• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does anyone else go alcohol-free in WDW?

I don't drink much in general--probably 2 or 3 drinks a year total on special occasions. Last Disney trip we had the DP with drinks included, and I still only had 1 during our 6-day trip. This year DH and I are going kid-free and again have the DP. I can see myself getting a drink at a few of our TS restaurants and 1 at Oga's, so probably 1 a day.

I don't find Disney booze prices to be any different than NYC, Chicago, Seattle, or Miami's (where I live). A martini here will set ya back $15 at least plus tip. Disney at least gives you generous pours.

Am I wrong?

I don't find Disney booze prices to be any different than NYC, Chicago, Seattle, or Miami's (where I live). A martini here will set ya back $15 at least plus tip. Disney at least gives you generous pours.

Am I wrong?
You are correct. Disney’s price per glass of wine is pretty standard. A glass will usually cost you what you could buy the bottle for. They do have some very nice wines on the “by the glass list” so the prices can seem high. We enjoy sitting at the bars. Many bartenders will let you taste a few to help you choose. And I am lucky to have TiW which helps cut the price.

Nope. We like wine with dinner and I'm generally far too lazy to make mixed drinks or cocktails at home so I like to try different ones that someone else does for me when I'm on vacation. Also, there are far more different brands and varieties of wine, beer, liquor and liqueurs than I have at home or are available to me at home so it's my opportunity to try them out.
Excellent point! So many options & very knowledgeable bartenders

I should point out that alcohol has no taste; it's the fermenting with sundry ingredients from which beer, vodka, bourbon, gin, and so emerge. Each tastes differently. You wouldn't say a gin and tonic tastes like a glass of white wine any more than you'd say a cheeseburger and Porterhouse taste the same.
Pure alcohol does produce a burning sensation and as someone cleverly noted above-tastes like burn. It also sucks the moisture from your tongue and mouth leaving you with dry mouth. You can’t increase the proof of alcohol through normal distillation higher than 192 proof because of the chemistry of alcohol water mixtures. Everclear is just below the maximum proof.

I tried absinthe one time and- it tasted all right at the time and went down too easily with the traditional sugar added component. I tried it one time and will never ever drink it again. I was sick the next day and my vision wasn’t normal because of the wormwood component I guess. My advice is never drink absinthe. It is a poison but not a fatal poison. Nasty stuff and I have no idea how artists could have consumed it routinely.

My advice is to stay away from Ouzo also.;)

Yes, we definitely drink at Disney. It's vacation and we have 3 kids, need I say more? We drink at home too. We're not heavy drinkers by any means but we enjoy a drink or two here and there. I tend to stick to beer and wine unless I've done my homework and know where to go for the good cocktails. Nothing I dislike more than paying $15+ for a sugary cocktail with little to no booze in it.

We bring our own booze, and drink it after we're done in the parks. We go in June, and its just too hot to drink during the day. Plus time is money at WDW, so we grab a quick lunch and go.

We use to drink more often before having our now 4 year old. We would grab a few drinks in Epcot and people watch for a bit. Now, I’m lucky if I get a drink with dinner while on vacation. Maybe one day I will get my grey goose slushy again lol

I say it depends. In the parks, I drink very little alcohol, if any. I honestly don't like drinking alcohol when it's too hot, and usually FL weather crosses that threshold for me. If I do, it's one drink maybe during a meal.

That said, our trip to Disneyland last month had perfectly mild CA weather...and we were staying at the Disneyland Hotel...and we had a passed out toddler in a stroller by the end of the night...so my wife and I would sit outside Trader Sams, enjoying the cool night breeze and quiet over 2/3/4 drinks before taking those last few steps and rolling the kid up to the room where we could all pass out.

We do drink, but prices keep us from drinking too much. I think I had a couple of drinks over our week there and my husband enjoyed a beer or glass of wine with dinner most nights. We tend to be overly cautious about drinking if we have to drive home - we rarely both have a drink if we're going out - so it is nice that we don't have to drive & we can both have a drink. Because it's so expensive, I try to choose special drinks - I had an amazing coffee drink at the Festival of the Arts last trip and I'm excited to try something special at Oga's this time.

What do you do and why?

Because we can - no kids, no family, no one to take care of. It will just be two Moms relaxing, two friends having fun. WDW has unique drinks that we want to try. Can you tell we don’t get out much?!! Since we aren’t big drinkers, we probably talk more then actually drinking -such a shame! 😂 Hopefully it is not hot, don’t drink when it is hot.

Last edited:
I am a beer drinker. First choice is always Guinness or any other stout if Guinness isn't available. If no stouts, porters or abbey available I go for whatever is premium on the menu. I don't do Bud lol. But to answer your question, We drink at home 1 or 2 days on the weekend but never ever get drunk as we have 2 young girls. We just returned from Disney today. I drank beer every single day and on some days I had cocktails. Whiskey of course. I even drank before noon more than once. When I'm on vacation, even at Disney World I drink more than when I am at home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter