Do you understand your spouse's job?

Yup.
Worked together for 2 years before we started dating, then for 2 years after we started dating.
Worked together the first 7 years we were married.
I moved to a different company, but we have worked in the same industry in the same city for 40+ years.
Our situation is somewhat similar in that we are, and have always been, in the same industry. We actually met through our work. I understand everything there is to know about his past and present roles.

I do understand what my husband does for the most part. I'm a pretty good listener. I'm glad he does what he does but even more glad it isn't my job. It would stress me out and it isn't in my wheelhouse.

My DW is a Senior Regulatory Advisor and I have no idea what she does. I mean, she's told me what she does but I just don't understand.

I understand what he does. I don't know how he does it, because I don't know the software he uses, or any regulations. I could learn it, but he's been doing this for...jeez, over 35 years...and he is very very good at his job.

He understands what I do (and did). What I did, he did too, while in college, but at a lower level than I attained. What I do now, he could do, but he wouldn't be happy at all. Being a housewife doesn't appeal to him at all. LOL

DH is semi-retired. He's a business consultant. I don't know exactly what he does on each project he gets involved with.

No. Not at all. He’s an OP/Tech/Mech which translates into a guy who makes power. Not those service guys you see, he makes the actual power. You would think after 30+years of hearing about it in detail I could roll up to the Power Plant and run the place myself but, nope.

My dh is the lead engineer at his job and he does so much that I only know some of what he does. I don't understand much of what he does,

Last edited:
He's technically categorized as a mechnical engineer (with an aerospace engineering degree).

His district builds and retrofits power plants but that's about all I've been able to understand...oh and pipes lots and lots of pipes, condensors a tad but yeah not a whole lot.

It's a lot of technical jargon that I try to follow along as much as I can when he talks about it but it was like that when I worked in insurance. Most of the insurance biz talk went right over his head too.

I have the general concept of what he does, but i don't understand EXACTLY what he does. I just let him complain when he needs to and try to understand the best I can.

I am pretty clueless. I only know some words and terms as I have helped typed and proofread some things.

People always say oh I googled your dh, he is so smart.

I understand it generally. I don't usually ask many questions because he's more than happy to spend an hour explaining all the little boring details.

About 50/50. He can usually explain things so that I'll understand, but there's a lot that goes over my head. I could probably learn it given enough time.
He understands most of what I do as a nurse, but says he could never do it. lol.

The only thing I understand about DS's job is he repairs the electrical parts of jets. DH understands this job pretty well when DS's sharing some story or detail.
Our daughter is working as a research assistant in college, majoring in chemistry. We can just barely comprehend about ten percent of what she tries to explain to us. lol.

Yes I understand what he does, and everything that goes with it... I met him when I was working for the same company... which is good for us... as I know how everything works, office politics, and all that stuff....

I know what DH does and can explain it in moderate detail even though it isn't my wheelhouse and I definitely couldn't do his job. DH knows my job title, and about 10% of what I do, he can talk in broad general terms about things I'm responsible for and occasionally will ask me for advice if he remembers I have experience in something, but it's always entertaining to listen to him try to tell people what I do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter