Doctor who does in-room visits? Anyone have info?

100acreHiker

Fallen down the Disney rabbit hole...
Hello--
Tried searching but couldn't get results that included any name or contact info. We will be heading down in three days. I have a bit of a bug but I'm hoping to turn the corner soon, but my 9 year old asthmatic son has come down with a cough. He seems ok now, and I'm traveling with his inhalers, but if he takes a turn for the worse and needs an antibiotic or steroids, I am thinking it would be good to have the contact info for that doctor who makes in-room calls. I've seen him (her?) referenced here several times. Does anyone have information and contact number just in case? Feel free to DM me if you prefer.

Thank you in advance!

Hello--
Tried searching but couldn't get results that included any name or contact info. We will be heading down in three days. I have a bit of a bug but I'm hoping to turn the corner soon, but my 9 year old asthmatic son has come down with a cough. He seems ok now, and I'm traveling with his inhalers, but if he takes a turn for the worse and needs an antibiotic or steroids, I am thinking it would be good to have the contact info for that doctor who makes in-room calls. I've seen him (her?) referenced here several times. Does anyone have information and contact number just in case?

Thank you in advance!
Will his pediatrician, who knows him, order an antibiotic and steroids for him “ just in case” to take with you? My PCP does this for me with my severe COPD. I only take them if necessary

Will his pediatrician, who knows him, order an antibiotic and steroids for him “ just in case” to take with you? My PCP does this for me with my severe COPD. I only take them if necessary

Possibly. She did once when we were heading to Alaska to stay with family as we're sometimes far away from care. Not the most likely situation, as they are particular about listening to his chest to see if it's bacterial sounding or asthmatic sounding. I am just not trained to do that, so I doubt they'd give me the power to decide and give him meds without knowing.

The in room Dr service we used at BC a few years back was so expensive. Nothing covered by our insurance. Dr called for an ambulance. The Reedy EMT told me it really wasn't necessary to travel by ambulance but at that point who do you believe? Bottom line ended up checking DD out of ER because so many people really sick there. She was tolerating fluids by then and my home Dr 24 hour nurse consult told me to use my judgement. Bottom line about $1200 for in Dr's in room visit and ambulance. I'd do urgent care with a mask.

We used Doctors On Call at WL a few years ago. The doctor was wonderful, came straight to our room and then ordered my DS's prescription which was delivered to the resort. It cost about $250 if I recall and my insurance did cover it (I had to file the claim myself).

Thank you. $250 seems like a reasonable cost, given the cirumstance of being out of network. Not sure if my insurance would cover out of network unless a deductible for out of network visits has been met (it hasn't) but the same would be true if we went to an urgent care while traveling (hospital emergency room visits are covered, though). That said, if we're sick or dealing with something that can be handled by a single physician, I'd rather pay a bit more out of pocket and avoid the stress of waiting rooms and exposing my sons to host of other germs and viruses--impossible at Disney World, I know, but, still, sitting in a room full of folks who have strep and stomach bugs is so not my thing.

Really hoping we all stay in ok shape to enjoy our trip, but it's good to know what our options are. For what it's worth, several years ago I was worried I had developed a blood clot in my leg (I have a history of DVT from years ago) and wound up going to Celebration Hospital. That's the kind of thing you must go to a hospital for, for diagnosis and treatment. Turned out to be a bad case of bruising and muscular pain, thankfully, but they were wonderful and surprisingly quick for an ER. I recommend them if anyone finds themselves in the unfortunate spot of needing that kind of care.

It was our last trip to WDW, we were staying at the Swan and on Christmas Day I woke up feeling horrible, fever, chills, you name it. We called the Front Desk and asked for the nearest ER or immediate clinic, expecting to wait hours. Instead they said they had an on-call Dr. that was onsite. We called our Insurance and they covered it same as an ER visit. She did all the testing and confirmed I had the flu and had Tamiflu with her. It sucked getting the flu at WDW but even 10 years later I've never forgotten how well I was taken care of.

I'd call the Hotel find out options that they know about and then call your Insurance too.

The in room Dr service we used at BC a few years back was so expensive. Nothing covered by our insurance. Dr called for an ambulance. The Reedy EMT told me it really wasn't necessary to travel by ambulance but at that point who do you believe? Bottom line ended up checking DD out of ER because so many people really sick there. She was tolerating fluids by then and my home Dr 24 hour nurse consult told me to use my judgement. Bottom line about $1200 for in Dr's in room visit and ambulance. I'd do urgent care with a mask.

Even when you submitted the costs it wasn't covered? Not even the ambulance? That's surprising. An ambulance on its own can be $800+...

ETA, oh, you left from the ER without being discharged? Yeah, that'll do it with some insurance companies. If the EMTs didn't code it right (since they said it wasn't necessary) then you guys left, yep, I can see why that wasn't covered...

what about doing a video dr call? most drs will do certain scripts like antibiotics and steroids on them and also check with your insurance before leaving to see if they cover these visits like regular visits so you just have to pay your typical dr co-pay

what about doing a video dr call? most drs will do certain scripts like antibiotics and steroids on them and also check with your insurance before leaving to see if they cover these visits like regular visits so you just have to pay your typical dr co-pay
Even when you submitted the costs it wasn't covered? Not even the ambulance? That's surprising. An ambulance on its own can be $800+...

ETA, oh, you left from the ER without being discharged? Yeah, that'll do it with some insurance companies. If the EMTs didn't code it right (since they said it wasn't necessary) then you guys left, yep, I can see why that wasn't covered...
Never made it in to see a Dr. Saw a triage nurse and told to take a seat. My visit was during a flu outbreak epidemic. The Reedy EMT told me the hospital was bad and that's why he kind of told me he disagreed with our transport there. There were some really really sick people in the hallways. My decision to leave was mother's instinct. In the end I paid out of pocket but I made the right choice. It was guest services at the Beach Club who told me to call the in room Dr. If they had mentioned a nearby urgent care I would have gone there. In the end I paid through the nose but I know I made the right decision. Everyone did the best they could. This was 10 years ago and urgent care facilities were not as prevalent. I don't think guest services would recommend an in room service today either.

I would call my insurance carrier, and explain your situation. They should be able to tell you what your options would be as far as covered/out-of-pocket. It may not work in your situation, but I've used the Amwell app for an online doctor visit and they were able to prescribe medication. I did follow-up with my PCP when I returned.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter