Doc yelled at me, time to get back to the gym!

As a tip, if your doctor didn't bring it up and to save you from possible frustration, exercise delivers many health benefits but weight loss tends to not be one of them. Diet is a key to loosing the pounds. I thought this a nice editorial by Dr Aseem Malhotra on that.

“Take Off that Fitbit. Exercise Alone Won’t Make You Lose Weight.”

http://www.dietdoctor.com/take-off-that-fitbit-exercise-alone-wont-make-you-lose-weight
Also true. I used to maintain weight through exercise. Once I hit forty it was not enough. I also had to start watching food intake. That was hard to come to terms with but I've made my peace with it. I still have the occasional treat but exercise alone doesn't allow me to eat anything on want.

You can still enjoy your mom's wonderful cooking, just in smaller portions. Eat a large salad (lemon only, no dressing) with a small portion of pasta (maybe 1/3 cup) or lasagna (size of a deck of cards). You'll get use to eating that way soon. Also, you won't lose control because you are still eating what you love.

Skip any bread at mom's. If there aren't enough veggies, bring some. We eat broccoli with almost every meal. It's full of fiber and helps fill you up. It's also delicious roasted in the oven!

I've never understood the Italian excuse. I have a friend whose mother is Italian and she uses that line all the time. I've been to Italy 3 times. Most people look like supermodels.

You are lucky that your doctor cares enough to address the problem. Google different sites like My Fitness Pal etc for inspiration. If you don't like the gym there are many videos you can pop into your dvd so you can exercise in the comfort of your own home.

Good luck. Once you start and see the results you will feel amazing.

<<<Italian here and I understand "it" but don't use it. The OP is probably saying that Italians cook a lot of pasta and sauce. And I have been home to Italy several times and see no super skinny people. They do have some meat on their bones, not fat but not skinny either. Italians in Italy make everything from scratch and there is a huge difference in the quality of the food.

OP: I used to do MFP and started Weight Watchers. MFP is free but I like the personal attention that WW gives me. I attend a meeting early morning every Saturday. I have been going for a year and am down 72 pounds. I have 3 more pounds to lose to hit my next goal. Right now I can't do much exercise as I want because of my knees but I still and try to do something. I walk a lot and go to the gym to use the bike and weight machines.

Good Luck:)

I've never understood the Italian excuse. I have a friend whose mother is Italian and she uses that line all the time. I've been to Italy 3 times. Most people look like supermodels.

You are lucky that your doctor cares enough to address the problem. Google different sites like My Fitness Pal etc for inspiration. If you don't like the gym there are many videos you can pop into your dvd so you can exercise in the comfort of your own home.

Good luck. Once you start and see the results you will feel amazing.
Yea...Ummm...I lived in Italy for 3 years. Regular neighborhood, normal folks. Not a touristy area. Italians come in all shapes and sizes. Always have, always will.
I think there might be better ways for a Dr and client/patient to work together, as a team, but that's me. Reasonable goal setting, small steps, gradually changing habits in a positive way seems more helpful than yelling.

What's all the hate on oils? I still believe some oils is small quantities are good or at least not bad for you. I cook with and use small amounts in my salad dressings etc. I will use olive, coconut, grapes, avocado, walnut oil and never had any weight issues.

I'm not sure either. Some oils, in small amounts are very good for you. I think some people can go overboard with them though.

Additionally, I've always been told that if you eat some big salad (as described above), you need to put a little fat in so the nutrients absorb properly. That can be in the form of the oil in your dressing or with some chopped up avocado or egg.

As a tip, if your doctor didn't bring it up and to save you from possible frustration, exercise delivers many health benefits but weight loss tends to not be one of them. Diet is a key to loosing the pounds. I thought this a nice editorial by Dr Aseem Malhotra on that.

“Take Off that Fitbit. Exercise Alone Won’t Make You Lose Weight.”

http://www.dietdoctor.com/take-off-that-fitbit-exercise-alone-wont-make-you-lose-weight

Thanks for the article! My doctor did mention this, we discussed my diet for losing weight and the exercise for general fitness. My lung function is healthy and my resting heart rate was lower than he expected, but he wants both to be further improved. I am most definitely taking a two front approach here.

<<<Italian here and I understand "it" but don't use it. The OP is probably saying that Italians cook a lot of pasta and sauce. And I have been home to Italy several times and see no super skinny people. They do have some meat on their bones, not fat but not skinny either. Italians in Italy make everything from scratch and there is a huge difference in the quality of the food.

Oh it's a totally lame excuse, which is why I looked sheepish when I said it, like I said earlier, I was just trying to deflect some of the embarrassment, we had a good natured laugh about it.

I think there might be better ways for a Dr and client/patient to work together, as a team, but that's me. Reasonable goal setting, small steps, gradually changing habits in a positive way seems more helpful than yelling.

It wasn't literal yelling, it was just very frank, and it involved setting dietary and exercise goals, among discussions of the benefits and risk factors of everything. He was very kind about it, he just didn't leave me any room to hem and haw.

Adam

1) Everything in moderation! Don't "ban" certain foods or certain ingredients. Shoot for healthier, not perfect. Find substitutions that you like, and take it one step at a time.

2) I agree with decreasing portions and adding salads to help yourself feel full with fewer calories.

3) Find the exercise that fits your preferences and schedule. No plan works if sticking to it makes you miserable. (I personally walk or follow videos at home, but I also belong to an on-line group where we set a monthly goal of minutes and cheer each other on. Having to report in to others helps motivate me.)

4) Read labels! Sometimes, things will say "low-fat" but replace it all with sugar. Also, keep an eye on salt. My DH has to do that for heart reasons, and we've found we both dropped a lot of "water weight" just by lowering our salt intake.

Also true. I used to maintain weight through exercise. Once I hit forty it was not enough. I also had to start watching food intake. That was hard to come to terms with but I've made my peace with it. I still have the occasional treat but exercise alone doesn't allow me to eat anything on want.

I am exactly the opposite. I despise exercise and would much rather restrict calories, but by the time I hit 50 I realized I had to start exercising. I've stuck with it for 3 years and have lost 15 pounds, but it is incredibly hard and takes a lot of willpower. I just do it and try not to think about the fact that all I get for an hour of misery is a 300 calorie burn. On the bright side, I really appreaciate my rest days on the weekend and since today is Friday I am DONE until Monday! :)

What's all the hate on oils? I still believe some oils is small quantities are good or at least not bad for you. I cook with and use small amounts in my salad dressings etc. I will use olive, coconut, grapes, avocado, walnut oil and never had any weight issues.

Here is one source:http://www.drfuhrman.com

Olives are grown widely in the geographical region surrounding the Mediterranean Sea, and olive oil was a major source of calories in the traditional dietary patterns of that region, now known collectively as the Mediterranean diet. Populations that followed this style of eating had reduced rates of death from coronary heart disease and certain cancers. Although these health benefits are often attributed to olive oil alone, it is the overall dietary pattern that was health promoting—the prevalence of unrefined plant foods like vegetables, fruits, nuts, beans, and grains and very limited amounts of animal foods.1 Unrefined plant foods provided the bulk of the omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, phytochemicals and minerals in the Mediterranean diet, not olive oil.

All oils promote weight gain
Olive oil is not a whole food—it is a fattening, low-nutrient, processed food, consisting of 100% fat. One tablespoon of olive oil has 120 calories (all oils do). One-quarter cup has 500 calories. Healthy salads are definitely a way of life for people who want to lose weight or improve health. However, many of the benefits of a salad are lost when the calorie count is increased ten-fold with oil.

When fats are ingested in the form of extracted oils, they are rapidly and efficiently absorbed by the body and immediately converted into body fat. If these fats were instead ingested from whole foods, such as seeds, nuts and avocado, their absorption would be much slower, over hours, not minutes and these fats would be mostly burned for our energy needs and not stored. Also, the fibers, sterols and stanols in the seeds and nuts would bind some of the fat in the digestive tract, like a sponge, limiting the amount of fat absorbed by the body; adding nuts and seeds to the diet, despite their calorie density, promotes weight loss and healthy weight maintenance, not weight gain. Plus, we can consume significantly fewer calories and get a much higher micronutrient value from nuts and seeds compared to olive oil—nuts contain about 40-50 calories per tablespoon, compared to olive oil’s 120 calories.

Olive oil is less harmful than animal fat, but not as healthful as nuts and seeds.
Olive oil has been associated with cardiovascular benefit in some studies, however the results have been mixed. A 2014 meta-analysis evaluating observational studies of olive oil consumption reported that olive oil consumption was associated with a decreased risk of stroke but not coronary heart disease.4

Olive oil polyphenols (like the polyphenols from berries and other plant foods) have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activity. Also, because olive oil is rich in monounsaturated fats, using olive oil in place of animal fat or other oils higher in saturated fat reduces total and LDL cholesterol. When olive oil is substituted for animal fats, there is a reduction in risk because you are replacing a more dangerous fat with a less dangerous fat. Olive oil is a better choice than animal products or other vegetable oils, however nuts and seeds are a better choice than olive oil.

Olive oil and nuts were tested side by side in the recent PREDIMED study, which compared three diets: a control low-fat diet, a Mediterranean diet supplemented with olive oil and a Mediterranean diet supplemented with mixed nuts. Both Mediterranean diets reduced blood pressure, fasting glucose levels and total cholesterol after one year.9 After about 5 years of follow-up, both Mediterranean diets provided substantial protection against cardiovascular events compared to the low-fat diet.10 However, when participants were further grouped based on their baseline nut consumption, an important difference emerged. The participants with the lowest risk of death were those that ate three or more servings of nuts a week regularly, and then were assigned to the Mediterranean diet plus nuts group. This study suggests that nuts have a stronger longevity-promoting effect than olive oil.11

Top your salad with nuts and seeds instead of olive oil
Nuts and seeds, are associated with reduced cholesterol levels and dramatic protection against coronary heart disease and sudden cardiac death. Since fats help you absorb the nutrients in vegetables, replacing the olive oil on your salad with nuts and seeds reduces cardiovascular risk and calories absorbed while providing the maximum nutrient value from the salad. In addition to increasing the absorption of nutrients in vegetables, nuts and seeds supply their own spectrum of micronutrients including plant sterols, minerals, and antioxidants. Plus several seeds and nuts (flax, hemp, chia, walnuts) are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, beneficial for heart and brain health. Some seeds—flax, chia and sesame in particular—are rich in lignans, plant estrogens that protect against breast cancer.Nuts and seeds also promote a healthy weight and protect against diabetes. Replacing olive oil-based dressings with vinegar, fruit and nut-based dressings are definitely the way to go. Nuts and seeds, not oil, have shown dramatic protection against heart disease. We need to get more of our fats from these wholesome foods and less from processed oils.

References:

Am I the only one who thought this thread would be about something else entirely? I get in trouble too much... :(

I thought it would turn into something else. Glad to see it has not.

I like going to the gym but have to remember that you can not out work your fork.

Fat helps your body digest food and helps you feel satiated. That it goes straight to your hips is a myth and horribly outdated thinking. Like any other nutrient it's a vital part of a healthy diet. Should we deep fry everything in animal fat? Of course not but a little olive (or insert your healthy fat of choice here) oil is a good thing. I've never heard of this Dr. Fuhrman but since his website wants to sell me lots of things I'm going to stick with current scientific research.

OP, weight loss is literally calories in versus calories out. Eat less and you will lose weight. Making healthier choices about the food you eat will give you leeway to eat a little more (volume wise) than making crappy food choices. There's a saying, "abs are made in the kitchen, fitness is made in the gym." For the most part it is true. You can lose weight strictly by cutting calories and never step foot in a gym. However, excercise makes you feel awesome, helps you maintain lean muscle mass and if you get a really great burn contribute to your calorie deficit or give you more calories to eat.

I've lost and maintained a significant amount of weight twice in my lifetime. The first was a year after oldest Dd was born, 35lbs. I literally just cut my portions in half and got some form of exercise everyday. I maintained that with conscious eating within ten pounds for about years. Then came twins, depression and a whole lot of other stuff. One day I impulsively downloaded the LoseIt app and gave it a go. This time was counting calories, really not much different than simple portion control and easier because I didn't have to think too much, just plugged it in. Lost and maintained a 69 pound losss for going on 6 years now. I eat what I want, just in smaller portions. About half of that loss was with exercise, half not. I find working out gives me more leeway and helps me maintain. If I'm up in weight, a few weeks of diligent tracking brings me right down again.

You say MFP did not work for you, I'm curious what about it did not work. It's a calorie counting app so if you are within your calorie allotment there's no reason why it wouldn't. ( unless you have an underlying medical condition ) Losing weight is pretty much just math and getting your head in the game.

We've pretty much eliminated all processed foods in our house. We do have some exceptions for dd12, but for the most part we've adapted to a more whole foods type of eating.

The Italian comment did make me curious, I'll admit it. We vacationed in Italy in June and the percentage of overweight people in the U.S. seemed way higher to me than in Italy. DH and I actually talked about it when we were there. Is it all the walking or the elimination of processed foods? We ate good while we were there and came home without gaining any weight.

I have a subscription to thefresh20. You might want to check them out. It's a dinner recipe service. I like it because it's a weekly menu built around 20 fresh, wholesome foods. The meals are balanced for sodium fat and nutrients.

We've pretty much eliminated all processed foods in our house. We do have some exceptions for dd12, but for the most part we've adapted to a more whole foods type of eating.

The Italian comment did make me curious, I'll admit it. We vacationed in Italy in June and the percentage of overweight people in the U.S. seemed way higher to me than in Italy. DH and I actually talked about it when we were there. Is it all the walking or the elimination of processed foods? We ate good while we were there and came home without gaining any weight.

I have a subscription to thefresh20. You might want to check them out. It's a dinner recipe service. I like it because it's a weekly menu built around 20 fresh, wholesome foods. The meals are balanced for sodium fat and nutrients.
I think this is key. I feel like these mystery ingredients in packaged food make people fat. Plus you burn calories chopping. ;)

I'm not sure either. Some oils, in small amounts are very good for you. I think some people can go overboard with them though.

Additionally, I've always been told that if you eat some big salad (as described above), you need to put a little fat in so the nutrients absorb properly. That can be in the form of the oil in your dressing or with some chopped up avocado or egg.

In the weight watchers program they recommend at least 2 teaspoons of health oil a day.

Based on those numbers I would guess you are not 6'2" :smooth:

Not even close! 5'4"

Am I the only one who thought this thread would be about something else entirely? I get in trouble too much... :(

I'm confused, what were you expecting it to be about?

You say MFP did not work for you, I'm curious what about it did not work. It's a calorie counting app so if you are within your calorie allotment there's no reason why it wouldn't. ( unless you have an underlying medical condition ) Losing weight is pretty much just math and getting your head in the game.

I eventually lost the discipline to stick to the calorie budget and input things, and it became less and less accurate, which of course I used as an excuse to rationalize not bothering.

Everyone is commenting on that! :D It was just a poor attempt at humor, I didn't mean anything serious by it.

Adam

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter