• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does anyone here have a slow-cooker?

Jenn

DIS Veteran
I got one as a wedding gift 8 years ago. I have never used the thing, but came across it while cleaning out my cabinets last night.

How the heck do you use it? Same as a crock pot?

sauce recipes for the army.......I also did a chicken......cut it up in pieces.....and put that in the slow cooker on a bed of onions.....then added a can of tomatoes all smooshed up and then my favorite seasonings......this was so good and tender

Slow Cookers cook faster than crock pots!! Slow cookers on High can cook meat[except a roast] in 2 hrs. So they are great for throwing a one pan type meal in

A meat,
a vegi or two,
a sauce [tomatoe type or a cream soup]
then a potatoe or rice to serve it over

Then add 2 to 4 hours and Wal-la Dinner!!

Everything comes out cooked tender,and yummy!! And you look like a hero!!:cool: :) :earsgirl: :earsgirl: :)

I thought that slow cookers and crock pots were the exact same thing but Crock Pot was just a brand name.

Slow cookers are an oblong metal pan that sits on a heated base that doubles ,they say ,as a griddle[never use it this way!!big disaster!!]and the base has a heat control knob with several different heat settings.

I use mine much more than the crock pot,I only use it for making dry beans because from washing in the morning you throw them in and foget them till time for supper!!

But with the Slow cooker early on sunday morning we throw in the meat ,the sauce, the vegi, and potatoes and by lunchtime you have a no muss meal.

often I only cook the meat this way. then micowave the vegi and do mashed potatoes.

or if I cook just the meat and a sauce then it can go over egg noodles.

But the meat comes out firm and tender and falls apart with a fork! and this happens with,chicken,steaks,italian sausages,pork chops, and any kind of small Roast!

my slow cooker is the same thing as a crock pot. I believe crock pot is a brand name. I guess there are different types of slow cookers (as the one described at one with a griddle under it) but from reading on all the boxes when looking for one, a crock pot is the brand name for a slow cooker (rival I think). I do find my corningware slow cooker cooks faster than the older types that the crock is not removable. I also had at one time a multi cooker which was like a deep fat fryer with a crock insert for slow cooking

I have both a slo cooker (given to me by my mom, but never used so far) and a crock pot. There is a difference in the two. Most peole have a crock pot, that some people refer to it as a slow cooker, but in fact, a slow cooker is different. It is twice the size (at least!) of a large crocc pot. My mom uses hers to cook her ham and turkey in every holiday. (at the same time)
I've been meaning to get mine out and cook in it, yet I don't have a recipies for cooking with it.

My slow-cooker is smaller than a crock pot. It is rectangular shaped and resembles a casserole dish with a glass lid and it sits on a "griddle" type of burner like the one described above. It is made by West-Bend.

Mine is the West-Bend variety. I like it because my Crockpot is the old kind that doesn't have a liner. The slow cooker pan goes right into the dishwasher. I LOVE dishwashers! The pan is also non-stick which helps make clean up a breeze. I didn't realize it cooks faster. I usually use the same recipes for both, but you may have a point. I don't usually throw raw meat into my Crockpot and I do cook meat in the slow cooker.

By the way, I have tried the Reynolds Oven Bags in my Crockpot several times since I read about them on this board. They work great. I just line the pot with one (kind of like a trash can liner), fill and put the lid on. Clean up is so much easier! Thanks for the tip! Wonder if this would work in the slow cooker as well? You'd probably have to seal the bag instead of lining the pan.

Is to always brown the meat or poultry in a frying pan FIRST and THen proceed with the recipe - makes a HUGE difference in the quality of the finished product.

I use my crock pot at least once a week - it's great to put in dinner in the morning and come home from work to a home cooked meal. We love pot roast, ribs, ham in gingerale etc.

I looked at all the slow cookers the ohter day at K mart because I was thinking of this thread. Crocck Pot is only a brand name . The slow cookers vary in size form the very small ones to the large 5 or 6 qt ones. They did not have any of the cookers that others are describing as a slow cooker so I didn't get to see if they are called slow cookers or something else.

OK, I used the wrong name. What I am talking about is a Roaster Oven that is a "slo-Cooker" oven. I also have a crock-pot/slo-cooker. I'll repost this question for a Roaster Oven.
Gerri

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter