• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does anybody answer a call anymore if you dont who it is

Usually no. The exception are if we are expecting someone to do work or service the HVAC. Then we pick up in case they are calling on their cell phone

Nope, but I almost missed the Directv technician today because I didn’t pick up and he didn’t leave a message. I read that covid contact tracers are having a tough time because so many of us ignore unknown calls. Something really needs to be done about all of these scammers calling us every day.

I almost never answer calls that aren't in my contacts or I at least know the number or am expecting a call from a number I don't know such as service person coming to my house.

Few months ago at work, I don't know why, but I stopped on the forktruck and pulled my phone out of my pocket and answered it. Turned out to be my bank asking me information and informing me of a red flag that came up with someone trying to access my account online. I told them I'd call back somewhere quiet. Grabbed the bank's number off their internet site and called rather than calling the number on the phone. They patched me to the same guy who was part of the fraud department.

Landline - I screen the calls. Never pick up from numbers/people I do not recognize. I answer 95% of the time when I know who is calling. I have to be in the middle of something not to pick up/not a good time, etc.

Cell phone - more or less the same. I don't answer if I don't recognize the number. There have been times when I am waiting for a call from someone not on my contact list. Their "name/company/business" might not always come up. Sometimes I recognize the first three numbers and will pick up "just in case" it's the call I am waiting for. Does not happen too often.

My caller ID on my landline is pretty accurate. If I don't receive a number, I don't answer it. If I see a number I don't recognize, I look it up on a site like "findwhocallsyou" or something similar. If it's legit, they usually call back within a day or two. I have the Ooma VoIP service, so I can block numbers that are robos, spam, solicitations, or what have you. I know many of these are spoofed numbers, but I do see a nice decrease in robos.

As far as my cell, if the number is not in my address book, I don't answer. I don't give out that number except for people I trust. There's also a robo/scam filter built in, so it informs me a "scam likely" message instead of the number.

If you are one who won't or can't always answer, you may want to make sure your mailbox isn't full. I found out today mine was and I had no clue. I was expecting a call from someone regarding swim lessons and was irritated they had not called me, so I called them. The lady said she called twice but the VM box was full. I noticed I had some missed calls and thought it unusual none had left a VM in a while. I had no idea the box was full. That has never happened to me before. So, FYI....

Most of them are just calling me about my car’s extended warranty lol.

Me too!

Except (poker reference) I see their jerk hand and raise them one because I make it a point answer with the intent of wasting as much of their time as humanly possible. I wait until a human is on the phone then talk nonsense until they hang up and then smile because if it can't be stopped at least it can cost them money.

No landline anymore but when I did have one I'd make up different business names and tell them the person they are looking for moved and owes me back rent, that usually got me onto a do not call list.

If you are one who won't or can't always answer, you may want to make sure your mailbox isn't full. I found out today mine was and I had no clue. I was expecting a call from someone regarding swim lessons and was irritated they had not called me, so I called them. The lady said she called twice but the VM box was full. I noticed I had some missed calls and thought it unusual none had left a VM in a while. I had no idea the box was full. That has never happened to me before. So, FYI....
I got my soap box about two years ago about my co-workers who don't clean out their work phone voice mails and was told by more than one that "nobody checks voicemails, keep calling or texting until I answer" They added, they don't even know what the password is to check their voicemail. Mind you these are people I need to be able to get immediate hold of, and they all have company cars with Sync so they can answer calls and texts while driving.

I do, but my 85, nearly 86 year old dad, is in an assisted living apartment and has full time helpers. I don't have all of their phone numbers, or the phone numbers of the nurses/staff at the assisted living and if dad has an issue I need to find out what is happening and if I need to meet him at the hospital. My carrier is pretty good at screening for potential spam callers.

Yeah, but it's work-specific and I typically google what the local area code is where I am so I know what kind of number to watch for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter