Doctor Dies From Allergic Reaction After Raglan Road Meal at Disney Springs

brent02139

Mouseketeer
https://wdwnt.com/2024/02/doctor-dies-allergic-reaction-raglan-road-disney/

Sad news. As parents of a young son who is very allergic to multiple allergents, we are dependent on Disney chefs and CM to keep him safe, of course the responsibility is ultimately ours. Just that when traveling, we're more vulnerable since we can't bring food all the time or go to our regular restaurants who knows us. I know Raglan Road is operated independently and not Disney owned, but this is really unnerving, a Doctor who did everything right (asked multiple times and had an epipen), with ER near by but couldn't be saved. :(

I wonder if Raglan Road has a separate fryer for allergies. If not, I'm amazed they let the doc order onion rings and fritters.

I refuse to ever order any fried foods at restaurants that have shared fryers b/c allergen contamination is a certainty in shared fryers, and I'm that allergic.

I believe RR uses shared fryers between what may be (it once was, I think, but don't know if it currently is) dairy-fee (please check before ordering) and GF fish and (advertised) vegan onion rings. I don't know if the Scallop Forest uses the same batter as the GF?/dairy free? fish or the onion rings.

The fritters, to my understanding CAN be made vegan-style but have not normally been made that way historically.

"Hidden" ingredients always concern me- what were all the ingredients in the mashed potatoes in the entree, for example?

Last edited:
Food allergies are one of the last real life threatening conditions left that are not taken seriously. It's a real shame. We all had to fight Uber Eats to change their Super Bowl commercial making fun of someone having an anaphylactic reaction to eating peanut butter by accident. They saw nothing wrong with that...and barely a few weeks after a young dancer had died from eating mislabeled PB cookies. Imagine the outrage if they made fun of almost any other real medical condition? And epi-pens cost hundreds of dollars. Life saving devices that aren't free even to families that can't afford it. Our countries priorities are screwy.

That said if only she had administered the epi pen quicker and honestly...always have two because the first one doesn't always work properly. The difference between even a few minutes can be the difference. Very scary.

Food allergies are one of the last real life threatening conditions left that are not taken seriously. It's a real shame. We all had to fight Uber Eats to change their Super Bowl commercial making fun of someone having an anaphylactic reaction to eating peanut butter by accident. They saw nothing wrong with that...and barely a few weeks after a young dancer had died from eating mislabeled PB cookies. Imagine the outrage if they made fun of almost any other real medical condition? And epi-pens cost hundreds of dollars. Life saving devices that aren't free even to families that can't afford it. Our countries priorities are screwy.

That said if only she had administered the epi pen quicker and honestly...always have two because the first one doesn't always work properly. The difference between even a few minutes can be the difference. Very scary.

I've always advocated that every stocked first aid kit should have an Epi and an inhaler. Those are the 2 things that you need right now and can't wait even minutes for 911. And somehow, I think if we have previously committed to spending acres of money on sending viral testing supplies to homes, we could commit to stocking every first aid kit with a gratis Epi and inhaler every year for those who request them (business or private residence).

https://wdwnt.com/2024/02/doctor-dies-allergic-reaction-raglan-road-disney/

Sad news. As parents of a young son who is very allergic to multiple allergents, we are dependent on Disney chefs and CM to keep him safe, of course the responsibility is ultimately ours. Just that when traveling, we're more vulnerable since we can't bring food all the time or go to our regular restaurants who knows us. I know Raglan Road is operated independently and not Disney owned, but this is really unnerving, a Doctor who did everything right (asked multiple times and had an epipen), with ER near by but couldn't be saved. :(
Oh my god, how awful 😭😭😭😭😭💔💔💔💔

I've always advocated that every stocked first aid kit should have an Epi and an inhaler. Those are the 2 things that you need right now and can't wait even minutes for 911. And somehow, I think if we have previously committed to spending acres of money on sending viral testing supplies to homes, we could commit to stocking every first aid kit with a gratis Epi and inhaler every year for those who request them (business or private residence).
But Epi-pens expire. That’s why my mom (allergic to bees/wasps, and sulfur based drugs) and I (anaphylactic reaction to penicillin) no longer carry them. It was too expensive to buy something that would just go bad in our purse.

But Epi-pens expire. That’s why my mom (allergic to bees/wasps, and sulfur based drugs) and I (anaphylactic reaction to penicillin) no longer carry them. It was too expensive to buy something that would just go bad in our purse.
it's worth the cost to have them just incase. Yes they are expensive depending on your insurance but life threatening allergies why wouldn't you carry one.

Just devastating and absolutely horrible.

I once ate at a restaurant at DCA and was given bread that I was told was gluten free - it wasn't. My sensitivity is fairly light thankfully, but I always bring Benadryl now, and pack my own snacks for DL.

I think allergies in general aren't taken seriously. 20% of people are allergic to cats and another 20% are allergic to dogs. Air purifiers do not fully remove their dander. There was a story recently about a cat being removed from a library and the comments were brutal, because people just don't care about someone else's allergies.

I recently read about a guy who is so allergic to shellfish that he can't even be on the same plane as someone eating fish, and spent the entire time locked in the bathroom because it was the only filtered area of the plane. It's like that with peanut butter for some people, even smelling it can cause a violent response.

How do you have one just in case? I thought they required a rx
You have to get a prescription or RX from a doctor. For us, we have good insurance, it's $20 for a set of 2 shots. Also, we typically have to buy 2, one for the school to have and one for us to have.

Last week, we were at a mexican resturant, where we asked for no cheese/queso on taco. First one comes out, cheese on it, second one comes out, cheese on the bottom of the tortila. I went into the kitchen and told them, if he eats cheese, he dies. The third one was delivered by the chef and was clear.

Just devastating and absolutely horrible.

I once ate at a restaurant at DCA and was given bread that I was told was gluten free - it wasn't. My sensitivity is fairly light thankfully, but I always bring Benadryl now, and pack my own snacks for DL.

I think allergies in general aren't taken seriously. 20% of people are allergic to cats and another 20% are allergic to dogs. Air purifiers do not fully remove their dander. There was a story recently about a cat being removed from a library and the comments were brutal, because people just don't care about someone else's allergies.

I recently read about a guy who is so allergic to shellfish that he can't even be on the same plane as someone eating fish, and spent the entire time locked in the bathroom because it was the only filtered area of the plane. It's like that with peanut butter for some people, even smelling it can cause a violent response.
Yes, it's not well understood by all, I think that's why it's not taken seriously. Reaction can range from unnoticeable to life threatening. When we tell people our son has a milk allergy, they think it's lactose intolerant, so we start the list with peanut so it get's their attention. Again, usually Disney does a good job, either have the Chef come out or the allergy coordinator, to help us get him food that is safe.

it's worth the cost to have them just incase. Yes they are expensive depending on your insurance but life threatening allergies why wouldn't you carry one.
It’s not worth the cost for some people. Even with our insurance it was too expensive to buy something just for it to expire. THAT is why I don’t carry one and THAT is why they won’t put them in first aid kits or give them away for free.

That is awful to have happened to this family. i do not have food allergies, so please forgive my ignorance but always thought that an allergic reaction would be somewhat fast. Is there a delayed reaction with nuts and dairy?

My brother is allergic to shellfish and he knows immediately if he has eaten Anything with shellfish or if it has been cooked in the same cookware or oil.

Right, that's why they would be sent annually if I was in charge:).

Just like testing supplies expire, and we resent them to all who asked.

That is awful to have happened to this family. i do not have food allergies, so please forgive my ignorance but always thought that an allergic reaction would be somewhat fast. Is there a delayed reaction with nuts and dairy?

My brother is allergic to shellfish and he knows immediately if he has eaten Anything with shellfish or if it has been cooked in the same cookware or oil.

Type 1 reactions (what most see as food allergy reactions) most often occur within a few minutes of ingestion, but can take up to a few hours after ingestion.

https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/allergies-and-hypersensitivities

How awful. She even doubled check with the kitchen. She had and used her Epipen and still didn’t survive. My son has a serious nut and milk allergy and we’ve never had any problems at Disney. In fact they go out of their way to be safe. The chef at The Plaza explained to me that they have a separate kitchen for allergies. Obviously this was not the case at Raglan Road. Epipens should be stocked on planes and in dining establishments. Most insurance plans cover it for an individual but a law should be passed so that businesses can keep one with the first aid kit. To every one who is saying the cost is too high please check out Good Rx. You can get it discounted. Your life or that of a loved one is worth it!IMG_4153.png

For my allergies, I know immediately if I've had tree nut even at contamination levels...but milk (at least contamination level) does take my body 30 min-2 hours to notice b/c (I suspect) the reaction builds from the tiny level and I'm not quite as allergic to milk as tree nuts. That said, I haven't accidentally had a sip of milk to see if I'd react instantly to actual real ingestion of the product vs just contamination from the product.

You have to get a prescription or RX from a doctor. For us, we have good insurance, it's $20 for a set of 2 shots. Also, we typically have to buy 2, one for the school to have and one for us to have.

Last week, we were at a mexican resturant, where we asked for no cheese/queso on taco. First one comes out, cheese on it, second one comes out, cheese on the bottom of the tortila. I went into the kitchen and told them, if he eats cheese, he dies. The third one was delivered by the chef and was clear.

Happened to me at a Mexican restaurant this year - I ordered fajitas and gave my allergies and said no cheese/sour cream. The fajita meat/veg came fine, but the side plate of toppings did not have cheese, but had a big glop of sour cream in the middle. It was delivered by someone other than my waiter, so when I pointed it out to my actual waiter, he took the whole plate back and had it remade and it came correctly the 2nd time.

If it had been wrong a 2nd time, I was willing to eat the fajita meat/veg with nothing else b/c I know how little is safe at Mexican. It's why I almost never eat that cuisine out (and usually my go to is ceviche, but theirs had mango, which is another allergy thanks to the cashew family connection, and no way did they not premake the ceviche, so that was all contaminated).

Always look for the allergy stick when food comes out. And talk to a chef NOT just take a server's word that they will relay the information. Chefs are trained and take extra precautions...waitstaff is not (for the most part)

And yes even at Disney restaurants we've had servers that were very cavalier in their attitudes of "you really want to talk to a chef? Just trust me" Ummm yeah...we'll wait. That is one thing though you have to be willing to be patient and not wait...chefs are busy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter