Document Question

smiths02

DIS Veteran
We are US Citizens sailing from Port Canaveral on a Bahamas cruise. I understand that driver's license and birth certificate are sufficient. However, what about for people whose name does not match the birth certificate? I remember on our Norweigan cruise that someone told me to bring my marriage license to show why my maiden and married name are different. Is this required on Disney?

(I have no problem bringing my marriage license, it might be harder for my mother-in-law since it's been 50 years)

We are US Citizens sailing from Port Canaveral on a Bahamas cruise. I understand that driver's license and birth certificate are sufficient. However, what about for people whose name does not match the birth certificate? I remember on our Norweigan cruise that someone told me to bring my marriage license to show why my maiden and married name are different. Is this required on Disney?

(I have no problem bringing my marriage license, it might be harder for my mother-in-law since it's been 50 years)
It's often suggested, if you opt for the birth certificate/driver's license ID that you bring along any other documentation necessary to show any name changes.

Are you likely to be asked for it? No. Could you be asked for it? Yes.

If MIL can't get hold of hers, so be it.

Not sure why she wouldn’t have it. Since my mom died I now have my mother and fathers marriage cert, and they divorced in 1974. She kept it all that time.

If there’s a name change, bring documentation. Just because it’s often done here that women change their names doesn’t mean we should anticipate that they won’t want more. They should want more. If a man changed his name on marriage (or said he did) you would want him to carry the bridging document, right?

My daughter just went on the cruise with us, and she had her marriage license with her, not only that, but her divorce and her new marriage license. I tried to tell her to get a passport and all her problems would be solved and it would be less paperwork she would need

Not sure why she wouldn’t have it. Since my mom died I now have my mother and fathers marriage cert, and they divorced in 1974. She kept it all that time.

If there’s a name change, bring documentation. Just because it’s often done here that women change their names doesn’t mean we should anticipate that they won’t want more. They should want more. If a man changed his name on marriage (or said he did) you would want him to carry the bridging document, right?

She probably has it, but she isn't the best at keeping paperwork organized. I mean she has tax records from the 1970s. I just wanted to start her looking for it now. I can order a copy through VitalCheck for $50 if need be, so we will probably do that.

My daughter just went on the cruise with us, and she had her marriage license with her, not only that, but her divorce and her new marriage license. I tried to tell her to get a passport and all her problems would be solved and it would be less paperwork she would need

I should get myself a passport. I would still have time before the cruise even.

My mother-in-law and father-in-law are in their mid-late 70s. It was a stretch to get them to do a 4 night cruise. I'm trying to make the process as easy as possible for them. My mother-in-law's mobility is getting more limited (she can still drive and walk), so the chance that they will ever be out of the country again is slim to none.

You're right. I guess it should be common sense. I had just completely forgotten about it until now. I guess I thought about it for our 2004 cruise as my name had been changed relatively recently. Since I imagine that it is very common, especially for a cruise line that caters to families, I'm just surprised that Disney doesn't spell it out on the required documents.

It's often suggested, if you opt for the birth certificate/driver's license ID that you bring along any other documentation necessary to show any name changes.

Are you likely to be asked for it? No. Could you be asked for it? Yes.

If MIL can't get hold of hers, so be it.

Our travel agent called Disney Cruise and was informed that as long as the driver's license match exactly to what she provided the cruise for our booking, it does not matter that the birth certificates have maiden names.

We just discovered a whole other problem for my father-in-law who has always gone by the date he was born on (for over 70 years!), but we now suspect the official birth certificate has the day his mom took him to the hospital (one day later). If it is not one thing to worry about, it's another.

If at all possible get your passports (Especially with children). Our agent told us that Birth Certificates will work for a cruise but God forbid something happen while you are out of the country and need to fly home. You have to have a passport to get on a plane. It scared me that if one of my children took ill, got hurt, etc., I wanted to be able to get home quickly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter