• Yes

Votes: 18 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mike Cat

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone!

I want to start by staying I am usually someone who goes to Disney every other year, but next year, I will be going twice. I’m curious if an annual pass makes sense for me, as I have never gotten one.

I will be heading to Disney in Feb for the princess half and was going to purchase a 6 day ticket from UCT for $405. Next November, I am going with my family and will need to purchase a 7 day hopper, which is $480.

So added up without an AP, I’m looking at $885 vs the $904 with an Ap. I know that there are discounts with the AP and I plan to eat at at least 4 table services on each trip, so is the AP an easy call? I know that tickets are also about to rise, so I wanted to ask before then! Thank you all in advance, and have an awesome day!!

-Mike

Yeah, definitely go for the AP -- you'll get Memory Maker in addition to the merchandise and food discounts. Also, you can buy a discount ticket through UCT and then upgrade to the AP.

I would say yes to the Annual Pass.

The above poster is suggesting that you purchase a discounted base ticket, and then upgrade that ticket to an AP. Right now, the way that works is when you upgrade that discounted ticket, Disney gives you credit towards the purchase of the AP. That credit will be equal to the gate price for the ticket you are upgrading. So, for example, if you purchase a discounted ticket for $400, and then go to upgrade it to an AP, and the gate price for that ticket is $420, then they will give you a $420 credit towards the price of the AP, thereby saving you $20.

However, there are some issues in play here. We know that the pricing structure for multi day tickets is set to change next week. We do NOT know exactly what the new prices will be, nor do we know if the price of AP's will increase as well. If the price of the AP goes up by more than the amount you can save buying the discounted ticket now, then you will lose money. So, say you have purchased the $420 ticket for $400, but the price of the AP goes up by $40, then you would have done better to just buy the AP now, which is my advice.

I would go ahead and purchase the AP now, before the price changes take effect next week. I can't imagine any scenario in which it will cost you less after those price changes than it will right now.

Keep in mind that with your annual pass, you don't pay to park at the theme parks (of course, not relevant if you are using Disney transportation), you will get a 20% discount for most merchandise purchases, including most bottled drinks, and a 10% discount for many table service dining locations. In addition, there are discounts for many of the special tours, and special ticket events, and you get Memory Maker as well, making the AP a pretty good value.

For the difference, I'd get an AP. You'll also get discounts on purchases, restaurants, and PhotoPass downloads. If you are going down for the Princess Half, with the AP, you won't need to purchase the Memory Maker.

Yes. The difference is easily offset by the 10% discount on merchandise, and many restaurants. The AP also includes Photopass, which we didn't think was a big deal, but now really enjoy getting all the photos in the parks and on the rides.

I did the same thing this year. We did the Dopey Challenge in January and had a second trip planned for just DH and I at the end of October. I purchased a 10-day PH pass from AAA before the January trip so that I could book FP. Upgraded that ticket to AP at the hotel when we checked in and just had to pay the difference. I used the Target purchased Disney gift cards to save an additional 5% for the upgrade purchase. I recall doing the math at that time and the break-even for me was roughly 7 days - 4 days in January and 3 days in October. The biggest advantage was the Memory Maker. I got it free as a AP and it worked for everyone linked to my Disney account. We were able to get all of our Run Disney photos for the 4 events plus all the photos for our park days for the entire family. Huge bonus for us. I didn't use the AP discounts during the January trip as my sister is a cast member. So far on our October trip, I have used the AP discount for a Wild Africa Trek tour. I plan on trying to get my Passholder Cheese Board in October just because I can:) It sounds like being an AP would work out for your situation - especially to get your Princess race photos.

I should have added:

:welcome: to DISboards!

As the previous posters have noted, there are plenty of discounts that would make up for the difference. Are you staying on site in November? You might find AP discounts on the room. If not on site then free parking saves a lot. For two visits a year an AP almost always makes sense.

I vote yes, and do it before the big pricing change.

Next issue.............not sure where you live, but if you can squeeze in one extra trip and stay offsite, you will get a low cost and enjoyable bonus trip with your 365 day window. That will allow you to stay offsite and leverage your free parking benefit at the parks.

The only hoop to jump through is that you do have to get your AP Activated at a ticket booth or DisneySprings Guest Services... They have to see your drivers license and get you your card. For the past few trips I had always gone straight to the taps-stiles, but the AP has been well worth it!

Totally makes sense for your scenario. Just with the dining, shopping and memory maker. Plus you could look to see if you can get any better room discounts with the AP.

Thank you everyone for the responses! I really appreciate it. I think I will definitely get it before next week, and maybe I’ll even try to sneak another quick trip in before it will end next year! Thanks for the help, and I hope you all have a great day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter