Dodge Minivan for 8 people? Help!

Sweetie Love

Earning My Ears
Please help! I will be renting a Dodge Caravan from Avis but it says it is a 7 passenger vehicle. I will be traveling with 8 people. There are 5 adults and 3 kids (3,5 and 6). We don't need storage or cargo space since we don't have any luggage. I was wondering if 4 people can fit (even snug) in the back seat? I was thinking that the 3 year old and the 5 year old (they are siblings) and two adults inthe back row. I don't want to rent a E350 from Fox for $500 more. Thanks for your help. :(

I don't think so, our caravan back seat only has seatbelts for three, and it is a tight squeeze when you add in child seats.

Hi. Thanks for your reply. The two adults don't need seat belts. The two boys need a car seat and a booster seat. Can it be done? even snug??

The problem is the seatbelts. And then if you add your booster seats in, I'm not sure if everyone would fit or not. I know that someone would be left without a seatbelt. Could you squeeze 8 people in? I think you could, the real question would be everyone's safety. With the Seatbelt Laws it's up to whoever doesn't want to wear one if it's possibly worth a ticket or not. Hope it all works our for you, and that you have a great trip!!!

You could always call Avis and ask them if they thought everyone would fit. But then again they might suggest a different vehicle.

You could always call Avis and ask them if they thought everyone would fit. But then again they might suggest a different vehicle.

What about having the 3 year old in the second row with his car seat? and another child on the second row with his booster seat? Then in the third row, there wil be only 3 adults and a small child with a booster seat. BTW, every time I tried to call Avis at MCO, they are too busy and the call gets transferred to their general customer service line

How far of a trip are you making? Could the the 3 year old sit in the back in an adults lap? The car seat would take up more room than an adult would, thats where you are going to lose the most room. In my experience the back seats aren't super large, but if you let the 3 year old ride in a lap (if its a short distance) then you would have a lot more room.

Current Dodge Caravans have the stow and go seats which are only 7 passenger because the middle row is 2 separate captain's chairs. Your only option is for an adult to sit on the floor in the middle.

If it was the "olden" days, you could just put the seats in the back down and let the kids just spread out and sit on the floor, like we used to do in the station wagon back in the 70's. Can't do that now.

There are some 8 passenger SUVs out there, maybe you could do some research and figure out which one could work for you.

One more thing - could I ask why you don't have luggage? Do you plan on sending luggage on ME and just renting a van? If that's the case, it won't work. Your only option for that it to send a few folks on ME and the rest in the van. And using the van around Disney is tricky too because the main roads are essentially highways so you want to be safe.

sharadoc said:
Current Dodge Caravans have the stow and go seats which are only 7 passenger because the middle row is 2 separate captain's chairs. Your only option is for an adult to sit on the floor in the middle.

If it was the "olden" days, you could just put the seats in the back down and let the kids just spread out and sit on the floor, like we used to do in the station wagon back in the 70's. Can't do that now.

There are some 8 passenger SUVs out there, maybe you could do some research and figure out which one could work for you.

One more thing - could I ask why you don't have luggage? Do you plan on sending luggage on ME and just renting a van? If that's the case, it won't work. Your only option for that it to send a few folks on ME and the rest in the van. And using the van around Disney is tricky too because the main roads are essentially highways so you want to be safe.

Hi. Four of us will be getting there the day before and leaving our suitcases in the hotel. The next day, I will be picking up the rest of the gang at the airport with their luggage. I am the only driver. I also have a E350 reserved but it's $500 more expensive.

So do all four of you need to go back to the airport to get the others? Why don't some just stay behind?

And are you planning to cram all 8 people in for your whole vacation? I would worry about safety without enough seat belts for everyone.

Think you need a bigger van....

I have a 2012 model and there is no way you can fit 4 people in the rear row. 3 is a bit tight in that row. I just had 7 of us in my van last week and that was the max I could fit.

Are you using the vehicle to simply pick people up, or are you using it as transportation while you're there, as well?

We have eight people going on our trip, and we are renting two vehicles.
Not sure why you only have one driver out of five adults, but if that is the case, you really need to spring for an eight passenger vehicle.

The roads around WDW and Central Florida in general, are not safe.
I would not want anyone in my vehicle to be unbelted.

As to the question of people fitting, if the kids have seats, even boosters, you will not be putting two kids and two adults in the back seat of a mini van.

I have a sienna, and when the grandkids ride with me, there is MAYBE room for another child without a seat to sit between the two boosters in the back seat.

Have I done it before? Yes. Is it legal? No. The Dodge minivans only have seats for 7 people so that is the max it can legally hold.

I grew up in Asia. When I had my kids here, I grew obsessed with carseats, etc and bought one with high safety ratings, never budged without my kids properly belted up, and even bought non-puffy winter coats to ensure their seatbelts were always snug.

I took my kids back to Asia for a visit and next thing I knew, we were propping a borrowed carseat in the floor of the car. Something I would never do here, but there you have it - I did it.

I would suggest 1-2 people just take a Mears shuttle or something from the airport. Or even a hire a towncar. It would certainly cost less than $500.

I don't know if you ever driven around Orlando, but it is crazy. I've driven in cities all over the country, and Orlando is by far the scariest, most dangerous place I've driven. You've got people from all over the world driving in cars they aren't familiar with in traffic they aren't used to. I can almost guarantee you will have to slam in the brakes at least once during your drive from the airport to the hotel, and vice versa. Everyone NEEDS their own seatbelt for safety. $350 more for the bigger van is much cheaper than medical bills or tickets if you get pulled over. And the cops do like to pull over unsuspecting tourists. Ask my FIL!

thumbsup2 I have a 2002 dodge caravan sport and there is no way eight people will fit into my van with or without car seats. It's better to go bigger than to be on the road unsafe.

gloachat said:
thumbsup2 I have a 2002 dodge caravan sport and there is no way eight people will fit into my van with or without car seats. It's better to go bigger than to be on the road unsafe.

Thanks for your help sweetie. .I am stuck with driving the monstrosity of the E350 because it's cheaper than the full size SUV

StitchesGr8Fan said:
I don't know if you ever driven around Orlando, but it is crazy. I've driven in cities all over the country, and Orlando is by far the scariest, most dangerous place I've driven. You've got people from all over the world driving in cars they aren't familiar with in traffic they aren't used to. I can almost guarantee you will have to slam in the brakes at least once during your drive from the airport to the hotel, and vice versa. Everyone NEEDS their own seatbelt for safety. $350 more for the bigger van is much cheaper than medical bills or tickets if you get pulled over. And the cops do like to pull over unsuspecting tourists. Ask my FIL!
Orlando is an easy city. I drive in NYC. I own a 9 passenger Suburban and I love my truck but wanted to see if I can squeeze one more person who was added at the last minute. Lol. Safety first . xoxoxo

I have a 2012 Chrysler Town and Country (same thing as a Dode Caravan) and it was a tight squeeze putting 3 10 year old girls in the back row of my car. There is no way 2 adults and 2 children will fit unless you forget about the car seats and 1 of the kids sit on an adult's lap.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter