• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does a 12 y.o. need ID for airport??

TZMOM

DIS Veteran
Neither of us have flown for about a year. Will my son need some sort of ID when he travels? He'll be going out to his dad's alone in another week or so & then the 2 of us are going to WDW in May. He's never needed it before, but because of the attack, just wondering. Has anyone come across this yet?

My 4 year old daughter did not need ID on our September 15, 2001 trip or the December Trip. Two of my clients (with dev. disabilities) were traveling with a staff person in November and one of my clients forgot her I.D.

She is very young and the folks did not ask for her I.D. assumably because she appears so young.

I think you should be o.K.

I'm pretty sure ID is just required for those 18 and over. If he were 15 or so, i'd say bring ID just in case, but i think a 12 yo should have no problem. :) :)

Next question - what do you mean by ID for a 15 y.o. Like a library card, skateboard club card w/his picture on it? I'm not exactly sure what type of ID is "out there" for a child that age. Sorry to be so sheltered, but I never had any ID when I was that age. Maybe when he gets into middle school he'll be given something - I'll have to check with friends who have kids in the higher grades. Thanks again for your replies!!!

I would get him a passport. That way you will always have some type of ID available. I got one for my son when he was about 4.

... which is less trouble to get and less expensive. These can be usually be obtained from the Dept. of Motor Vehicles. It looks sort of like a drivers license, but usually has "For ID only" stamped on it in big letters.

My mother didn't drive, so she always carried an official state-issued ID. I carry a photocopy of my son's passport ID page with us; the airlines have never had any problem with it.

My daughter is 17 months old, and we have to take a copy of her birth certificate, but only because 2 and under fly free on parents' laps. If you're claiming that exemption, you need proof of age. For older kids, I don't think there's any problem - especially if they're travelling with an adult.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter