• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you use blow up mattresses?

DawnM

DIS Veteran
We are taking a 3 week trip. Even the 2 bedroom places have two queens (one in each bedroom) and a queen pull out sofa.

The boys (teens) don't want to share beds and I get it, but they will need to take turns sleeping on the floor.

We are thinking of taking blow up mattresses. We have an air pump and one that we haven't used before and we plan to try it out before we go. We may get another.

We have several camp ones but those aren't really nice enough for a hard floor.

I really don't want the expensive ones, are the cheaper ones good enough?

I have slept on a couple of them where I ended up on the floor by 3am, so I am just curious.

My son may be using those when he comes home from college since he'll be taking his bed in August and I don't want to buy another bed just for when he comes home for a few days at Thanksgiving, Christmas, and spring break. Plus maybe one other weekend.

I've been looking at the Aerobed ones for him. He said he'd discuss it with us when he comes home for a week at the end of July. Our issue is cats - we'd have to make sure the cats don't get anywhere near it. And my son's comfort with it. LOL

My son may be using those when he comes home from college since he'll be taking his bed in August and I don't want to buy another bed just for when he comes home for a few days at Thanksgiving, Christmas, and spring break. Plus maybe one other weekend.

I've been looking at the Aerobed ones for him. He said he'd discuss it with us when he comes home for a week at the end of July. Our issue is cats - we'd have to make sure the cats don't get anywhere near it. And my son's comfort with it. LOL
Hope this isn't TMI, but DH and I plus our beagle boy would share the Aerobed on family trips. They are pretty darn sturdy. I don't think you have to worry about a cat clawing it. If so, can you just keep cat out of room?

We have 4 kids and have used air mattresses for trips for years. I think they're Ozark Trail brand with electric pump. They've lasted a long time and when they do get a leak, we get a new one.

We bought an intex one on amazon for $23. It has a built in electric pump, super easy to take up and down. My DD21 usually sleeps on it, but this vacation my son slept on the sofa sleeper all week and said it was actually comfortable.

We've had good luck with them. My tip is that I always get COLD from the air mattress. I put a blanket underneath my sleeping bag or bedding and then it's fine.

As a 40-year backpacker I have several backpacking style inflatable singles and a queen size inflatable like people use for house guests. The only one of the smaller mattresses I can recommend is the Klymit Static V. I slept comfortably on it in the hospital for several nights on multiple trips when my father was dying and it fits nicely between the two queen beds in most hotels when we are traveling. It's inflates easily by mouth and is small enough to fit in the front pocket of my carry-on.

We also have a Coleman folding cot with foam mattress that we bought at Walmart that my wife slept comfortably on for several night while my daughter was in the hospital in case you want something off the ground and have room to pack it.

Hope this isn't TMI, but DH and I plus our beagle boy would share the Aerobed on family trips. They are pretty darn sturdy. I don't think you have to worry about a cat clawing it. If so, can you just keep cat out of room?

We can definitely keep the cat out of the room. We keep the door closed when my son is away at college so the cat never goes in then. My son would just have to be viligant about keeping it closed when he's home.

Yes, this is a road trip. We are staying in a few different places, so something small the compact is in order.

We can definitely keep the cat out of the room. We keep the door closed when my son is away at college so the cat never goes in then. My son would just have to be viligant about keeping it closed when he's home.
Unless your cat is a furniture scratcher, just trim his nails and I doubt he would puncture it

We had an Aerobed for travel. It worked great. Until it didn't. One night it just lost air. It was the last night of our trip(to a friends house) so no big deal. If we were staying longer we would have needed to come up with plan B which might have meant a trip to Cabelas or Dick's Sporting Good. To be fair, the Aerobed lasted for years, but at a Disney park, I wouldn't want to make up plan B on the spot.

We have a Coleman brand that came with an electric air pump. It's come on many trips with us. I have one boy and one girl and they are seven years apart in age.... bed sharing was never ideal. Neither has ever complained about the comfort. My kids are 20 and 13 and they took turns using it just this past thanksgiving when we went away. I think ours is the Coleman Quickbed. Price is reasonable and I highly recommend it.

We used several air mattresses over the years and our kids got to hate them.
They would rather sleep straight on the floor....until we bought a Japanese floor mat. (It's sometimes called a Tatami or floor futon.) It's a bit bulkier than an air mattress--like a large sleeping bag rolled up, but it is awesome. I'd be happy to sleep on it. They are available in several sizes from Amazon and you don't have to worry about them losing air.

I don't enjoy sharing an air mattress with anyone. Every time one person rolls over the other gets lifted into the air. When I first moved here and was single I slept on an Intex for months no problem. We have a memory foam topper the kids sometimes use alone on the floor which sounds similar to your Japanese floor mats. Like you said it takes up a lot of room in the car. The three of us coming to WDW in an eight passenger van, however, leaves plenty of room so we may bring it in case the hotel bed needs a topper.

I always try to get beds for everyone these days. But often it doesn't quite work and I have a good twin self blowup that I bring along when needed. I don't trust hydabeds to be comfortable, so bring this as a backup if it is one of the sleep option. I think ours is an aerobed and it's one of those higher twins too.

We bought an intex one on amazon for $23. It has a built in electric pump, super easy to take up and down. My DD21 usually sleeps on it, but this vacation my son slept on the sofa sleeper all week and said it was actually comfortable.

I bough this same one for out of town guests. It got rave reviews and remains inflated for at least a week without having to refill.

I slept on an Aerobed on weekends for a year while we remodeled out upstairs (new flooring, paint, light fixtures etc). I like that you can adjust firmness by the amount of air. We did have a foam pad on it but for a vacation, you don't need it really. It comes with both an electric and battery operated inflator and fits in a bag. It's queen size so it's a bigger bag. A twin would use up less space.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter