Does anyone go to Ca and just visit DL and DCA?

ADisneyQueen

DIS Veteran
We will be coming from NY with 8 and 4 yr. old DDs. We are thinking of going to Disney for 5 days at a slow pace so we can relax and do everything. We've thought of possibly renting a car for a day to go to the beach, but the thoughts of driving around sounds tiring. We already spend enough time in our car. Do any of you just go to Disney and that's it? We've been to WDW several times and the best trips were when we stayed onsite and did not rent a car. I guess I'm concerned that we're going all the way there, should we be doing more? We've been to Sea World in Ohio and Orlando. Are the other places that great? Would you rather have been at Disney?

When we go for our "Disney" trips we don't like to do anything else. It just seems to add more stress and complication. In the past we would always try to go to San Diego, Knotts, or Universal, etc... All those other places are fun, but they aren't as special or magical as Disney.

I know many people like to do as much as possible, but I don't find it as enjoyable. The kids prefer to just do Disney also. We don't rent a car anymore, we just shuttle from the airport to the hotel.

We find it much more relaxing and 'magical' to just to Disney. We spend at least 3-4 full days at the parks (more when we go during busy times). We like to stay at the HoJo on Harbor Blvd, it's a 7 - 10 minute walk to the parks so we can easily go back for a rest mid-day if needed.

We are flying out from the east coast this June for the very first time and we are also just doing Disney.

We had originally looked into renting a car or doing tours of LA and Universal. Taking into account budget and time restraints, we purchased 5 day park hoppers and will just do Disney. We enjoy spending time at the pool and feel we will be able to see most everything in the parks at a leisurely pace even during a busier time of year.

I think your plan to do only Disney is a good idea, especially considering the ages of your children. Rather than spending money on a car and other activities, I would stay at the DLH where there is a nice sandy play area as well as the Neverland Pool, and splurge on the Princess Breakfast for your DD's. There are also things to do at Downtown Disney (check out Club Libby Lu). Whenever I would take my DS (now 13) anywhere else, at DL or WDW, he always would have rather spent the time at Disney.

We will be...after our cruise we are staying 3 extra days just to do DL and DCA. We will come back to CA at a later date to do all the other fun things there are to do there.

the last few years we did just DL and DCA, but this year we are going out to Magic Mountain (i need some big coasters this year).

We are driving from Oregon and will be doing only Disney. Our children are/will be ages 3.5, 10, and 13. Once we arrive, we don't plan to get back in our vehicle until we leave to go home. We bought 5 day hoppers and are staying at the DL Hotel. We plan to swim in the middle of the day back at the hotel. We will be busy, but at the same time, it sounds more relaxing just to stay at Disney the whole time. If we had a couple of weeks, we'd do other things too. We just have 9 days and that includes travel time

:flower:

De Ann

My DW and I will be in DL the first week in Aug (5 days for the parks). We both have never been to the LA area before yet have no desire to see anything but DL while there. We are giving ourselves plenty of time to take in all DL has to offer and that is all we are looking forward to doing. We are going all out with this trip as we see it as out last "hurray" before starting a family next summer. :)

On the other hand, my sister and her husband were in LA last summer (his sister lives out there) and they only spent a half day in DL and went to San Diego for a couple of days. It all comes down to what you like and want to see.

We too are pretty much just doing Disney. We will be there for 8 days and getting a five day pass. We will also be going to two baseball games (because Lord knows, living right by Shea Stadium we only go to about 20 a year there :lol ) I am thinking of doing maybe Universal but if we don't do it, I won't come home upset. I'm going mainly to see DISNEYLAND and since there is a 99% chance I'm not going to get back to Calif again I want to see every nick and cranny.

We will be staying at DLH Oct 9-12 and have 5 day park hoppers. We are going to the Tutankhamen exhibit one day though, and will go to San Diego either before or after for Sea World and the zoo. With young children I would stick with DL and DCA though. Lots of time later to see San Diego, Hearst Castle, Yosemite, the Redwoods, San Francisco, etc...

There have been times we are gone to other parks, but the last few times we have been there we only stay at DL and DCA. We just love the magic and the other parks just don't have that. We are going in October and only going to DL and DCA. :cool1:

Well I grew up in So Cal and gosh darn it, those parents of mine really get upset when e try to go to DL and not visit them too. Actually I see the merit of just doing Disney, but having livied in SoCal I would know what we were missing... The Getty, The Huntington, Knott's (which has a charm of its very own, not Disney but still a great park), the beach, the food... SoCal has some of the best food in the world, sadly your choices are not world class if you stay onsite. Not that there are not good eats, just not world class eats. Still, if I were new to So Cal I doubt I would venture out onto that freeway system. Five days in DL and DCA, wow. Cool.

I went 2 years ago without my kids and did DL, Universal, and Magic Mountain. It was not a vacation it was a govacation. We did not stop. When I got home I felt like I needed another week to recoup. This year we are taking my 4 and 6 year old and we are taking 5 days to do DL and DC only. I thougt the rides at the other parks are really for older kids and adults but not little ones. I am really looking forward to a nice slower paced vacation with the kids!!

:banana: :Pinkbounc :banana:

We went last week, my dd almost 5 and myself, we spent 4 nights at the DL hotel, and did not rent a car. It was great, we went back to the room in the middle of the day to rest (nap) and swim. Had plenty to do and were able to be semi-relaxed. I would recommend it. If you plan too much you don't really enjoy anything. :rotfl: :banana:

Disneyland_emily said:
There is anything in CA besides DL and Jack in the Box??
Yep, Carl's Jr (Hardee's is NOT the same)! ;)

We're headed to CA next month and don't plan to do anything except enjoy DL. There is SO much to do in CA it's too hard to fit everything in unless we could stay a lot longer. For now, we're happy just to go at all.

I think folks who try to fit DL and SD in one trip are a bit crazy - they aren't right next door. I would rather have a relaxing trip to one or the other than driving and having truncated visits to each.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter