doc-why HHI

jcodespoti

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.
Doc,

Just curios why do you like HHI so much? I might like to take a trip down one of these days any pointers I could use? (this is open to anyone who likes HHI).

Joe In CT

We've been going to HH for almost 20 years now and just love the ambiance which has been created there.

The island has been very carefully developed with strict building codes and ordinances. You will not see billboards or neon on the island. Earth tone colors are the norm for buildings (DVC somehow snuck in some red roofs!).

Greenspace has been incorporated into the property codes so the island has a very forested feel to the landscape. The shops and dining options are quite plentiful with something for everyone. The activities are all centered around ocean, golf and tennis (plus shopping and dining!), which also brings a very family oriented atmosphere to the area.

There is a history to the area, which is interesting to research and explore. There is truly something for all tastes available.

We enjoy the relaxing attitude which permeates the area - which is enhanced by the opportunities for quiet walks on the beach and in wooded areas, plus bike riding in the same areas.

I'll stop rambling here, but suffice it to say that Hilton Head offers an opportunity for family enjoyment, serenity and a variety of activities to stimulate and occupy all of our time- if desired.

See you there! ;)

Doc - what a great response!! So eloquently put and so absolutely true... HHI has something for everyone, plus the calm, relaxed atmosphere which makes for a truly rejuvenated spirit! We are so happy our add on was HH.. 9/2 can't come quick enough!! :sunny: :wave:

We have never been to Hilton Head before this trip.

I had heard a lot about it. We bought at OKW this year and decided that the cruise and WDW in one summer would be too much.

So, we decided to wiatlist for HHI and lucked out with a 2 br this past week.

We loved it. It is my idea of the perfect resort - tucked away, terrific ambience, off the beaten path, great views of pristine natural habitat - and a beach nearby to boot.

We live in Maryland and do not prefer the total commercialization of Ocean City, MD or a lot of Virginia Beach.

This was it.

Unlike Doc, we found Hilton Head because of Disney. He is right. The commericial developments are off the main road. The signs are small and on the ground - no billboards.

As I mentioned before, it reminds me of Fort Wilderness but in a much more intimate way.

It is a great resort and a great island.

GO!

We own at HHI.

One word: Relaxation!

It is so peaceful there. Many activities, but we are usually back in the room early. I usually read a book during a stay. Can't say that for our DVC WDW trips.

One other thing: We go to HHI in the Summer. It would be next to impossible to book there without the 11 month window. There are now 3, soon to be 5 DVC resorts at WDW. It is much easier to get a ressie there at the 7 month window.

Next week at this time we will be at HH!
I am ready to start packing!
This will be our tenth trip to HH!

:earsboy: Linda :earsgirl:

My wife and three children just returned from a 7 night trip to HHI. I had high expectations after hearing a great deal about the island from others who had visited there previously. Well, my expectations were surpassed. I should point out that we had excellent weather - better than usual is what I was told by the "locals". Even so, it was a very enjoyable trip and one that is likely to be made annually!

I will point out, however, that we stayed at the Marriott Vacation Club at Barony Beach the first three nights and also visited their other resort at Grand Ocean. In my humble opinion, both surpassed Disney's property (where we stayed for the remaining 4 nights/5 days) in several ways. First, the number and quality of the pools. Disney has one at the resort and one at the beach. Both are rather small and can become filled easily. The slide is a bonus, howver. The Marriott properties have much larger and overall, nicer pools. The other issue is the that the Disney property is not on the ocean. The beach at HHI is excellent and is a real draw. However, having to take a shuttle or car back and forth can, and does, become a real drag. The pool house is nice but the food is very expensive and of poor quality (I felt like I was back in MK!). The rooms were different in style but comperable in quality and size. I would not hesitate to return to the Disney resort at HHI but, given the choice, would elect to stay at one of the Marriott's instead.

My first stay at HH was this past May. I had extra points to use up and selected HH for something different.

I was so happy with my HH vacation. Within two days I was very relaxed. The island offered lots to do without all the craziness you find in other places (like Orlando). I went as a solo but felt very comfortable and safe. Both the HH CM's and the locals were friendly and helpful.

The beach was great and the water was warm ... at least for a New Englander! ;) Then there was the FOOD! OMG, I ate like a pig all week. Then, did lots of biking and kayaking to work it off.

I wouldn't hestitate to go back again. This time I'm playing tennis all week at Palmetto Dunes. :)

A Note BostonFamily: As a Marriott owner, I want to say thanks for the kind remarks about the HH resorts. However, you have totally added to my frustration. Ironically, my wife and I just returned from 2 nights at DVC HH followed by a night at the Mariott Hotel on HH (a dump right now until the remodeling is complete at which time it should be beautiful.) We stayed at Grande Ocean 5 years ago and bookended our trip at DVC. We loved DVC. So, when we were down there this time. we checked in to ownership. To be fair, we thought we should look at Barony Beach. WOW! Having said that, let me add that there are some advantages to the DVC program Marriott does not offer. First and foremost is the flexibility. On our way home, I did some calculations and was surprised to learn that Barony is the less expensive choice for a full week in the summer (at $65 a point for DVC w/o considering DVC's very high dues.) Still, if we stayed only Sunday-Thursday, we could get a nice stay at DVC for the price of an off-season week at Barony. Even though I'm very happy with Marriott, I think belonging to both programs would be great. Then, I come on these boards to get some questions and see a DVC owner complimenting Marriott. Now, I'm totally confused as to which one we may purchase at the end of the year. Oh well, I guess there are worse decisions I could be forced to make.

Stlrod, I don't think it's that difficult a decision. If your travel plans are to include returning to Orlando on a regular basis, say every other year or more often, then DVC is the way to go. However, if you really like HHI and plan to return their frequently, then I would personally purchase at one of the Marriott resorts (actually, I would only consider Barony or Grand Ocean as the others have poor locations in my opinion). As we have young children, we are planning on hanging on to our DVC points. I will point out, however, that my wife is pushing hard for the 2nd timeshare purchase at one of above resorts as well!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter