• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does a 5 year old need a stroller?

I would definitely suggest bringing one. My 5 year old sat in our Maclaren Volo all 10 days of our trip. It was expecially convenient at night when we were leaving the parks. She would usually fall asleep. Sometimes there can be a bit of a wait for buses if you are using Disney transportation and you leave at a busy time.

It's our first trip, and we are renting a double for DDs 6 and 4. Mainly for the 4 year old, because she does get tired out, but figured it's better to have the double. We don't use strollers at home for anything, and haven't in a good two years, but we don't go anywhere all day, for multiple days! And, the four year old weighs 48 pounds (she is almost as tall as and weighs more than the 6 year old!), so if she gets tired, neither I nor DH can carry her very far or long.

We aren't planning to be commandos, but also want to see as much as possible, so I think the stroller will avoid meltdowns not only from the kids, but from me and DH, as well!:rotfl2:

To me it would depend on how active a lifestyle you lead. Our family is quite active, lots of hiking, biking, sports ect., so our kids have not "needed" to be in a stroller since they were three.

But, if your kids aren't used to a lot of activity, it might be more difficult for them to switch it on for a short period of time, especially in the heat.

Have fun:goodvibes

Last year our four year old used a stroller and we were thankful for having it. Sometimes on a busy day even the older kids used it for a quick seat. If you do anything at night your little one can take a snooze (that is until you have to fold it up to get on the bus!)

Can you find a cheap umbrella stroller at a garage sale? Usually less than $5. We did this on a vacation and then donated the stroller rather than bring it home...

We rented a double stroller last June. My 8 year old certainly did not need it, but it was a nice place for him to rest. My five year old used it all the time. It just made things easier.

I think next summer (we are going in July, hot hot hot) I am just going to bring the umbrella stroller we still have and my then 6 year old will use it. He hasn't ridden in it here in years, but Disney is different.

You know your kids best...the week you are going is gonna be hot, and at that age Im sure they will want to sit at some point in a stroller. I would bring it. If you need it you have it in your hotel. If you are renting a car, then dont bring it and if need one, run to walmart and grab an umbrella one. Have a great trip!!

when we were there last year (mid-Aug), we brought two umbrella strollers for my dd (6) and ds (4) and I tell you it has been a life saver for us since when dd or ds are tired, they just sit and off we go. If they want to walk around, we simply put our water bottles or backpack in the stroller. The park is very big and with the hot weather, the strollers are life saver for us.

We rented a double stroller for our kids on our most recent trip in January....they were almost 7 and 4 at the time. I can't imagine not having one. It's a lot of walking, especially for a human with such little legs/muscles. I would rather have a stroller then tired, whining kids...makes the trip stressful for everyone involved. Renting was easy...we used magicstrollers.com. Good luck!

I would definitely bring a stroller for a 5 year old. There is so much walking and the temps can be extremely hot.
My youngest is 5 and we are going in Feb.... We will have a stroller for sure. On the last trip my middle one was 7 and I had a double for her and the little one. The 7 year old walked a lot but the stroller was there if she needed it. They always seemed to fall asleep before we left and it was so nice to be able to roll them into the hotel room w/o disturbing their sleep. :)

Have fun!

I was back and forth about this too. So glad I brought it. We used it everyday, my son got tired of walking and I wasn't carrying him at 5 years old

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter