Do You Trust the Media?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The free press is a vital part of our democracy. So, yes, I support the free press, and I choose multiple news sources who practice good journalism and support them with my $$$ by subscribing. When I hear people diss the media, it makes me angry, particularly when it comes to politicians who do that. Without the free press, we'd never have known about Watergate, for example. If our free press goes away, so does our democracy. There's a very, very important reason for the 1st Amendment to our Constitution, and that includes why it was first....

I think there's a big difference between not believing in having free press & not fully trusting that which the free press produces.

Sadly, I believe many in the press are inherently biased and deceptive in their coverage, and many are simply incompetent - reporting soundbites rather than reporting facts. Instead of reporting "HB-12345 will do this", we get, "according to senator blowhard, HB-12345 will do this". It may not be a lie, but it's dishonest all the same.

And yes, I've had my issues with the media for years. We had a drinking game in college based on Dan Rather untruths. We had to shut down the game because we decided we'd all rather live.

Oh I know. Every snowstorm here is the blizzard of the century. Every rainstorm is a Nor'easter.
Are the forecasters as overwrought over weather in other areas as they are in the Philadelphia viewing area? I've often wondered...

The woman who died in Charlottesville, funny that they didn’t run the picture of her in her black outfit, with a pack of cigarettes in her hand and didn’t report she died of heart attack. Yet they run a picture of her taken 30 years before. Why didn’t they show what she looked like on the day she died?

Is the media supposed to decide if Heather Heyer would have had the heart attack if she wasn't run over by a Neo Nazi?

I don't want to get into specific instances, but just to give you two quick possible answers:
* That's the picture her family gave the media
* The media didn't have access to the one in her "black outfit"

I’ve seen the picture of her in her black outfit. It is on the internet.

Is the media supposed to decide if Heather Heyer would have had the heart attack if she wasn't run over by a Neo Nazi?

You're wasting your time. People who buy into conspiracy theories and all that nonsense will never understand that they are wrong, that they are buying into the very thing the complain about. They'll talk about the biased media and blah blah blah but it's just that they don't understand how to actually think rationally about something. They just want to believe they are smarter and see things more clearly than everyone else.

Last edited:

Did you see her hit by the car in the video? I am not saying that the media should have known at that point but when the doctors said that she died of a heart attack and not injuries suffered from being hit by a car I think it should have been reported. I know about the over 300 Somalis that were killed by a bomb. I learned it at 1 this morning, by a site that wouldn’t be considered main stream media.

Your wasting your time. People who buy into conspiracy theories and all that nonsense will never understand that they are wrong, that they are buying into the very thing the complain about. They'll talk about the biased media and blah blah blah but it's just that they don't understand how to actually think rationally about something. They just want to believe they are smarter and see things more clearly than everyone else.

What conspiracies that you think I believe, answer it and you would be dead wrong.

I am not sure what exactly you are trying to discuss with me in your replies. A news story is supposed to give me a context of what is happening in what they are reporting to the best of their ability. I’m not going to say that mistakes don’t happen, but deliberately not reporting a fact, could lead to unnecessary violence. The woman who died in Charlottesville, funny that they didn’t run the picture of her in her black outfit, with a pack of cigarettes in her hand and didn’t report she died of heart attack. Yet they run a picture of her taken 30 years before. Why didn’t they show what she looked like on the day she died?

What the heck does a picture of woman dressed in black holding cigarettes have to do with the murder of an innocent woman rightfully and peacefully protesting?

What the heck does a picture of woman dressed in black holding cigarettes have to do with the murder of an innocent woman rightfully and peacefully protesting?

Because there is no video of her getting hit by the car and she is overweight, smoking and it was very hot in Charlottesville. I won’t go into if it was peaceful or not.

uh oh... I like to wear a lot of black (it is slimming and goes with everything ), I did smoke cigarettes too, but that was a long time ago, last time I quit was over 12 years ago, so maybe I am safe from being labeled an obvious threat...

I don't trust the media. I hate having to go through site after site trying to piece together facts. Just give me the facts. I do not care about your opinion.

I trust the media if it's a straight forward story (burglary etc) however I do believe that reporters are hired due to their stances coinciding with their employers and their stories lean that way. It seems as if the "editor opinion" section from bygone days is now entwined with regular reporting.

uh oh... I like to wear a lot of black (it is slimming and goes with everything ), I did smoke cigarettes too, but that was a long time ago, last time I quit was over 12 years ago, so maybe I am safe from being labeled an obvious threat...

It describes me as well, including used to smoke :crazy2: many years ago but always loved the black and can't see that changing anytime soon.

Oh, so she was overweight and a smoker on a hot day she deserved to get run over by a murderer while protesting? Makes totally sense. :sad2:

Again, there is video of the incident, show me where she got hit by the car? I have seen the video and I don’t see where she got hit. I saw a man get hit, I saw the Antifa group that she was part of hitting the car and others with bats. Saw the broken car windows but never saw her get hit.

Oh, so she was overweight and a smoker on a hot day she deserved to get run over by a murderer while protesting? Makes totally sense. :sad2:

sadly I believe that the Elka is disputing that she was actually run over, I think the insinuation is that the heart attack was brought on by being overweight, smoking while wearing black on a hot day, and that her death was not related to the car. Please correct me if I am wrong ELKA.

Because there is no video of her getting hit by the car and she is overweight, smoking and it was very hot in Charlottesville. I won’t go into if it was peaceful or not.

Sigh .... so all those people in Charlotesville who were injured and photographed being hit by the car do not exist? Or they are lying? Or are they paid stunt actors?

SMH

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter