Do you spray for mosquitoes?

HeatherC

Alas...these people I live with ...
We are considering spraying this year due to all the mosquito born diseases running rampant here in Massachusetts last year. The state or town does not spray in our location even though they had to cancel all outdoor activities last year due to EEE . We would like to use our yard and pool so we are looking into getting someone to spray.

Anyone else spray? Is it worth the money and effective? Any questions we should ask?

Thanks so much!

We did for a couple of years. It was effective, but we decided it was not as environmentally friendly as the company claimed it to be. Our summer vegetable garden was the worse it's ever been those years, and I think it was because the spray killed all the pollinators.

We live next to a somewhat swampy pond, and get TONS of mosquitos (the other MN state bird). Our first summer living here, our yard was almost unusable. We purchased a MegaCatch Ultra (mosquito catching machine that you can hook up to a CO2 tank), and it was night-and-day. Big investment (the trap is ~$1k), but 8-years later, it is still running strong, costs us about $30/summer in CO2, and we enjoy the yard without any signs of skeeters.

When I get to those pearly gates I'm going to say Uh God. The mosquito? Were you having a brain fart or something? And after he says It was either that or make Barney and the Telletubbies real, I'll say Oh. That's why.

We use stuff to keep them away but the sprays that kill them we found affect more than just mosquitos. And everyone in the area would have to use the sprays to truly get them.

Last edited:
We have never and likely will never spray this is including at our house and farm.
Last year my sister sprayed and it was almost like it attracted them so she won't be doing it again.

We are just getting ready to set up our Mosquito Magnet. It needs to run 4-6 weeks to break the cycle, so we start it about a month before expected issues. It's not cheap ($350+ depending on model), but after you buy it yearly supplies cost about $100.

And my neighbors love us! We can all go out at sunset everyday and not get attacked. Without it, you better run when the sun goes down.

We do not. Our city sprays for mosquitos and usually that takes pretty good care of it

We have the mosquito fog trucks that come through the neighborhood. I don't think it is adequate so whenever I know we are going to have a backyard party I spray an entire bottle of Cutter Backyard Bug Control 32-fl oz Concentrate Insect Killer The manufacturer says it lasts 12 weeks which I say is BS but it does work well for a bit. If I remember I do it in late May and then try to apply again a day or two before any backyard party just to pump up the volume.

Last year we had a crazy mosquito problem. We had someone come spray and saw a noticeable difference. But not sure how I feel about continuing that. I’m looking at the CO2 device to see if that’s a better solution.

Yes. I used to not be able to go to the backyard without getting eaten alive - like literally 10+ bites after 20 minutes. The first time we did it, I got but maybe twice in two weeks. I never got but after the second treatment.

We moved from Tennessee to Georgia and switched companies. I wasn’t entirely happy with last season but it got better towards the end. They should be starting up again very soon. We’ll see how it goes in May otherwise I’ll make the switch.

We only spray before a party. So, it's unlikely this year. Otherwise just natural repellents...

Dry here too, but we still get mosquitoes....but we have pest control .They come every 2 months in spring/summer/fall and every 3 months in winter. We have lots of other bugs!!

I will spray myself once in a blue moon if I'm outside after dark but to actually spray the yard......nope.

Used to live in Chicago area and Summer was miserable with those critters (and I'm so lucky that I get huge welts from the bites!) we live in the desert now. ahhhhh..... we can actually use our patio!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter