that hard. The problem is that many of those dancers who have actual talent and skill have an athletic body type that doesn't fit the DCC mold.

There are MANY. MANY dancers capable of what they do and then some. My 14 year old being one of them. Their routines aren't that hard. The problem is that many of those dancers who have actual talent and skill have an athletic body type that doesn't fit the DCC mold.

Are you implying they don't have skill and talent? Sounds like you are judging them due to their looks. They have beautiful faces and nice bodies so they couldn't possibly be talented and skilled?

Dd is fighting a bit of that in her activity. Luckily she is getting the chance to work with some successful women in the career and have proved you can be pretty and have "the look" AND be skilled and talented.

It's not any easier to be dismissed as untalented because you have a certain look than it is to be dismissed because you don't have the look even though you are talented.

Our town does the Little Miss and Junior Miss based on an essay. The girls have to write a page and add some pictures (NOT of themselves) about what's awesome about our town. The town board votes on the winner. The winners still get to dress up and put on tiaras and ride in the parade and stuff, but it's not based on their appearance in any sense.

I asked my DD if she wanted to be a Little Miss next year (the first year she'd be old enough) and I got a huge resounding NO! She's the same kid who I spent Easter morning arguing with because she wouldn't wear her Easter dress to church "I. DON'T. WEAR. DRESSES."

Someday her 5 year old stubbornness and quirkiness is going to be an assert.... I hope....

Are you implying they don't have skill and talent? Sounds like you are judging them due to their looks. They have beautiful faces and nice bodies so they couldn't possibly be talented and skilled?

Dd is fighting a bit of that in her activity. Luckily she is getting the chance to work with some successful women in the career and have proved you can be pretty and have "the look" AND be skilled and talented.

It's not any easier to be dismissed as untalented because you have a certain look than it is to be dismissed because you don't have the look even though you are talented.

Show her the Science Cheerleaders. They're awesome and smart and beautiful :-)
https://www.sciencecheerleader.com/

I see value in pageants.

Now, the pageant that you list sounds like a local fundraiser which is probably not one of the larger systems (Miss America Organization and Miss USA are the two largest systems), so I can't speak for it.

What most people who watch pageants do not understand is that 40-60% of the score is actually not even visible onstage - the big determiner when it comes to the winner is in interview. This happens (sometimes days) before the show and behind closed doors. But what a pageant system is looking for is a representative - someone who is intelligent, has educated opinions, and can communicate her thoughts clearly. They want someone engaging and with public speaking skills. Because the actual "job" of the winner (yes, for winners of the larger systems at the state and national level, this is a job) is to make public appearances, read to kids in hospitals, participate in fundraisers, etc. But, in order for a pageant to raise money for scholarships, they need a show - and that's what everyone sees, beautiful young women walking on a stage.

Pageants give young women a lot of great life skills - interview practice, confidence in public speaking, and volunteering and raising money for good causes. This can be learned participating at every level. But what most people don't understand is that the winners at state and national level are actually very intelligent, well-informed women who happen to also walk well in an evening gown.

*Editing to add that I do not support child beauty pageants (the Toddlers & Tiaras type). This, to me, is the parents living through their children. If you have a daughter and want her to one day become Miss America, do not have her do child beauty pageants. Instead, encourage her to pursue a talent that she is passionate about - whether that be dance, piano, singing, etc. The problem with these child pageants is that they aren't focusing on developing actual skills and technique and instead rely on sloppily memorizing an easy routine.

Last edited:
I don't like child beauty pageants. I'm not fond of seeing kids decked out in so much make up that it looks like they used a whole bottle of foundation and two tubes of mascara etc. But outside of that I like to see the creative side of the contestants, especially all of the pretty dresses in the bigger beauty pageants like Miss USA.

I think the pageant world is very antiquated. Sure, there's a talent component but let's face it, the prettiest girl wins, and I don't think that's a very good message to be broadcasting. Girls as young as kindergarten age are self-conscious as our society is one of, "the prettier the better, the skinnier the better", and I don't like that. People come in all shapes and sizes and to judge based on beauty seems strange. But, these pageants have been around for quite a while and I don't see them disappearing anytime soon.

Also, the little girls with a full face of makeup and perfectly coifed hair give me the heebee jeebies. As a mother, I can't imagine ever thinking that making up my 8-year-old to look like an 18-year-old would be a good thing.

Then why are all the athletic women that can do the moves without a pretty face cut?

The cute ones sell, but they still have to do the moves correctly or show they can work and improve on them. DCC sell calendars and merch so I certainly wouldn't want someone with not so good features to represent my product if it was based on looks. Some products don't focus on that and others do.

Show her the Science Cheerleaders. They're awesome and smart and beautiful :-)
https://www.sciencecheerleader.com/
So are you saying regular pageant girls aren't smart? You have to be one of the girls you post about to satisfy you? Those pageant girls at the top at least go to top notch schools. Your "smart cheerleaders" doesn't take away from the smarts the other beauty pageant contestants have. Neither one is better or worse than the other.

Last edited:
You are correct.

Here Here. I like to look good for a job interview. I use butt glue, wax my teeth, have a consultation or 20 with the wardrobe and make up artists, put Preparation H under my eyes, slather Preparation H all over myself and then wrap myself in Saran wrap and run on the treadmill, have a rib or two removed to make my waist look better, and undergo jaw, face, and ear surgery to make myself look nice before a job interview. Doesn't everyone do the same?
See, you're doing it right. Good for you. I get my nails and hair done or at least colored and cut before an interview. I put on makeup and wear nice clothes. I would have my teeth whitened and have some botox done too. I see nothing wrong with that. I'm pretty sure the rib removal is not done by all. It's competitive and yes, some go overboard to win but it's none of our business what they do or why.

Then why are all the athletic women that can do the moves without a pretty face cut?
I am not sure they are. There are all types of "looks" on our local squad. I wouldn't categorize them as all model perfect beauty. They all do have very athletic bodies due to them being athletes though, which I think makes everyone think they were the most "beautiful" ones that tried out. Each of the ladies on the squad are lovely girls, but that is their personality shining through.

Not DCC, but I can guarantee you that our local NFL squad has lots of "athletic" bodies.

One of the ladies on our local NFL squad is a engineering grad from Cal Tech. Can't really get much smarter than that. Hopefully she never gets pigeon holed as a dumb, sheep, cheerleader because she knows how to dance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter