Does 18 year old need ID?

16 year old does not have ID. Many 18 year olds don't even have ID.
A minor doesn’t have to show ID, but I think an 18-year-old is expected to have ID if asked. If you don’t have ID maybe there is something else they can do but I think it always takes longer to sort that stuff out, which leads to time away from riding rides.

They want to make sure people aren’t using other people’s passes. Especially if it was used already to enter the park.

16 year old does not have ID. Many 18 year olds don't even have ID.
About a month ago I overheard a conversation at the turnstiles. There was a mix-up with the mom and teen daughter’s tickets. The TM asked if the teen had an ID… even a school ID which she didn’t. Long story short, mom and daughter had accidentally switched their tickets because they forgot to sign the back of the tickets to know whose was whose. Otherwise, they would’ve been sent to guest services to figure it out which often has a very long line.

We have APs but we always still carry ID just in case if the system glitches or in my case, difficulty reading the fingerprint. For us, it’s peace of mind to have ID to avoid the long line at guest services. The one or two times my fingerprint wasn’t picking up easily, I flashed my ID and off I went into the park. So if she has a school photo ID, I would bring it just in case to avoid waiting in the guest service line if there’s a glitch.

Most states will issue a non-driver an official photo ID. It's a good thing to have.

My DS didn't get a license until he was 20, but at 17 he got a state ID. Where I worked the PA elections, you needed an ID your first time voting.

Last edited:
We also drive and told our 18 year old she needed to bring her drivers license. You just never know.

I don’t believe she needed to use it anywhere though.

If you have a passport most countries (including the US) have a passport card - this is a good option for folks that don't have a drivers license - in the US you can get this at a very young age - but under 16 its only good for 5 years

Are you thinking about not bring the ID to the parks or on the trip in general? That's a big difference.

For the parks, honestly I would just to be on the safe side, even if you or DH cary it for him/her. I'm assuming they just don't want to carry a wallet?

As for the trip, YES. You never know what emergency will pop up. You will need it if you need to go to the hospital for some reason or even Urgent Care. Or what if you and DH got sick he/she could drive(assuming they drive?). There are just so many what if things, that we never plan on that COULD happen and it would be so much more difficult if there was no ID present.

Good luck on your trip and I hope y'all enjoy yourselves!

Will 18 year old traveling w parents be asked to show ID to get into parks?
No, under normal circumstances they will not. I suppose you could have a pic of it saved to your phone if you're concerned with losing it or not wanting to bring.

No, under normal circumstances they will not. I suppose you could have a pic of it saved to your phone if you're concerned with losing it or not wanting to bring.

Yep...that's what we do...pic of ID on the phone they accept. I usually only have room key (also acts as the Express Pass) and AP. I will sometimes carry a Credit Card if I am having trouble charging on room key.

Do they have a student ID?

I don't know why they'd be carded but always good to have some sort of ID. I remember my sister had to rush and get one when applying for jobs since it's needed for the I-9 verification. May be good to get one just to have it.

One reason they could be asked for ID is because the finger print scan doesn’t always work. It happens to me multiple times a trip. They do the reset and it still happens. Having my photo ID gets me in the park faster when this happens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter