Do you think JCpenny's new pricing will work?

eliza61

DIS Veteran
We've all seen those annoying but memorable commercials now. The one's with the various women screaming... Anyway JCpenny's is switching over to some thing called "fair and square" pricing. The hook is supposed to be that instead of "marking" up merchandise only to run a sale, the prices will be low all the time.

I have to say part of me is interested and part is skeptical.

I totally admit I'm "programmed" to wait for sales. It's like I don't buy until I see that word. I have also gotten ticked off when I want to buy some thing and I have to play the "wait and hope" game. Because of my sizing a lot of times if I wait for a sale my size is never available.

http://www.businessweek.com/management/jc-penneys-risky-new-pricing-strategy-01312012.html

As a working mom who can only shop on weekends and alternate Fridays, and as the one who forgets the blankety-blank coupon every time a store has one, I LOVE this idea. I was in JCP this weekend and the everyday prices are incredibly reasonable. Plus, every first and third Friday, they have what would be "clearance" sales - certain racks with extra low prices. I saw belts and scarves for $1, got my son pajamas and Toy Story booties for $4 each, and got myself a bunch of cute panties for $2 each as far as these "super sales" go. And I noticed the other prices were very good, too. Men's SJB shirts were $10 or $15 as the regular price, which is what a polo should be, instead of the $30 or $40 "regular" price.

I really hope this succeeds because I like it so much more than the sale & coupon game for department stores. Khol's ticks me off because all of their stuff is so high for regular, MSR prices, and every freakin' week they are having a sale with the "lowest price ever" on something or other. And those $10 for $50 Khol's cash is just their way of getting (forcing?) you to come back and spend more.

And as a size 10P in pants, if I wait too long for the prices to come down, I can't find any decent pants or skirts.

Unfortunately I dont think it's going to be successful long term for JCP. I agree that many of us respond to "sale" and I also think the article is correct in saying nothing about JCP makes it stand out from its competition.

On habit I have developed from online shopping is looking for codes before finalizing a purchase and also free shipping options. I recently ordered from JPC online and my pet peeve was the shipping charges.

Kohls and Amazon are great marketers of free shipping at almost anytime and Kohls of course always has a sale & code going. It doesnt necessarily make Kohls a better deal but I think it can give people the impression that it is.

In theory more transparency with pricing is a good thing but I think you are right that we have been programmed to develop the habits we have and it will be a tough sell, especially in this economy.

I really hope this succeeds because I like it so much more than the sale & coupon game for department stores. Khol's ticks me off because all of their stuff is so high for regular, MSR prices, and every freakin' week they are having a sale with the "lowest price ever" on something or other. And those $10 for $50 Khol's cash is just their way of getting (forcing?) you to come back and spend more.

Yes, I believe their new pricing is a direct "shot" at Kohl's! You can get some really good deals at Kohl's, however their "regular" prices are so inflated, even higher then MSRP. Their idea is that it is better to inflate the prices and tell people that they are getting 30% off versus the 10% or so that they are really getting off.

I am a regular JCP shopper. Every time I go to the mall I call my mom and vice versa. We go over what coupons we have and what are the best ones to use. Whenever I go without a coupon I get so mad at myself! I am happy for the JCP change! Less work on my end.
I also shop at Target a lot and they seldom have % off sales (except out of season merch) so it shouldn't stun me too much while shopping.
I bought some sunglasses at JCP last weekend and looked over the shoe dept. The prices seemed very resonable. Oh, and I loved that they've done away with the .99 pricing too! Everything was $11, or $20!

No I do not. I think the article pointed this out. This is JcPenney not Apple. They do not have a unique item they are selling.

So I was a sucker thinking everything would go 40% like the rumor stated. So I waited to buy the things I needed for vacation. After spending some time and walking around I realized the only thing that was discounted were the cheaper brands. I was so frustrated. Everything I looked at had the same price that it was 2 months ago. Boys suits, undergarments, shoes, and many other items. I thought I would purchase a small kids dress that was overpriced so I could get the 15% off coupon on the receipt. It was not longer on there.

After talking with the employees they all seem almost defensive about their store. When I asked how it was going and then stated I did not like it and would not be back. It has all been reduced by 40% they stated loudly. I told them that was not true of 1 item that I came into buy. They spouted out several examples. All items I did not need or by brands that I have never purchased because they are crap! They then told me to come back and just shop for their clearance items. :laughing: Yeah, thanks but no!

I'm not going to shop there nearly as much. I used to do a great deal of shopping there. I loved their sales and clearance. This past weekend, I had to spend all day at the mall as dd was performing there, and I looked JCP over pretty thoroughly. No way are the "everyday" prices anything I would pay, and I heard lots of people saying the same thing. I was unimpressed with the small amount of stuff that was on sale as well.

With $10 off of a $25 purchase, you didn't need to wait for a sale. I am going to miss the coupons and so far, their website shopping stinks. Everything I look at in the "Best Buy" section is available in only one color, or a size 4, or petite or plus or tall. No regular misses sizes available. :surfweb:

I think it was all hype, strategy to make people believe it. Try walking in and see if levis are 40% off. Not a chance. I dont buy any of the hype. I am sure there will be people who believe it. I am not knocking anyone who wants to shop there, but it wont be me.

It was all marketing and hype. Anyone that is familiar with their prices knows the products aren't really "40% off".

I think the whole concept will flop.

I was able to get a great deal on girl's jeans in the store but I have looked at the website and did not find anything I want to buy.

I love target but I rarely buy any clothing there.

Count me as one that will probably never set foot in the store again. It is an impossibility that they will even approach the 40% they are touting ..... across the board. Yeah, right. Like pp stated, Levi's are absolutely going to be off the table. In addition, I am plus-sized and can tell you that even with the 40%, their prices (for the merchandise they offer) will be too high. JCP has a tendency in their plus-size dept. to charge Macy's prices for K-Mart's quality. I usually only buy DH sporty clothes there, but will go back to buying them at sports stores with a better selection.

They will save a gizzillion dollars every week if they are not running sales - we get at least 2-3 color flyers every week with their "sales" in the past.

They're trying to upscale the store it would appear, esp. after their hiring of the new CEO.

This won't work for us and I'm sure for many people who regularly use the coupons + JCP cash + sales/clearance racks.

My wife has come home with some *amazing* bargains but that's all out the door now.

I'm not a JC Penny shoper usually, but I went in there last week and I was very impressed with the prices! $3 for pants and shirts for my DD and $5 jeans for my 5 year old. Serioulsly, those prices can't be beat!

I won't be shopping there anymore. I don't normally buy their house brand of clothing as the quality is not that great and it seems like that is the only stuff that is lower in price. I do love to shop their clearance but don't like the fact that you can now only do that on a couple of Fridays a month. Not worth fighting the crowds that will produce. Add in the fact that you can no longer use coupons or earn rewards, i'm out.

Another frequent JCP shopper that is unimpressed with the changes. The staple items we bought frequently are now about 20% less than the old regular price, but are much higher without sales/coupons now.

Went to the mall today and JCP was completely dead, there wasn't 5 customers in the entire store. We went to Macy's to shop and waited in line over 15 minutes each time to check out as the lines were so long. The clerk said that since JCP had changed, their sales were up nearly 30% over last year and they weren't staffed yet for the increased volume. We were impressed with Macy's clearance prices.

JCWho?

I was going to purchase cellular shades for my entire house (22 windows) during one of their sales. Not anymore. Their prices are the same as Lowe's. This is not the savings I was planning on getting with sale prices and coupons.

Sorry JC Penney, but you will not be our go-to store anymore.

I have to say that I love this idea. I am getting so disgusted with all of the sales and coupons, you can't just walk into a Macy's or a Kohl's and buy something, you have to have a coupon or you feel like your getting ripped off.

I guess I am just not organized enough, because I NEVER have the coupon. At Christmas time I would be out shopping and literally avoided certain stores because I hadn't done my homework and prepared ahead of time to shop in that store.

I have been purchasing clothing for my little one, mostly online, for the past year. When we moved to Daytona Beach, my ability to easily hit the clearance racks at multiple children's clothing stores all in the same weekend bit the dust. (God, I miss living in the Atlanta area!) Anyway, JCP has been a part of my online shopping. I am just not that thrilled with what I am seeing offered by them at this point when it comes to clothing her.

I am currently working on putting together her 3T wardrobe. She just got into the 24 mo/2T sizes and I pretty much have everything I need for her in that size category. I had been watching with interest the JCP website to see just what was going to be offered under the new system. Many prices actually rose. A few things did drop, but the items are not actually available for purchase when you click on them consider making the purchase. The items that are priced lower are the store brand stuff, which is no better than buying Faded Glory at Walmart.

I am super picky about the clothes that I put on my little one. I actually have rules for this. I will not have her looking like a tiny hoochie. I will not have her body being used as a billboard. The clothing can not have any Mommy/Daddy/Grandparent/Aunt/Uncle type wording and any wording must not be of a type that is too sassy. No pictures of unhealthy foods on her clothing either. Her clothes must be of good quality because she is at the age now where she will be in that size for close to a year now, so the stuff has to last and hold up to a very active 2 year old's lifestyle. There are a few other minor rules, mostly things that are necessary due to her being so tall, like all shorts must be bermuda length and that sort of thing.

Ok, so back to the point, JCP has more or less let me down with the changes. I have found that Belks and Macys offer better prices in general on similar, if not better quality clothing and they both offer sales and great rock bottom clearance pricing.

I think someone had better start looking for the fork because unless some changes are made, JCP is done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter