Do you tip the restaurant when you pick up the food yourself?

My general rule is 10% for takeout, 20% for dine in. It just makes life less stressful.

I dont tip on carry out or at fast food. On disney property for table service, I tip based on normal priced meal price, not Disney's inflated price. example disney $55 buffet i tip based on comprable $20 buffet off property.

If you want to pay $20 for the meal, go to a place that serves a $20 buffet. That's like saying you don't want to tip on a $20 burger at a steakhouse because you can get one for $6 at Five Guys.

Unreal.

I tip 10% on take out when we are ordering multiple items that need to be packaged individually- like at a Mexican restaurant where they are bagging chips, putting salsa in containers, separating out the refried beans from the rest of the meal, etc. Or at Wildflower where everything is packaged individually and placed neatly in a bag. The hard reality here is that the people packaging to go items are not usually the servers- they are kitchen employees- and probably see none of this tip. If they are just throwing a pizza in a box and taking payment no way I am tipping. A tip is for effort/good service- putting a pizza in a box and handing it to me doesn't qualify.

For table service a minimum of 20% pre tax, since the server isn't serving me tax. DW used to wait tables, so for exceptional service we will often do 25-30%.

Buffets are 10-15% everywhere except Disney since they add in the gratuity there.

Last edited:
I don’t tip for fast food take out ..at home. We be always been good tippers and during Covid we tipped Xtra.
at Disney…sit down will be our typical way of tipping but counter service? Never thought about it, but I’d say no tip likely.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter