Doctor Dies From Allergic Reaction After Raglan Road Meal at Disney Springs

No, I didn't resolve it on my own. I managed it, as in I took control of the scene and followed the allergy action plan that is prescribed by our Doctor. I assessed him, I didn't see the respiratory distress that teachers were describing, gave him Benedryl and got him to the ER(we were close enough that calling an ambulance would have taken longer), while waiting he started wheezing, he was admitted immediately and got the full workup, 4-6 healthcare professionals working on him. Steriod IV , Epinephrine, nebulizer, and prescription for Prednisone when we were discharged.

you picked and choose few cases but let's see what they say.

in Sampson, he says
"Symptoms of food anaphylaxis may appear within seconds to a few hours after the food allergen is ingested, with the vast majority developing within the first hour."

I can pick a choose a few cases too
"A man died from an allergic reaction to nuts one hour after eating a slice of takeaway pizza, an inquest has heard."
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-67911589

"An hour and a half after Oakley had consumed the nut, his airways had suddenly closed and his heart stopped."
https://www.today.com/health/after-11-year-old-boy-s-sudden-death-mom-warns-t105529

Both the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease and the World Allergy Organisation would define acute allergy onset to be "minutes to several hours".
https://www.aaaai.org/Aaaai/media/Media-Library-PDFs/Allergist Resources/Statements and Practice Parameters/Anaphylaxis-Practice-Paramaters-2023.pdf

I am being very argumentative about this, I am usually not especially on an internet forum, because you're saying a slow anaphylaxis is less dangerous. Which is completely irrelevant due to the the fact that slower anaphylaxis still can kill. Making assumption and giving this kind of mileading info is dangerous to people.
There is a lot to unpack here, and I will do my best to address it all so I don't leave you hanging. Then I need to go, because this needs to wind down. Sampson is discussing the beginning of anaphylaxis (the initial symptoms) as in when the cascade is triggered. He is not talking about when the EMT is shocking you with the paddles to keep you alive. The concept that the longer it takes from ingestion to INITIAL symptoms generally is a predictor of a better outcome is a concept that is in every allergy and asthma textbook. This is not medical advice. This is a theoretical concept about how the cascade works. This information cannot be applied by anyone except a licensed physician. There are known exceptions such as peanuts and milk, and there are known conditions such as asthma that this concept doesn't apply to. Peanuts have the ability to resist digestive enzymes and the protein can make it to the small intestine without being denatured. Tree nuts do not have this superpower.

the first case died at one hour, but initial symptom was at 5 minutes, and puking began at 15 minutes. Poor little guy, mom ignored the symptoms, we know how it ends.

second case was peanuts, their trickery helps them avoid digestion. Peanuts are notorious for delayed anaphylaxis. The Lady at Disney was allergic to tree nuts.

the last reference is talking about anaphylaxis in general: drugs, bugs, latex, etc. the only thing that I believe is relevant to the discussion is tree nuts because she was loaded to the gills with them.

He states that they left the restaurant at 8pm, she was fit as a fiddle at 8:35pm and then at 8:45pm she entered Planet Hollywood collapsed and died. She did administer epi-pen(s) [it's not clear if a second pen was used]. Giving them time to eat and pay the check, she probably began ingesting food about 7:30pm. I'm stuggling to believe that she walked around for an hour and fifteen minutes pumped full of tree nut antigen feeling like it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

The woman's father stated that he dropped them at the airport the morning of October 5th and then received the call that night that she had passed. Their attorney stated that they specifically chose Disney for its high standards and would not have eaten at the restaurant if they had known it was not Disney. ok ... but the night before the three of them were out at How at the Moon on I drive. [the video is on Instagram] Do they have a time machine, or is grandpa confused? Why wasn't Howl at the Moon held to the same standard as Raglan Road? That place is a zoo on a good night, and I don't think they even have an allergy policy.

anyway, I gotta be done with it. They'll probably settle out of court, and we'll never know what happens so best to move on.

I'm sorry.....you have a 20 year old son you make/pack lunch for every day?
He has full load of 2nd year engineering courses - the reason why I take the time to make the lunches is so that there is no chance of him having to buy lunch on campus.

Question: do you have a child with an allergy that can kill him/her?

I think only parents that have children with these deadly allergies can understand.

There is a lot to unpack here, and I will do my best to address it all so I don't leave you hanging. Then I need to go, because this needs to wind down. Sampson is discussing the beginning of anaphylaxis (the initial symptoms) as in when the cascade is triggered. He is not talking about when the EMT is shocking you with the paddles to keep you alive. The concept that the longer it takes from ingestion to INITIAL symptoms generally is a predictor of a better outcome is a concept that is in every allergy and asthma textbook. This is not medical advice. This is a theoretical concept about how the cascade works. This information cannot be applied by anyone except a licensed physician. There are known exceptions such as peanuts and milk, and there are known conditions such as asthma that this concept doesn't apply to. Peanuts have the ability to resist digestive enzymes and the protein can make it to the small intestine without being denatured. Tree nuts do not have this superpower.

the first case died at one hour, but initial symptom was at 5 minutes, and puking began at 15 minutes. Poor little guy, mom ignored the symptoms, we know how it ends.

second case was peanuts, their trickery helps them avoid digestion. Peanuts are notorious for delayed anaphylaxis. The Lady at Disney was allergic to tree nuts.

the last reference is talking about anaphylaxis in general: drugs, bugs, latex, etc. the only thing that I believe is relevant to the discussion is tree nuts because she was loaded to the gills with them.

He states that they left the restaurant at 8pm, she was fit as a fiddle at 8:35pm and then at 8:45pm she entered Planet Hollywood collapsed and died. She did administer epi-pen(s) [it's not clear if a second pen was used]. Giving them time to eat and pay the check, she probably began ingesting food about 7:30pm. I'm stuggling to believe that she walked around for an hour and fifteen minutes pumped full of tree nut antigen feeling like it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

The woman's father stated that he dropped them at the airport the morning of October 5th and then received the call that night that she had passed. Their attorney stated that they specifically chose Disney for its high standards and would not have eaten at the restaurant if they had known it was not Disney. ok ... but the night before the three of them were out at How at the Moon on I drive. [the video is on Instagram] Do they have a time machine, or is grandpa confused? Why wasn't Howl at the Moon held to the same standard as Raglan Road? That place is a zoo on a good night, and I don't think they even have an allergy policy.

anyway, I gotta be done with it. They'll probably settle out of court, and we'll never know what happens so best to move on.
Everyone reacts differently. There are definitely outliers. Most does not mean all, rarely does not mean never. I don’t think you have access to every single case of deadly anaphylaxis, nor is every case published on the internet.

Again, you're making a lot of assumptions and victim blaming here. But I'm going to point out the most obvious part that shows you don't have all the facts
I'm stuggling to believe that she walked around for an hour and fifteen minutes pumped full of tree nut antigen feeling like it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
from the medical examiner's report,

“anaphylaxis due to elevated levels of dairy and nut in her system,”
She had both, it's not just a nut allergy.

Everyone reacts differently. There are definitely outliers. Most does not mean all, rarely does not mean never. I don’t think you have access to every single case of deadly anaphylaxis, nor is every case published on the internet.
correct, but the subject matter expert that Disney hires will, and that's all that matters. You and I don't matter in this equation, and more likely than not, we will never even know how it is resolved. you have to let it go

He has full load of 2nd year engineering courses - the reason why I take the time to make the lunches is so that there is no chance of him having to buy lunch on campus.

I think only parents that have children with these deadly allergies can understand.
Toesmom, I would do the same thing. Luckily my two sons don't have any food allergies but I would definitely make their lunches to keep them safe as long as they lived in my home. Eventually, he will have to deal with getting safe meals if he goes out to restaurants on his own though.
Personally I am highly allergic to certain hair dye products and it is a terrifying thing to experience.

Again, you're making a lot of assumptions and victim blaming here. But I'm going to point out the most obvious part that shows you don't have all the facts

from the medical examiner's report,

She had both, it's not just a nut allergy.
Sir, with all due respect, the milk makes it worse not better. There is a dosage affect when multiple food allergens are ingested. I knew the milk is there. However, I would be nothing less than an idiot for opening the door on that complex of a conversation here. You are not trying to understand this information, you are just trying to prove me wrong. That's okay, but I'm tired and I don't want to play anymore.

correct, but the subject matter expert that Disney hires will, and that's all that matters. You and I don't matter in this equation, and more likely than not, we will never even know how it is resolved. you have to let it go
Exactly, you’re not an expert despite your repeated theories and discounting of others experiences or opinions.

I'm sorry.....you have a 20 year old son you make/pack lunch for every day?

Heck, my son doesn't have allergies, and I pack his lunch. It has absolutely nothing to do with age, but is a simple function of time. - DH and DS both work full time, and I don't. So I pack all the lunches because I have the most time. It's just more efficient. Please don't judge.

Heck, my son doesn't have allergies, and I pack his lunch. It has absolutely nothing to do with age, but is a simple function of time. - DH and DS both work full time, and I don't. So I pack all the lunches because I have the most time. It's just more efficient. Please don't judge.
It was a question separate from the allergy issue which I am absolutely sympathetic to as I do have a brother who has ended up in the hospital several times from a severe shellfish allergy that evolved. I'm not sure how mom packing lunch from allergy safe items at home protects him more than him packing his own lunch from allergy safe items at home which is why I don't consider it an allergy related issue. I absolutely understand the fears and concerns surrounding eating outside the home and having to trust that the information you are being given is correct and that your allergy is being taken seriously.

I'm sorry that it bothers you that I find it interesting that mom packs her adult child (child in the context of the relationship) lunch every single day. Packing lunch for your DS is absolutely your prerogative and you can do whatever you like and what works for your family. I'm also allowed to have thoughts about it. If I'm being honest, if I was dating a guy at that age and his mom was packing his lunch every day it would give me pause. But I'm literally picturing putting it all together and he just has to grab his lunch bag in the morning. Efficiency or whoever is cleaning up dinner and packing up leftovers can be a great reason to do so. You don't have to justify your choices to me. I'm sure there are things we do in our house that you would think "why?". The poster I was responding to made it sound more like her son wasn't capable. At that age he should certainly be capable of managing his allergy. I'm sorry that this hit a nerve with you and you felt judged. There are plenty of times I pack lunch for me and DH or vice versa. It really was the wording and tone of the post that caught my attention. And at the end of the day it's a message board, if no one talks then it gets real quiet around here.

And I apologize for the thread drift as this has NOTHING to do with allergies or the OP.

Bystander here. I’d suggest it’s time to close this thread down.

My 8 y/o niece has severe allergies to peanuts, tree nuts, all dairy, shellfish, eggs, and a sensitivity to soy. Her peanut and tree nut allergy is so severe that she scored well over 100 for each allergen. This child had not once eaten out due to the severity of her issues. My mother makes all the her meals from scratch, including baking her bread.

I hope one day we’ll be able to take her to WDW, and that she could dine in a restaurant, but I have to say stories, like these make me hesitate to do so. I think we’d better book a dvc room with a full kitchen, bring our own kitchenware, and prepare all our meals in the room.

Better to be safe, right ?
Have you ever looked into professional oral allergy treatment? We are lucky to have a clinic here in Iowa. I believe kids need to be kindergarten-age to start. A good friend of ours has a child who was severely allergic to peanuts. They found out when he was in a high chair at a restaurant and broke out in full-body hives just from coming in contact with leftover peanut butter residue on the tray (it wasn't cleaned well enough). Once he was 5 (ish), he started at a clinic where they literally introduced MICROSCOPIC amounts of the allergen and then slowly increased. The goal is to get kids to the point where they can tolerate exposure of 1 full peanut, and it's a slow process and took a couple of years. However, for many kids, it can end up being life saving. Our friend's kid actually got to the point where he could eat peanuts & peanut products. He's now 14. To maintain this, he has to eat a spoonful of peanut butter every morning. A lot of people around here who have peanut allergies go to this clinic, and it has a pretty high success rate. I'm a teacher at a middle school and teach hundreds of kids each year. In my 6 years here, I have only had ONE student with a high risk peanut allergy because the treatment is so successful for so many.

Bystander here. I’d suggest it’s time to close this thread down.
Mods don’t read every post on DIS. If you see something of concern in order to get a mod’s eyes on it you need to report a post. It will pop up asking why you are reporting and you can explain. A mod will then decide if they should interfere and if so how.

A large collection of opinions here. Medical topics are always so hot button because everyone's body is different and has different reactions, that's why studies use large amounts of test subjects to get a majority result. DD has done blood tests since she was six weeks old and was diagnosed failure to thrive to check for allergens and was always negative. She didn't start to gain weight until we switched to formula and even then it was slow. Several years later and in the full throws of ARFID they finally did an EGD and found swelling and white blood cells in both her throat and stomach. She was diagnosed with EoE and it was clear she had allergies to something but the reaction was contact only so nothing ever showed up on blood tests. We still don't know what she's allergic to as an elimination diet resulted in weight loss and she didn't have any to spare. So her doctor has her on a steroid slurry twice a day to manage any reactions topically basically for the rest of her life unless we figure out what the allergen(s) is(are).

I've had stomach pains my whole life, could never figure it out until it was so debilitating my doctor put me on a low fodmap diet and they ordered all the tests. 6 months of elimination testing showed that I react pretty quickly and badly to wheat (not gluten) with some very mild reactions to things like milk and large amounts of oatmeal (which could be cross contamination with wheat). But blood tests, biopsies, and ultrasounds showed intestinal inflammation but no allergy. So medically I can not say I'm allergic to wheat but I clearly can't eat it. I don't have to worry about my throat closing up thankfully but I do not want 3 days of intestinal pain and discomfort so I always say I need gluten free (since no one seems to understand the difference between gluten and wheat).

DD and I are considered outliers but I see that this type of food sensitives are clearly on the rise in the population. But every time someone asks if we have allergies the answer is 'technically no' but the treatment is still the same, avoidance and symptom management. No one seems to question when someone says they have seasonal allergies, red eyes and sneezing one day but fine the next because pollen levels in the air change, but food allergies always get the side eye which is just frustrating.

All of this to say, if the woman told RR she couldn't eat X and they served it to her anyways (either by mistake or otherwise) they should be held accountable. If she came in contact with something while out in the general public that's unfortunate and tragic but no one is really to blame, whether or not it was on Disney property. There's been an increasing number of recalls it seems on products that failed to list an allergen (usually soy) because it was found there was cross contamination. It's quite possible there was a failure further up the chain in the products that RR was using. But legally that means RR would still be sued and held responsible and it would be on them to sue the food manufacturer.

Last edited:
You have to get a prescription or RX from a doctor. For us, we have good insurance, it's $20 for a set of 2 shots. Also, we typically have to buy 2, one for the school to have and one for us to have.

Last week, we were at a mexican resturant, where we asked for no cheese/queso on taco. First one comes out, cheese on it, second one comes out, cheese on the bottom of the tortila. I went into the kitchen and told them, if he eats cheese, he dies. The third one was delivered by the chef and was clear.
As someone who HATES cheese, but isn't fatally vulnerable to it, I can share the impossibility of getting "no cheese" at points- I don't even bother ordering fast food that normally has cheese on it because it simply will have a slab of it no matter what. Going to restaurants solo they typically do it right, but in a large group? It's almost certainly gonna have some because SOMEBODY will have the wires crossed.

It's gotten to the point where the people eating with me get more offended than I do- "What if you were actually allergic to it?" my friend pointed out when the plate of spaghetti was covered in parmesan.

As someone who HATES cheese, but isn't fatally vulnerable to it, I can share the impossibility of getting "no cheese" at points- I don't even bother ordering fast food that normally has cheese on it because it simply will have a slab of it no matter what. Going to restaurants solo they typically do it right, but in a large group? It's almost certainly gonna have some because SOMEBODY will have the wires crossed.

It's gotten to the point where the people eating with me get more offended than I do- "What if you were actually allergic to it?" my friend pointed out when the plate of spaghetti was covered in parmesan.
Ditto experience for me only with onions. Those nasty little buggers are in everything and often not even listed as an ingredient on the menu. Servers always have to go back to the kitchen to check when I ask if an item has onions in it. And nine times out of ten it will still come out with onions even when the server says that they can leave them out. If I was fatally allergic I would have been dead many times over.

But Epi-pens expire. That’s why my mom (allergic to bees/wasps, and sulfur based drugs) and I (anaphylactic reaction to penicillin) no longer carry them. It was too expensive to buy something that would just go bad in our purse.
Since they are supposed to be stored in a temp range, discovered the glove box of car is a terrible idea to store them. In my area, that includes even the winter months as cold is just as bad.

As hot as it gets in MCO in the summer, I just assume the one we take “goes bad” and toss it. Storage of 68-77 °F recommended, permissible to verge into 59-86 ºF range

I’ve yet to get 110% confirmation that the park medics carry it (and do so as stated above). Would like to think so.
Epipens should be stocked on planes and in dining establishments. Most insurance plans cover it for an individual but a law should be passed so that businesses can keep one with the first aid kit.
110% but, only if stored properly and staff educated. Not sure of liability issues if a solo diner would need somebody to administer it either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter