Do you tip for curbside pickup?

Kittyblue

7322, 32502, <3
When I've picked up food curbside I always tip, but I never have at places like Walmart or Target. After I did a pickup at Walmart today I started wondering if I'm supposed to tip? I don't think I saw an option on the app when I placed my order.

When I've picked up food curbside I always tip, but I never have at places like Walmart or Target. After I did a pickup at Walmart today I started wondering if I'm supposed to tip? I don't think I saw an option on the app when I placed my order.

I never did, but the last tie it looked liked the guy wanted one, I was wondering same thing

I work at Target. I say no tip at curbside pickup.

#1 we start at $15/hr (even in a state with minimum wage still $7.25) And frankly the flexible fulfillment person who shopped for you did a lot more work than the person who ran it out to your car. But they wouldn’t be the one getting your tip.

#2 we aren’t allowed tips. We are supposed to say no thank you. But if you insist, we are supposed to put the tip in the register. I’m sure co-workers have accepted and pocketed tips. And I would never “tattle” on them. But they could lose their jobs over it if caught.

and (back to #1, you aren’t even tipping the worker who did the bulk of the work… shopping for your dozen items. Only the person who walked it to your car. You might feel that tipping is due, but I’d say you neglected to tip the right person.

and (back to #1, you aren’t even tipping the worker who did the bulk of the work… shopping for your dozen items. Only the person who walked it to your car. You might feel that tipping is due, but I’d say you neglected to tip the right person.
I considered that, it made we wonder how tipping would even work. Good to know Target's rule on tipping. It might be nice if they made it an option on orders, though, something that could be shared.

That could get the person you tipped fired at Walmart.
That is their fault for ACCEPTING the tip, not for the person offering the tip.

I worked at McDonalds as a teenager, no tips allowed. I worked birthday parties and I had people wanting to tip me & I had to refuse. One afternoon the mom went to the manager and said that they wanted to leave me a tip but I had refused. The manager said okay and I was allowed to accept tips for Birthday parties after that.

It's probably prudent for people to actually make sure tipping is allowed for non-traditional tipping places. Walmart isn't a place one tips or would even think to tip and just because it's a grocery pickup curbside doesn't automatically make it a tippable situation. People think they are doing well but it can be awkward I'm sure for those grocery pick up people to be offered a tip if it's not their company's policy to allow for that. Your big box stores aren't the same as other places and a lot of places started really ramping up curbside during covid. You don't tip the Home Depot employee for bringing your order out to you nor should you it's not a traditional tippable position and is against company policy anyhow.

Tip your Chili's to go order sure but don't go tipping everyone and anyone just by it being curbside because chances are the employees can't accept tips (or it's against policy to do so and if accepted they could get in trouble)

I have never used Walmart or Target for curbside pick up. Now I know not to tip if I do. I do use a supermarket that says no tips. Sometimes we offer anyway, and they usually refuse.

For restaurant food, it depends on the size of the order (like I might pick up food to bring into work for everyone which would be a big order) I might add $10. Normal orders for us, maybe $5. They aren’t serving it, but I know they still took time to put it together correctly. Most restaurants do accept tips, gladly. They even solicited them, during Covid lockdown.

Seems these days we are no longer tipping for "service" but because we are supposed to.

Went to a restaurant over the weekend. You seated yourself. Scanned a QR code to order & pay. A server/food runner brought the food to the table. No one ever came to check on you or ask how your food was. I tipped as I normally would have but what was I really tipping for?

Seems these days we are no longer tipping for "service" but because we are supposed to.

Went to a restaurant over the weekend. You seated yourself. Scanned a QR code to order & pay. A server/food runner brought the food to the table. No one ever came to check on you or ask how your food was. I tipped as I normally would have but what was I really tipping for?
Unfortunately, I don’t think their pay has changed, at least where we are. They make so little without tips. I figure I’m helping keep the restaurant open, if nothing else.

I believe here in California servers don't have a reduced wage.
That makes it a little trickier, then. What do they make hourly there?

Not positive, but here in MA they make just $6 by some reports.

https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/massachusetts-waitress-salary-SRCH_IL.0,13_IS3399_KO14,22.htm

Yes, looks like “tipped employees’” minimum wage is just $5.55/hr. Which seems nuts.

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/massachusetts-law-about-minimum-wage

I don’t know how it works in other states.

Unfortunately, I don’t think their pay has changed, at least where we are. They make so little without tips. I figure I’m helping keep the restaurant open, if nothing else.

I do understand tips are a huge part of a servers wages, even in California (and other states) where they receive full minimum wage (currently $14.00/hr). I was just noting that the "service" we were always tipping for before, has been eliminated, in a lot of places.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter