Do you utilize the space under the bed to store your luggage? with POLL

• Yes

Votes: 94 51.1%
  • No

Votes: 87 47.3%
  • Not my luggage but other items possibly

Votes: 3 1.6%

• Total voters

Going back quite a few years on the boards, luggage under the beds was not recommended
due to bed bugs. This was during the whole put your luggage in the bathroom while you
flashlight the bed Disboard phase. (2009?) I still don't put anything under the bed for
that reason -- old habits.
For this very reason, I keep my luggage in or near the closet. I unpack, but keep all items in sealed bags. I then take additional precautions when I get home, in case I unknowingly brought any “hitchhikers” with me. I know it isn’t foolproof and the nasty little boogers can be found anywhere, but I think I might have brought a couple home with me after a visit to WDW several years ago. I do not wish to repeat that experience and it gives me a little peace of mind.

For this very reason, I keep my luggage in or near the closet. I unpack, but keep all items in sealed bags. I then take additional precautions when I get home, in case I unknowingly brought any “hitchhikers” with me. I know it isn’t foolproof and the nasty little boogers can be found anywhere, but I think I might have brought a couple home with me after a visit to WDW several years ago. I do not wish to repeat that experience and it gives me a little peace of mind.
In warm months, luggage left in a hot car for a day when you get back home is a pretty easy safeguard method. Bed bugs die if exposed to 113 for 90 min or more, and within 20 min at 119. The eggs need 90min at 118 to all die.

Here are car temps: (from various sources)
At 70, your car can get to 104 after 30 minutes, and 113 after 60minutes.
At 80 degrees outside car can get to 99 degrees inside in 10 minutes and 114 after 30 minutes.
At 85 degrees outside car can get to 104 degrees inside in 10 minutes and 119 after 30 minutes.
At 90 degrees outside it can get to 109 degrees inside after 10 minutes and 124 after 30 minutes.

So we try to always leave most our luggage in the car for day when we get home in warmer months, minus toiletries/anything perishable.

Heat also kills viruses, too!

We go to Saratoga Springs and Copper Creek often and the nice laminate floors make it so easy to slide our hardside luggage underneath. We leave our clothes packed and slide them out like drawers. We have bag in the corner of the room as our clothes hamper. Works great.

Our empty suitcases (all 20"-21" rolling bags) go under the bed if they fit: otherwise, we stack them in front of the connecting door or in some other unused corner of the room.

All of our things are packed into packing cubes or other "containers"(toiletry cases, a folding bin for foodstuffs, pouches for electronics and cords) that can easily be placed in dresser drawers, tucked under the vanity or placed on the kitchenette counter, and I put an empty laundry bag on the floor of the closet to hold whatever's been worn, so there are never many "loose items" around the room. Unpacking and repacking take all of 5 minutes.

Last edited:
Usually NO, however we did a couple years ago at WL when the rooms were completely new. I felt like everything was clean and wasn't sckeeved.

I live out of my suitcase so it went on a little bench between the TV unit/chest of drawers/fridge and the bathroom. Had a small pop up laundry basket in the bathroom for dirty clothes and a small basket on top by the TV for small bits like magic bands, suncream, various other bits and bobs picked up like receipts etc.

Going back quite a few years on the boards, luggage under the beds was not recommended
due to bed bugs
. This was during the whole put your luggage in the bathroom while you
flashlight the bed Disboard phase. (2009?) I still don't put anything under the bed for
that reason -- old habits.
THIS
I wasn't on DIS then, but this is why we don't utilize that space and we use plastic packing cubes that go in the drawers. Can't eliminate the risk 100% anywhere, but we take extra steps most people would prob find extreme. We also carve in time for laundry 99% of the time - nothing comes home without being run through a hot dryer lol.

But the alternative? Nope.nope.nope.

THIS
I wasn't on DIS then, but this is why we don't utilize that space and we use plastic packing cubes that go in the drawers. Can't eliminate the risk 100% anywhere, but we take extra steps most people would prob find extreme. We also carve in time for laundry 99% of the time - nothing comes home without being run through a hot dryer lol.

But the alternative? Nope.nope.nope.
You couldn't store your luggage under the bed at Disney in 2009, all beds had frames that went to the floor. Unfortunately most packing cubes (fabric, which is what most people use for space saving) won't help if there are bedbugs in the drawers, they will attach to the cubes and get inside. A lot of people don't wash the packing cubes, so it can be a false sense of security. And I am guilty of it! The hot dryer is a good precaution. With a lot of the floors in the hotel rooms at Disney now being a hard surface, it's not as likely to get bedbugs from storing your suitcases under the bed. More of a risk with carpeting.

You couldn't store your luggage under the bed at Disney in 2009, all beds had frames that went to the floor. Unfortunately most packing cubes (fabric, which is what most people use for space saving) won't help if there are bedbugs in the drawers, they will attach to the cubes and get inside. A lot of people don't wash the packing cubes, so it can be a false sense of security. And I am guilty of it! The hot dryer is a good precaution. With a lot of the floors in the hotel rooms at Disney now being a hard surface, it's not as likely to get bedbugs from storing your suitcases under the bed. More of a risk with carpeting.
I can't speak to the bed situation at WDW only began staying on property during our trips about 4-5 years ago. But I did agree with the part I bolded in the previous post about not putting suitcases under beds. I wasn't here for the 2009 discussion, but have definitely read that in other places.

I agree, the fabric cubes will not help at all and so glad hotels are switching to hard surfaces!

With the plastic cubes we use, any hitchhikers are prob easier to spot, and I figure drawers are likely not where they'll lurk, they'll head to the bed once a guest occupies it and probably stay there. These are hand washed and rubbed down with rubbing alcohol once we get home (so are our hardshell-only suitcases).

As an aside, these are what we use in case anyone is interested in something to help organize and isn't fabric.
https://www.ezpacking.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuPSqk5yH_gIVtcmUCR0YiwjCEAAYASAAEgLSxvD_BwE.

We always unpack and put the luggage in the closet so it is out of the way if staying for several days. Many hotel rooms don't have space under the bed for luggage and not sure what the point would be of putting it there. If only staying one night, might use those luggage stands to avoid putting it on the floor or unpacking.

Just got back from POP and yes we kept most of our suitcases under the bed. As far as BB's, other then in beds, they will mostly be by the walls, baseboards, outlets, closets etc. It's my job to be the first in the room to check the beds and around the walls.

We always unpack and put the luggage in the closet so it is out of the way if staying for several days. Many hotel rooms don't have space under the bed for luggage and not sure what the point would be of putting it there. If only staying one night, might use those luggage stands to avoid putting it on the floor or unpacking.
I think most of us are referring to renovated rooms with the new beds that have open space underneath. We never stored luggage under old styled beds but think the new space might be useful this trip since we are now four adults and likely more luggage than past trips.

^^ Wasn't sure since the OP didn't mention specific resorts and seemed to be asking a general question. When we last stayed @ Contemporary a few years ago, as I recall the bed was attached to the floor and there wasn't any room underneath for storage. Perhaps that also varies by resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter