Does all of the info available online ruin the surprise?

disneysteve

DIS meet junkie
Like many of you, I can't get enough Disney info - reviews, photos, videos, etc. But I often wonder if consuming all of that info at home in advance spoils the experience of seeing new things for the first time in person.

I remember going to Epcot for the first time in spring 1983, or MGM in June 1989 less than a month after it opened, or AK for AP preview in April 1998 before it even opened to the public. Sure I had read stuff, seen the models and concept art at the preview center, and read magazine articles, but that was nothing compared with what we have access to today. Now we can pretty much explore every inch of a new attraction, show, shop, or restaurant while we sit in front of our computers. By the time we actually see the thing in person, we're already pretty familiar with it.

Do any of you make a conscious effort to avoid all of that in order to make your first impression more "authentic" if that makes sense? It just seems like the enjoyment and sense of wonder of seeing something new for the first time is lessened if you've already watched POV videos and full ride throughs, already seen full videos of shows and parades, etc. Or am I just being old-fashioned?

it doesn't spoil it for me because while I know many finer points from reading online, when I was there, it was just so magical that I was so taken and didn't think about the ruined surprise, because it felt surprising anyway!

I only watch POV videos of rides/parades if I've already experienced them, as a way of reliving it. But I see your point re:those, because it would be great to experience a ride for the first time IN PERSON, as opposed to on a screen.

As far as the other stuff is concerned, shops, restaurants, etc., I think that's a bit different. If anything, it's helpful to have that kind of info beforehand to know whether it's a good use of my time/money. And even if someone describes their food or shopping experience to a T, it won't lessen my experience if I go there myself(whereas "giving away" the end of a ride probably would).

So I agree re:rides/shows/parades, that are more "experiences", but in terms of things I'll be CONSUMING, I want as much info as possible.

So I agree re:rides/shows/parades, that are more "experiences", but in terms of things I'll be CONSUMING, I want as much info as possible.
With a restaurant, I do want the basic details. What do they serve? What's the price range? Any house specialties to check out? But do I want to see a 5 minute video tour of the place, showing all of the little details and theming, or do I want to discover that stuff on my own in person?

Just yesterday, I found myself watching a video of the new Hangar bar at Disney Springs. Then I realized I'll be there myself in 6 weeks. I'd much rather explore it in person, not see it all on video for the first time. I want to know about the drinks and the appetizer menu but I'd prefer to soak in the atmosphere myself.

I completely get that. I actually don't watch extensive video previews of restaurants, etc., anyway, because all I'm interested in are the basic details that you mentioned.

I've never had the experience lessened by seeing anything early. Sure there might not be a "surprise" per se, but everyone still had a wonderful time.

I don't think it lessens my experience. In some ways, it makes it better, because I have a heads-up about the small details that I might miss otherwise, and I love the small details.

I don't watch any ride or POV videos of new attractions but don't think pictures or reviews ruin the surprise. I remember going through a very thick book about WDW back in 1990 before my first trip so there were ways to see some of the attractions before experiencing them in person. I even watched the home videos one of my friends made the year before we went so I did have some video, the cameras were way to large to do on-ride POVs at that time though.

Yes.
I was lucky enough to be in the MK for the opening of FoF, it was magical because it was unplanned and we'd not seen anything to do with the parade.

BoG I found a little underwhelming because I think I'd seen pictures and had bigged it up in my head. It was good, but not magical.

This time around I'm doing MNSSHP for the first time. Ive actively avoided watching the Boo to You parade on youtube and short of the headles horseman riding past first and at some point there are grave diggers, I don't kniw anything about it.

In some ways, it makes it better, because I have a heads-up about the small details that I might miss otherwise, and I love the small details.
Yep. Me too. That's where the issue arises. I want the info for that reason. I want to know everything, but at the same time I want to feel like everything is brand new when I first see it. It's hard to balance those two things.

Love getting all the info beforehand. It helps in decision making. It has not ruined any experiences yet.

Even before these kinds of boards I would buy the "hidden" books of places I was about to visit. You know, hidden New Orleans or Off the Beaten Path South Georgia. I like knowing about the different and hidden odd things that most people don't look for. That is what I use the boards for, especially since I go often. I also like the restaurant reviews, of course I take them with a grain of salt (see what I did there?) since everyone has a different idea about food but it's nice to see what other's think. I don't watch any POV videos, I'm not worried about spoiling the ride, you can't video that feeling in your stomach when ToT drops, just don't get anything out of them. I do watch as many as I can find on a resort I'm going to stay in for the first time. I also visit a different resort every time I go for that same reason, I like to see them before I book.

My first trip back to WDW in 13 years was in August 2014. In the 6 months leading up to it, I was on the boards all the freaking time and watched a ton of POV videos, even for rides I had never done.

All that preparation made me very prepared for what to expect, but I have to be honest that it did somewhat ruin the surprise and spontaneity of it. For example, I had never ridden Test Track, but I knew it fairly well before ever stepping foot on it. I really loved Test Track, but I wonder if I took away a bit of the "wonder" by being so prepared.

Now I make an intentional effort to not watch any videos for rides or shows I've never seen.

I don't watch any videos of parades, rides, restaurants. I don't want to know until I'm there. Menus and souvenirs to look out for are something that it's good to know ahead of time to make an informed decision.

I can't watch POV videos because it gives me horrendous motion sickness, but actually riding the rides, I'm fine! I can ride them over and over and not get sick.

It's frustrating to say the least

I just got back from my first trip. I planned intensively...maybe even borderline obsessively.... Watched every ride on youtube...was on these boards multiple times a day.... And I can say with full certainty that what I experienced at Disney was nothing short of magical and all my senses were just so stimulated by everything I saw, smelled and touched! It was wonderful! So for me, it didn't take away, and the planning helped us get so much done.

I typically watch povs to decide if I want to do an attraction or not. For example the new version of test track I may only ride it once whenever the next i go down to wdw is

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter