Do your kids have to order off the kids

Do your kids order off the kids menu?

• Only the kids menu

• Adult menu

• Whatever they want

• We don't eat out

Results are only viewable after voting.
It depends!!!!

DD is usually handed a kid's menu even when she's over the age!!! We were just at the Rainforest Cafe, the age on the kid's menu was 12. She's 13. She'll be 14 in March. For that matter we have been at Colonial which kid's menu are up to age 10 and have been known to ask if we want one for her.

She usually asks if she can order off the adult menu but if they hand us a kid's menu, she will see if the exact same thing is on it because it usually *does* come with a dessert that way.

As for my boys, they pretty much are still on the kid's menus because that is the food they like. They have never asked to order off the adult menu.

I never really gave it a thought, we just try to get what the kids will eat. I pretty much let them decide. Occassionally we will let them have the Root Beer especially the 10 year old. I don't like to do that though when it's in bottles because then it's not free refills.

DD has been ordering from whatever she wants since she was old enough to pick what she wanted to eat...about 2 years old. She's never been a fan of kids menus.

We've always just asked for half-plates of the regular entrees or taken the left overs home.

DD orders what she wants. Always has. A lot of places, she orders a salad before her meal. Sometimes she chooses the kids mac and cheese. But other times she will order buffalo wings with her salad. She knows what she wants and what she is hungry for.

The poll needs a 'depends' option.

DS will be 10 this year. So, while he is '12&under' he is not a little kid anymore.

Many times it is obvious that he would be happy ordering off the kids menu. But, many times, the only sensible option is to let him order from the regular menu. (He would not want to order the most expensive items anyhow. Nor would we let him.)

He likes pasta, so at Captain D's, where the kids menu is one little piece of fish/chicken and some greasy fries, we let him order a Past Bowl.

It depends on what the options are at that particular restaurant.

ours order off the kid menu. We usually get 2 "dinners" for the 3 of them to share. Its more than enough food and we usually bring some home. They each do get their own drink, and sometimes desert.

I am in the "it depends" category with my 4 year old.

We are not really keen to have her just eat chicken tenders & chips - so if there is something good like pasta with tomato or cream sauce she will be into that.

This kid also like seafood and will steal our fish, prawns (large shrimp), mussels or calimari. So if something like that is on the menu I might order that and finish off what she does not eat. Other times I might order a shrimp cocktail for her without the dressing - that satisfies her protein needs and then anything else she eats is a bonus.

It gets a bit tiresome to sit down to a plate of fish only to have this little bird asking for (stealing) all of the good stuff.

Typically she orders off the adult. Her current food of choice is a chicken caesar salad.

None of your choices fit us. It varies greatly, depending on where we are, and what the kids are in a mood for.

Sometimes my 12 Y.O. can order off the kids menu, but not so much anymore. Often the adult meals are too huge, and I split w/ her. Sometimes she can eat it by herself. Sometimes she orders an appetizer as her meal, along w/ a side salad.

My 9 Y.O. can usually order off the kids, unless we go out for seafood. She hates popcorn shrimp, and often that is all there is on the kids menu for seafood. But she often prefers a salad w/ her meal too, but doesn't want to give up the potato, or vegies (she loves brocolli, and california mix). At some restaurants adding a side salad can be $5.00, so it is more cost effective to just go ahead and order the adult meal, and take home leftovers.

I wish they could still order off the kids menu---Going out to eat is WAY too expensive these days.

What they want.
Most of the time the "kid's menu" is grilled cheese, nuggets, burger, etc....My kids don't eat that kind of food.

DS 9 is a big eater and usually the stuff on the kids menu isn't enough for him so he'll order off of the adult menu. He's 5 ft 2 and weighs 100 lbs at 9 years old, so I guess he's the size of some adults and should be able to eat enough to fill him up lol. Last week I told him we could stop at McDonalds after his basketball game as a treat. We haven't been there in MONTHS, but he's always ordered a Happy Meal. He surprised me by ordering a "regular" meal. He said he's too old for the toys now :goodvibes

My kids are little, but my big girl (4 is a couple weeks, *sniff sniff*) is an adventurous eater. I was as well as a child. I would not "limit" her to children's menu choices if she wanted something off of the adult menu.

One of our favorite family seafood places, my dad offered her some of his mussels some time when she was 2...now when we even pull into the parking lot she starts clamoring about getting mussels for dinner...she devours them every time.

If its something pricey, we'll share...but I'd much rather pay more for a healthier option than have her eating chicken at every place we go.

My daughters are 11 now but they started ordering off the adult menu 5 or 6 years ago if they wanted to. Unfortunately their favorites are expensive cuts of meat, filet and prime rib at the top of that list. There are usually leftovers and they love taking them home for lunch or dinner the next day. Normally if they want a cheeseburger and there is a child's cheeseburger they will order that instead of the full sized alternative. But one place we go to regularly serves the exact same cheeseburger whether you order it off the kids menu or the regular menu. It is 4 dollars cheaper on the kids menu. A couple of times I have switched burgers with them because theirs was bigger. :lmao:

When we take my DGD, 6 YO, out to eat she can have whatever she wants. Most times she chooses the children's menu, but if there is a steak that she would like we tell her in case she wants it.

And, that's what dining out with Grandma should be:thumbsup2

Our kids are 12 (almost 13) and 15, they order off the adult menu. DS12 will sometimes order off the kids menu but he isn't a big eater DD12 and DS15 are at that endless pit stage and eat pretty much all the time.

I'm cheap. I explain to them, that the money we save, by them eating off of the kids menu, can be put towards another meal out.

I too, eat off of the kids menu, so, at least I'm being equal.

No kids, but I wanted to chime in that I eat off the kids menu sometimes. Some restaurants have ridiculously giant portion sizes...

I always read the kids menu to my son (6 years old) and about 90% of the time he orders from it, but sometimes they don't have what he is in the mood for and we let him order from the adult menu. Sometimes I split something with him, as neither of us can finish the usual adult entree at most restaurants.

We let our DD8 get what she wants as long as it's not just a hot fudge sundae :rotfl: . She usually orders off the kids menu or we ask for something special for her like buttered noodles if there's nothing she likes. She actually doesn't like most kiddie food like mac & cheese or pizza so it can be tough at times.

dd4 orders off kids menu. dd12 sometimes kids menu, sometimes adult menu, and sometimes appetizer.

My DD9 doesn't like 99% of what's on most childrens' menus. She has always been an adventurous eater (and a healthy one), so we let her get what she wants. Her current faves-
sushi
broiled fish
Caesar salad
Thai food, especially mee krob
Moroccan food
zucchini
bruscetta (anything with fresh tomato, really)
fresh fruit
anything with Brie or Feta cheese on it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter